Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Dangerously Low

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model X is at the SC that sent it to a body shop to fix things that I found at the time of delivery. I am getting an alert on my phone that my battery is very low and I need to charge it immediately. Its late now and I have been trying to talk to roadside assistance to see if they can do anything, no luck, waiting for 65 minutes on hold.

What if my battery runs down to zero? What will happen to my battery in the long run? I cannot believe that they did not charge my car before sending it to wherever they had to for paint job. What should I do if by tomorrow morning the charge reaches zero? How bad is it for the battery pack? I cannot see what the current charge is on my car since they disabled App access.

My car has been to the SC a few times. For those of you who find problems with your car during delivery, it is just easier to decline delivery I think so that you save a LOT of your time and anxiety trying to run around the SC to get those problems taken care of. Tesla is great and all, but at the end of the day, they are a start-up and are really struggling to keep up due to the flood of Model 3s and all the problems that they have to fix, which they shouldn't have had to if they tightened the QC and QA at the factory.

Does anyone know how a zero battery will impact my car in the long run. How do I get Tesla to document this in my vehicle history especially because I do not know what the charge is now?

It will not allow it to go critically low, the pack will disconnect and the car won’t be powered. But the battery will be kept above its lower buffer zone.

It will be critically low that the can will not run.

Once loads are disconnected, it can last a long time.

From reading here and elsewhere for many years.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
There is no chance you are damaging your battery. The battery will shut down if it gets critically low and it can stay that way for a long time without taking damage. Should the battery get damaged Tesla will replace it under warranty.

When the battery shuts down, it still has aprox 8% left. Once it's shut down, there is no drain whatsoever so the charge level won't drop any more. Only if it stays like that for months would it start to get critical.

There is no chance you are damaging your battery. The battery will shut down if it gets critically low and it can stay that way for a long time without taking damage. Should the battery get damaged Tesla will replace it under warranty.

When the battery shuts down, it still has aprox 8% left. Once it's shut down, there is no drain whatsoever so the charge level won't drop any more. Only if it stays like that for months would it start to get critical.

Thanks, this is informative.

We have a lot of fires going on in California, I am wondering how all the smoke will impact the paint job. I mean, if they paint with all this smoke in the air, would all the soot/ash in the air get trapped while they paint the car?

I once went out of town and the 12V battery in my X failed and started to cannibalize the battery pack. When I returned home after 2 weeks, my X said that it had 0% charge left. But even with zero charge, I was able to drive it around to the charges (located on another level in our garage) with no problem.

BTW, I called Tesla and they sent a mobile repair vehicle (a Model S!) to replace the 12V battery. Very interesting to see them access the battery through the frunk!