Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Day Announcements - Ludicrous Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The plaid tri-motor setup is currently only planned for the model S, X, and roadster. I don't think those models getting plaid has anything to do with ludicrous mode on a 3. I also don't think Tesla would want to add ludicrous mode to the model 3 as it would cannibalize model S sales. There has to be some special features that differentiate the "luxury" car versus the affordable one.

Reactions: Sam1
The plaid tri-motor setup is currently only planned for the model S, X, and roadster. I don't think those models getting plaid has anything to do with ludicrous mode on a 3. I also don't think Tesla would want to add ludicrous mode to the model 3 as it would cannibalize model S sales. There has to be some special features that differentiate the "luxury" car versus the affordable one.

unfortunately true. at least for now. Hopefully they make the S/X much, much faster, so that would widen the gap enough that would allow us to get more options on the 3.

unfortunately true. at least for now. Hopefully they make the S/X much, much faster, so that would widen the gap enough that would allow us to get more options on the 3.
Then that would eat into roadster sales! I don't think the plaid S/X is going to influence the speed of the model 3 as the goal is for that to be the entry level car. If they want to increase speed they might have to add hardware which will make the price go up, which is not what they want.

Yup, you can't have the pony outrun the horse.

I also remember reading a few posts from one of the forum's resident smart guys that we are already really close to maximum power draw from the battery pack currently used in the Model 3. Along those lines, I wouldn't expect to see any really significant added performance options for the 3 until we get an improved battery pack, capable of handling larger current draws.

There is still some battery room for more power at higher speeds, say flooring it from 60+mph, so it's possible we might see an upgrade for better "from a roll" performance, but there's just not much room left for off the line power draw.

We heard all this talk with code for model3 back in January, I haven't seen a thing since then. I actually want an S too just waiting on better bigger batteries.

Yup, you can't have the pony outrun the horse.

I also remember reading a few posts from one of the forum's resident smart guys that we are already really close to maximum power draw from the battery pack currently used in the Model 3. Along those lines, I wouldn't expect to see any really significant added performance options for the 3 until we get an improved battery pack, capable of handling larger current draws.

There is still some battery room for more power at higher speeds, say flooring it from 60+mph, so it's possible we might see an upgrade for better "from a roll" performance, but there's just not much room left for off the line power draw.

Thats a great comment thats the way I see it too. Hardware now no. Future 3P with better batteries possible.

The 3 already has cannibalized the S.
Is it worth Fremont having Plaid and non-Plaid S/X production lines on such low volume models? Perhaps we do continue to see the LR AWD, plus a Plaid, and a Plaid PUP that’s only different in code.

If the S is Plaid, at presumably a higher performance and cost than current S, then there would be room have a trim for the 3 with increased performance and cost imo. And it would make more sense from a revenue/battery allocation standpoint than having only increased performance S imo. This would potentially allow them to offer another “boost” to the captive consumers that are LR AWD owners, plus entice existing M3 owners to become new buyers, whereas a Plaid S is a nice halo car, but lacks the volume and maybe volume to drive revenue.

Probably not.

https://twitter.com/YingShirleyMen1/status/1297216103890862080

That's a professor at UCSD in the nanoengineering and materials science department- she's the chair in energy technologies, founding director of sustainable power and energy center, and the author or co-author of over 200 peer reviewed articles. She's on the executive committee for the battery division of the electrochemical society.

She's also a research partner with Maxwell.

She knows a bit about batteries... (and owns at least one Tesla)

And seems...exceedingly dubious...the tech works in mass production or for a price remotely affordable in a mass production car.

MAYBE they've got it cheap enough they could afford to put in a $250,000 roadster, or maybe even a $150,000 Plaid S...probably not so much in a much cheaper 3 of any sort.

BTW she's since further clarified her doubts-
https://twitter.com/YingShirleyMen1/status/1297996418662031360

Last edited:

I don't see a good reason why a Plaid 3 shouldn't exist. There would certainly be demand for this segment, just like how BMW has demand for the more compact 2 series M cars. The S is not a high volume seller, so even if margins are higher, it doesn't matter if the volume isn't there compared to the 3. And the 3 sells by many orders of magnitude higher than the S, so why not provide a Plaid version that will ensure it can still sell at volume and have even more profit for Tesla? The idea of only the S being deserving Plaid treatment has always been a logical fallacy to me. It's a bigger car and not exactly the best for handling... there is no reason it should be the only one allowed to be super quick, just because it is the most luxurious Tesla offers.

I don't see a good reason why a Plaid 3 shouldn't exist. There would certainly be demand for this segment, just like how BMW has demand for the more compact 2 series M cars. The S is not a high volume seller, so even if margins are higher, it doesn't matter if the volume isn't there compared to the 3. And the 3 sells by many orders of magnitude higher than the S, so why not provide a Plaid version that will ensure it can still sell at volume and have even more profit for Tesla? The idea of only the S being deserving Plaid treatment has always been a logical fallacy to me. It's a bigger car and not exactly the best for handling... there is no reason it should be the only one allowed to be super quick, just because it is the most luxurious Tesla offers.
Deserving has little to do with it. Production costs and battery/production constraints are at play. Adding a third motor and better batteries is going to cost more.

I’m more interested in whether they can put the current S tech in the 3 if they have improved batteries.