Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Damage after Sitting @ 0% for 1 or 2 Weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings all-
Does anyone have any idea on the affects on a Tesla battery after sitting at 0% charge for several week? I know that sitting at 0% and 100% for prolonged periods is bad on the battery, but is there any solid data on how the car/range is affected?

Also- is there a chart/app that will tell you the past battery charge state(s) over time?

Background: I have a 2018 LR AWD incoming from Carvana and there's no way to know if the car has been sitting at 0% or has been plugged in.

AND- if it has sat at 0%, would the damage be seen immediately or would it take a few years for it to show up?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Most of us aren't battery engineers here. From what I understand, a significant amount of the damage is probably done during the 0% resting phase, not after. If some sort of cracking/weakening of the internals was involved with 0% (I thought this was more of a resting at 100% thing), then later impacts might be possible.

If you're worried, best would be to see the car charged and see what range it reports before purchase. If it's a very unreasonable range for the percent state, then you know something's wrong.

Just like a gas car, buying without inspection is indeed risky.

Reactions: IdaX and totoro722
Any chance Carvana could ask previous owner for his charging records, you could say, as part of the car's history?

But why would anyone keep a Tesla, short of a totaled smoking ruin, in a zero charge state?

Even Tesla does this with vehicles in service. They're put on a lot and forgotten about or not actively tended to. Depending on what's enabled, it's easy for it to drop to 20%. The rest is a matter of time, but the rate should be at least a bit slower.

For used car sales, I can totally see how it ends up in the care of someone that doesn't know to keep a charge on it.

Unless you came across some extremely benevolent and data-keeping past owner who would just love to be bothered to share information, I highly doubt there's charging records to be shared.

Thanks, everyone!

Carvana has a 7 day return period and I will be cycling the battery charge several times. That should give me a reasonable indication on it's health.

Just wanted to get some info from anyone who might have some incite.

I drive 120 miles round trip everyday for work so it should be easy to figure out lol

Reactions: IdaX
Did you go on the Carvana reddit site to get a 500 off referral?

Thanks, everyone!

Carvana has a 7 day return period and I will be cycling the battery charge several times. That should give me a reasonable indication on it's health.

I drive 120 miles round trip everyday for work so it should be easy to figure out lol

Thanks, everyone!

I would charge it right back up to 100% and see what the BMS tells you as I would expect the reading to be quite accurate as its had the opportunity to charge from a real 0 to 100. Then if the next couple of drives are abnormally low in range book it in. I would expect because of the low end buffer the car remained without charge for less time than you think. Latest updates have dramatically reduced the vampire drain on the model 3 when idle for me at least. It would be nice maybe one day if Tesla could add some advanced stats tab to the menu.

I have a 2018 LR AWD incoming from Carvana

Whats the VIN? I sold my ~2300 LR RWD back to Tesla back in June 2018 to get a Performance Model and they took a few MONTHS to remove it from my account. Over that time, i could see that they left the car sitting in a lot for weeks on end and eventually the battery died when i could no longer see what it was doing which was pretty surprising.

Whats the VIN? I sold my ~2300 LR RWD back to Tesla back in June 2018 to get a Performance Model and they took a few MONTHS to remove it from my account. Over that time, i could see that they left the car sitting in a lot for weeks on end and eventually the battery died when i could no longer see what it was doing which was pretty surprising.
YOU, created that problem by checking on the car and waking it.

YOU, created that problem by checking on the car and waking it.

I disagree. Carvana created that problem by not removing the previous owner from the car when they took ownership of it. @kbecks13 should not have had access to the car through the app for "months" and thats the new owners fault. Simply opening his tesla app would show both cars, right?

5YJ3E1EA6JF038390

It's blue with 19" wheels.

Are you aware that for what Carvana charges for a used Model 3, you could buy a brand new Model 3 from Tesla instead?

Also, their used Model 3's come with a warranty reset and that's worth a lot as well . . . .

The used value of a Model 3 is so high that buying new is often worth the few token extra thousand dollars.

For an SR+, yes. Not for any long range models. This is a LR RWD.