Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery day and model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it worth waiting for the battery day before I place my model Y order? It is just two weeks out (09/22). After seeing yesterday's change in delivery time from 2-4 weeks to 7-11 weeks, I regret not placing my order earlier.

What does community think? Thanks!

You can certainly place your order to get in the queue but I’m personally putting off taking delivery until I see the battery day announcements. We placed our order Saturday 9/5 and was notified yesterday that we had a VIN and the car was available. I told them we weren’t ready yet and would be looking to take delivery no earlier than end of month.

You can certainly place your order to get in the queue but I’m personally putting off taking delivery until I see the battery day announcements. We placed our order Saturday 9/5 and was notified yesterday that we had a VIN and the car was available. I told them we weren’t ready yet and would be looking to take delivery no earlier than end of month.

That's really silly. You just put yourself at the back of the line for potential announcement of things that are highly unlikely to be put in the Model Y in the next 6 months, if ever. If you are hesitating on taking delivery of a Model Y just because of Battery Day and that's going to push back delivery until December, you'll simply be doing this dance in perpetuity. It's like not buying the current flagship phone because some future improvements are going to be announced in a few weeks that won't even be put in a phone for at least 6 months.

That's really silly. You just put yourself at the back of the line for potential announcement of things that are highly unlikely to be put in the Model Y in the next 6 months, if ever. If you are hesitating on taking delivery of a Model Y just because of Battery Day and that's going to push back delivery until December, you'll simply be doing this dance in perpetuity. It's like not buying the current flagship phone because some future improvements are going to be announced in a few weeks that won't even be put in a phone for at least 6 months.
Agree to disagree, but I certainly understand where you’re coming from. For my situation the delay isn’t entirely for battery day announcements, that’s just my motivation. My wife is pushing to delay till closer to Christmas for other reasons and I’m compromising with her.

Reactions: DanDi58
If you are already waiting, just take delivery end of of October or mid november and you will have 2021. Silly to say that just because you choose to delay 1 month it means you fall into some infinite loop of perpetual delay. Waiting for battery day to see any major announcements is smart, which will most likely not result in anything new for the Y but will allow you to get a 21' model year Y in Oct / Nov time frame.

It’s two weeks away. Two weeks. Unless you’re the FOMO type, waiting is free, and prudent if you do not need a car.

It’s fallacious logic to say if they wait two weeks for battery day, they’ll end up waiting for perpetuity. Waiting is more nuanced than simply wanting the latest and greatest, it’s about being more informed, production costs and quality, and value.

This isn’t a phone in which many can afford to be impulsive. It’s a $50k+ car.

It’s two weeks away. Two weeks. Unless you’re the FOMO type, waiting is free, and prudent if you do not need a car.

It’s fallacious logic to say if they wait two weeks for battery day, they’ll end up waiting for perpetuity. Waiting is more nuanced than simply wanting the latest and greatest, it’s about being more informed, production costs and quality, and value.

This isn’t a phone in which many can afford to be impulsive. It’s a $50k+ car.

The primary market for these cars are at the upper band of income levels, not the average family. The tech crowd CAN afford to be impulsive when signing bonuses can start at $50k not to mention RSU grants. If people can't afford to be impulsive on buying a Tesla then they can't effectively deal with the completely ambiguous nature of when they will even get the car delivered, meaning you can't plan a car trade-in well at all. Tesla simply isn't like all other cars on the market. An analogy to a phone that seems equivalent is the 2nd generation Galaxy Fold phone. It is $2k and is absolutely not for the average consumer. Tons of forums go on and on about "well, Samsung is going to give details about their future phone tech in X weeks/months so I'm gonna wait" while most of the comments are from high-earning tech enthusiasts who did in fact impulsively buy the phone.

If you want to get a real picture of the typical Tesla owner and their relative income, just watch pretty much any YouTube video of people who regularly post videos on Tesla. That's pretty much ALL they do and they are so detached from any reality where purchasing a Tesla is outside the realm of an impulse buy.

• Funny
Reactions: glide and BlindPass
The primary market for these cars are at the upper band of income levels, not the average family. The tech crowd CAN afford to be impulsive when signing bonuses can start at $50k not to mention RSU grants. If people can't afford to be impulsive on buying a Tesla then they can't effectively deal with the completely ambiguous nature of when they will even get the car delivered, meaning you can't plan a car trade-in well at all. Tesla simply isn't like all other cars on the market. An analogy to a phone that seems equivalent is the 2nd generation Galaxy Fold phone. It is $2k and is absolutely not for the average consumer. Tons of forums go on and on about "well, Samsung is going to give details about their future phone tech in X weeks/months so I'm gonna wait" while most of the comments are from high-earning tech enthusiasts who did in fact impulsively buy the phone.

If you want to get a real picture of the typical Tesla owner and their relative income, just watch pretty much any YouTube video of people who regularly post videos on Tesla. That's pretty much ALL they do and they are so detached from any reality where purchasing a Tesla is outside the realm of an impulse buy.
Sorry, are you being serious with this post?

Sorry, are you being serious with this post?

What exactly are you thinking I'm not being serious about? Do you think the majority of Tesla owners don't work in tech? Do you think that people working in tech (Google, Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Oracle, etc) don't get large signing bonuses or RSU grants? Do you think that the average person purchasing a car based on a trade-in can simply be called a week in advance, likely well past the date & mileage for any prior trade-in value to be honored, to go out and sell their car in time to transfer the funds around to make the downpayment to take delivery? (Tesla's trade-in values are quite below the average trade-in values available from the average local car dealership) Do you think people who work for these major tech companies don't purchase a Tesla impulsively? (Out of 10 people in my social circle, both friends and coworkers, only 2 of them made major planning to get their Tesla. 8 of them agreed it was more of an impulse thing than a strong need or well thought-out purchase)

Perhaps. you are taking 'impulsive' to be defined like seeing a Starbucks down the street and thinking "I'll just get a latte" even though they hadn't planned on it.. That's not exactly the type of impulsive action I'm referring to and I'm not sure why anyone would assume that's the level of impulsivity I'm getting at. I'm saying impulsive in that it had far less thought put into it than the average buyer of an automobile and that the planning around it was very minimal.

Is it worth waiting for the battery day before I place my model Y order? It is just two weeks out (09/22). After seeing yesterday's change in delivery time from 2-4 weeks to 7-11 weeks, I regret not placing my order earlier.

What does community think? Thanks!

If you want to wait, wait. If you don’t care what is announced on battery day then go ahead and buy. This is my second Tesla, and I am perfectly happy with the current specs and capabilities of the MY. If something major and immediate gets announced on battery day, that’s great. It won’t change my feelings on my purchase.

Hopefully the people holding out for battery day aren’t expecting something crazy like 400+ EPA range. That just isn’t going to happen. I think the most realistic thing will be something that impacts how many miles can be put on the battery. I’ve personally never put 100k miles on a car I’ve owned let alone 500k, so a million mile battery has zero impact on me personally.

In fact, I am spending my $50K signing bonus on this car but still need to be planful. Impulse made me consider MY. However the impulse has subsided and now I am planning my purchase with all possible considerations.

My only concern/regret is wait time jumping from 2-4 weeks to 10-14 weeks. Otherwise I am fine with waiting 2 weeks more.

• Funny
Reactions: Scott7
What exactly are you thinking I'm not being serious about? Do you think the majority of Tesla owners don't work in tech? Do you think that people working in tech (Google, Facebook, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Oracle, etc) don't get large signing bonuses or RSU grants? Do you think that the average person purchasing a car based on a trade-in can simply be called a week in advance, likely well past the date & mileage for any prior trade-in value to be honored, to go out and sell their car in time to transfer the funds around to make the downpayment to take delivery? (Tesla's trade-in values are quite below the average trade-in values available from the average local car dealership) Do you think people who work for these major tech companies don't purchase a Tesla impulsively? (Out of 10 people in my social circle, both friends and coworkers, only 2 of them made major planning to get their Tesla. 8 of them agreed it was more of an impulse thing than a strong need or well thought-out purchase)

Perhaps. you are taking 'impulsive' to be defined like seeing a Starbucks down the street and thinking "I'll just get a latte" even though they hadn't planned on it.. That's not exactly the type of impulsive action I'm referring to and I'm not sure why anyone would assume that's the level of impulsivity I'm getting at. I'm saying impulsive in that it had far less thought put into it than the average buyer of an automobile and that the planning around it was very minimal.

I disagree that most Tesla owners work in Tech. If you work in tech then most of your inner circle probably work in tech. I live outside of DC so not too many Tech people. However, there are tons of lawyers, doctors, govt contractors, who make plenty of money as well that own teslas. As far as the trade in, it is actually quite easy to turn around a trade in. I can go into Carmax tomorrow and walk out with a check. I think whether you impulse buy or not probably depends on your personality more than how much money you make. I know plenty of wealthy people that still stick to certain budgets. I also know plenty of nonwealthy people that will impulse spend with most of their savings.

It’s irrelevant whether you wait or not, at this point, since delivery estimate is 10-14 weeks.

No one can be sure, but I’m expecting nothing out of battery day with respect to the Y production until at least GigaBerlin and GigaTexas are ready.