Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery cycle ranges and degredation over the cars lifetime (90-20%?)(95-5%)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Ive been a huge Tesla fan and investor for about 5 years now. I am finally ready to pull the trigger on my first tesla (long range model S), but I am hesitant because I have a 200m round trip commute every day. I've done the math and figured I could make it there and back even on the coldest winter days (-40 in North Dakota), but driving 50k miles per year, I want to know the degradation of the battery overtime if I find myself leaving at 95% or 100% in the morning and coming back with 5% charge or less. I cant find a lot of data on this, so hopefully some of you will have some real world experience. I've found examples but not any that specify a large daily discharge such as my scenario.

TL;RD- For those of you who do daily cycles of almost the entire battery (around 90% or more, to 10% or less), how has your overall range degradation been and how many miles are on your vehicle?

I regularly do about 90-30% on my S75. Just hit 120,000 miles and have observed ~12% degradation.

You should expect close to that degradation in a similar period going 90-20, and I’d wager substantially more at 95-5.

If charging at your workplace isn’t an option, I’d proceed with caution. You’d be fine most of the time, but the extreme cold is gonna get ya. You’re not gonna want to pucker every day wondering if that 5% is gonna get you home in -40 temps.

That said, the Model S is a great long range commuter.

Hey guys,

Ive been a huge Tesla fan and investor for about 5 years now. I am finally ready to pull the trigger on my first tesla (long range model S), but I am hesitant because I have a 200m round trip commute every day. I've done the math and figured I could make it there and back even on the coldest winter days (-40 in North Dakota), but driving 50k miles per year, I want to know the degradation of the battery overtime if I find myself leaving at 95% or 100% in the morning and coming back with 5% charge or less. I cant find a lot of data on this, so hopefully some of you will have some real world experience. I've found examples but not any that specify a large daily discharge such as my scenario.

TL;RD- For those of you who do daily cycles of almost the entire battery (around 90% or more, to 10% or less), how has your overall range degradation been and how many miles are on your vehicle?
I grew up in ND and don't like those odds. Any given day it would be fine. But keep in mind the winds that are prevelent. Model S is a sleek vehicle but -40 temps and 30kt headwind will cut heavily into range. Plus, that is not the day you want to be stuck on the side of the road with a dead battery and no heat. Get a charger solution at your destination and you will be good. It will also let you pre-heat before you head home.

I grew up in ND and don't like those odds. Any given day it would be fine. But keep in mind the winds that are prevelent. Model S is a sleek vehicle but -40 temps and 30kt headwind will cut heavily into range. Plus, that is not the day you want to be stuck on the side of the road with a dead battery and no heat. Get a charger solution at your destination and you will be good. It will also let you pre-heat before you head home.
Yeah thats exactly my worry. I head NW up to Grand Forks, and its almost always a NW headwind as you probably know. I did some basic math factoring in about 40% range loss (worst case) and not factoring in charging on a 110v outlet at work on base, but it seems like it would cut it close on a cold day. Especially when im putting on 50k miles/year

Yeah thats exactly my worry. I head NW up to Grand Forks, and its almost always a NW headwind as you probably know. I did some basic math factoring in about 40% range loss (worst case) and not factoring in charging on a 110v outlet at work on base, but it seems like it would cut it close on a cold day. Especially when im putting on 50k miles/year
Eeek, given your destination, getting a charger installed is not an easy ask. Also, parking outside will consume range

I have a 200m round trip commute every day
Damn only 200 meters you should just walk 😂 Proper abbreviations are always appreciated.

As its said already you can expect a smidge of degradation, as all batteries do but you'll be fine.

The more pressing issue is the cold outside parking during winter you will lose a good amount of juice from that. Why not ask the company you work for to install a chargpoint or something on site? there is usually a tax deduction that can be made when a business installs them.

I charge on the daily with a 120V outlet at home and on my P85D i get about 14% every 17 hours charging at 10 amps because if I try 12A it pops the breaker. So if you were to plug into a 120V line it wouldn't do much for you during the workday and would just change your cold weather losses from some to a smidge

Reactions: BigNick
Hey guys,

We have charged all of our Tesla's to 90% daily since our first 85D in 2015. That is regardless of how much is used if any they are always kept at 90% at home.

All three of our S' are sold now so can't give you an update on those BUT our 2017 Model X75 with 22" factory wheels is at 203 miles at 90% which works out to 225 miles at at full 100% 75kWh battery size charge.

Can't easily find what the 100% charge was supposed to be but we have had very little degradation at 90% charge year round regardless of daily usage.

I've not looked at the data collected in the google crowd sources Tesla MaxRange battery survey, but that data would suggest your bigger issue is routinely running below 5%, not the charging to 95%. Frequency of charging to 100% showed no significant impact on apparent battery degradation, but the one factor that did show correlation to increased degradation was frequency of running the battery to low state of charge, <10%.

Also, at the extreme ambient temps your describe plugging into a 110-120V outlet may barely keep the battery warm and from losing range, but you'll likely find you will not add any significant range in subzero temps. And as others have said, wind and snow will not be your friend.

Personally, I wouldn't plan on it until I knew I had a good daytime charging solution or supercharger on the route. The other option is you recognize it will not meet the need in those winter conditions and keep a back-up vehicle for days where ambient conditions are not favorable. I'm guessing you'd prefer not to do that, which I understand, but only you can answer if using it 6-9 months of the year justifies getting it.