Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Day Announcements - Ludicrous Model 3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Deserving has little to do with it. Production costs and battery/production constraints are at play. Adding a third motor and better batteries is going to cost more.

I’m more interested in whether they can put the current S tech in the 3 if they have improved batteries.

I would see them doing it with the improved (next gen) batteries for sure. That'd be ideal anyway because the car would weigh less and they may not even need the motors to be as big to be fun and powerful, due to the lower weight. The added cost doesn't matter - they can sell a Plaid 3 for 80k and probably have plenty of buyers and good margin - more buyers than the Plaid S even.

I would see them doing it with the improved (next gen) batteries for sure. That'd be ideal anyway because the car would weigh less and they may not even need the motors to be as big to be fun and powerful, due to the lower weight. The added cost doesn't matter - they can sell a Plaid 3 for 80k and probably have plenty of buyers and good margin - more buyers than the Plaid S even.
Sign me up.
A M3 that retains its handling with the S motors, hatchback, and an instrument cluster is my Tesla unicorn.

How much faster do you want? 3 sec 0-60, 1/4 in the 11s.... I would imagine the Roadster is pushing the theoretical limits of car acceleration.
The Roadster CLAIMS that it will hit 0-60 in 1.9 seconds with an 8.8 quarter mile

There's cars way quicker than the roadster, for certain values of car :)
Not production cars. The Porsche 918 Spyder seems to be the quickest at 2.1 seconds 0-60, 9.8 second quarter

i was pretty curious about that statement. Here's what i found:
10 Vehicles That Go From 0 - 60 In Under 2 Seconds
The only production car on that list is the Roadster - all others are modified.

The Roadster CLAIMS that it will hit 0-60 in 1.9 seconds with an 8.8 quarter mile

Not production cars. The Porsche 918 Spyder seems to be the quickest at 2.1 seconds 0-60, 9.8 second quarter

The only production car on that list is the Roadster - all others are modified.

Well I did say "for certain values of car"

But there's no official/universal definition of "production" car either- every racing series and even has their own and can often include very highly modified versions of mass produced cars, which would certainly include some cars on that list quicker than a roadster.

And several of the quicker-than-1.9 cars do note they remain street legal if you wanted to use that as a criteria to kick out stuff like top-fuel drag cars that do it in less than 1 second....

Sign me up!

I don't agree at all that making the M3 even quicker would cannibalize MS sales. That's like saying the BMW M3 cannibalizes sales of the higher end 5 series. It's more a matter of size and "feel" than anything. I don't want a bigger car - I don't really care about the cost difference.

Before I got my M3 I was considering the S, but once I really got up close and drove it, it feels (and looks) too boaty for my liking. That's one of the reasons I got rid of my S7...it was an absolute beast and the fastest car I've ever owned, but I grew tired of the big boaty feel and look.

Plenty of people just love their big grandaddy "boats", like the Jag XJ LWB, 7 series BMWs, or Audi A8...and they would never go smaller (same make of car) just because of a performance increase. I know first-hand, I have plenty of friends and relatives in this category.

A great example - I have a friend with an Audi A8L, and because I'm a performance junkie I always mess with him that he could have a tuned S6/S7 for pretty much the same price which would run circles around the A8...but his response: "nope, I love my big cars".

Before I got my M3 I was considering the S, but once I really got up close and drove it, it feels (and looks) too boaty for my liking. That's one of the reasons I got rid of my S7...it was an absolute beast and the fastest car I've ever owned, but I grew tired of the big boaty feel .
Would you have otherwise not bought a Tesla if the M3 was not offered? If you would have otherwise bought the S, it’s an example of the M3 cannibalizing the MS. Why give Tesla more money for the S when you can get better aspects on the cheaper 3, without sacrificing too much elsewhere?

Model S sales in 2019 were the lowest since 2014. Some of that could be due to a lot of those looking to spend 100k on an EV sedan have been able to for 7 years, but some of it is due to those that wanted a Tesla could now get a “similar” option for much less in the M3. Cannibalism.

If the M3 were to get an update that made it essentially as quick as the MS, but still much cheaper, what do you think would happen to MS sales? Although there is some product differentiation (namely size and range), I think it would further suppress MS sales.

The S isn’t really that much more luxurious than the 3. Range and acceleration will need to be better enough to justify such a price delta imo.

Reactions: Sam1
  1. Don't CHANGE someone's post. No, you didn't change my original post, but you misrepresented what I posted. Bad form
  2. The Roadster is not hypothetical - it is well into development and several prototypes have been made. It is just not available to the public yet.

1. FIFY implies a revision of the original post. That's entirely the point
2. It's not in production. It hasn't been measured to its claim.

You say the other cars aren't production. They've at least been produced, and actually clocked. Meaning they're real.

I didn't say the roadster was in production: I was responding to your incorrect statement that it was hypothetical. It is a very real product that will be released.

"Will be" != "real". The moment it runs on the road at the time it claims, it is real.

Until then, it is as real as Nikola's trucks, or the Tesla that "will be able to find you in a parking lot, pick you up, take you all the way to your destination without an intervention... all the way from LA to New York. So basically from home in LA to Times Square in New York. And then have the car go and park itself"

"Will be" != "real". The moment it runs on the road at the time it claims, it is real.

Until then, it is as real as Nikola's trucks, or the Tesla that "will be able to find you in a parking lot, pick you up, take you all the way to your destination without an intervention... all the way from LA to New York. So basically from home in LA to Times Square in New York. And then have the car go and park itself"
You don’t think they’re putting the Lucid Air as superior to the Model S?

Nevertheless, the upcoming new Roadster is planned to be a car with elite performance as ordered, with anyone with the funds able to purchase.

I’m not interested in the taxonomy of production cars, but given there are not that many less prototypes of the new roadster than there are of the other cars, I’d say it’s not just hypothetical.

Until then, it is as real as Nikola's trucks...
You're funny

You seriously believe that the Roadster is at the same level of evolution as the Nikola truck? If I had $50,000 to put as a deposit on either vehicle, I would be infinitely more confident in my money with Tesla than Nikola.

Reactions: Siciliano
I don't agree at all that making the M3 even quicker would cannibalize MS sales. That's like saying the BMW M3 cannibalizes sales of the higher end 5 series. It's more a matter of size and "feel" than anything. I don't want a bigger car - I don't really care about the cost difference.

Before I got my M3 I was considering the S, but once I really got up close and drove it, it feels (and looks) too boaty for my liking. That's one of the reasons I got rid of my S7...it was an absolute beast and the fastest car I've ever owned, but I grew tired of the big boaty feel and look.

Plenty of people just love their big grandaddy "boats", like the Jag XJ LWB, 7 series BMWs, or Audi A8...and they would never go smaller (same make of car) just because of a performance increase. I know first-hand, I have plenty of friends and relatives in this category.

A great example - I have a friend with an Audi A8L, and because I'm a performance junkie I always mess with him that he could have a tuned S6/S7 for pretty much the same price which would run circles around the A8...but his response: "nope, I love my big cars".

Yup. I have several neighbors (with pickup trucks) who were interested in the Cybertruck until GM announced the EV Hummer. Now, not so much and have cancelled reservations for the Cybertruck.

What is fast enough? 0-lightspeed in 2 seconds works for me.

None of those 10 vehicles are available off the shelf today. If/when the Roadster is available and can actually meet it's Elon espoused number it will be the first. Unless of course the Government or insurance companies step in and say no.