Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery day: anyone on the fence about buying before Battery Day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t believe any of the announcements on battery day will be incorporated in new cars for quite a while. Why wait?
Why not wait?

If waiting is an option, which presumably it is if it’s a question, why wouldn’t you wait just over a month? It’s not only battery day, but nearing end of quarter.

In general, the longer you wait, the better value you’ll get.

Why not wait?

If waiting is an option, which presumably it is if it’s a question, why wouldn’t you wait just over a month? It’s not only battery day, but nearing end of quarter.

In general, the longer you wait, the better value you’ll get.
Do you think that the new battery tech will be installed in new cars within a month of battery day?

Do you think that the new battery tech will be installed in new cars within a month of battery day?
It doesn’t matter if it’s in the new cars, it’s whether the information gets priced into new and used cars. There’s also the value of the information to the buyer, such as whether a future offering will be more desirable than current options. For example, I’m not buying any new cars until they reveal specs on the Plaid S.

When considering buying from Tesla, thus far it’s always been best to wait as long as you can. Better value due to improved build quality, lower production costs, and more inventory. Also better technology if you wait long enough.

Reactions: hcdavis3

Panasonic mentioned that they're upgrading their GigaFactory line (ultimately for a ~20% density increase over the next few years) and reported that it will start production again late September which should yield ~5% better density cells so....

"Panasonic has developed new battery technology for the "2170" lithium-ion cells it produces and supplies to Tesla, a change that improves energy density by 5% and reduces costly cobalt content." The new, higher energy dense 2170 cells will be produced by Panasonic at Tesla's factory in Sparks, Nevada, the company said Thursday. Panasonic is upgrading its battery cell lines with production slated to begin in September. The company operates 13 lines at the factory with a capacity to produce 35 gigawatt hours of batteries each year. All 13 lines will eventually run the new technology, Panasonic Energy North America President Allan Swan said without providing a timeline of when the entire system would be upgraded."

• Informative
Reactions: mikevbf
I have a MY on order but am waiting until Q4 to take delivery mainly because of improving quality, 2021 model year, and Battery Day announcements. I will be surprised if Tesla announces major battery improvements that will be incorporated in the future. If they do, I think many buyers will sit on the fence until available. So, is it more likely the announcements are immediately available and future improvements are unannounced?

I wonder if Panasonic misspoke before or if they’ll just stockpile their improved batteries... or if Tesla will software lock the cars until some later point...

This, if I had to guess. Mid-cycle refresh even though the cars actually already have the newer battery cells from earlier. Makes for positive news, excitement, and to hold back the competition that may be coming in a couple of years.

Reactions: CO_MY
I have a MY on order but am waiting until Q4 to take delivery mainly because of improving quality, 2021 model year, and Battery Day announcements. I will be surprised if Tesla announces major battery improvements that will be incorporated in the future. If they do, I think many buyers will sit on the fence until available. So, is it more likely the announcements are immediately available and future improvements are unannounced?

@IBuyBundy possibly silly question: do we know when the 2021 model year cut over is? My understanding is that Tesla continually makes changes which is very different to traditional ICE manufacturers where you need to wait for a model year for changes. I guess you're more worried about resale later, listing a 2021 for sale vs. a 2020?

Battery day looks to be 9/22 where they’ll announce apparently big news about advances in their batteries. I have a MY order in, but I’m wondering if waiting a little longer might result in a significantly better battery—perhaps better range at a better price from a more energy dense battery.

Is this keeping any of you from buying at the moment? Anyone have an opinion on it?

I was and I was going to wait.

But it keep getting delayed. There was a price drop on the car, and who knows if it will stay. FSD was getting a price hike.

It's unlikely anything announced will be immediately available.

So I had the Koolaid and bought in early.

@IBuyBundy possibly silly question: do we know when the 2021 model year cut over is? My understanding is that Tesla continually makes changes which is very different to traditional ICE manufacturers where you need to wait for a model year for changes. I guess you're more worried about resale later, listing a 2021 for sale vs. a 2020?

There are model years but as you mentioned they don't align with changes. I was happy my prior Tesla was labeled as a 2020 as my friends was a 2019. But the cars are otherwise exactly the same and ordered just a few weeks apart. My newer one is also a 2020 but has several changes since the one a few months before.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
So you can put order and just delay actually taking delivery? Do you just tell the OA that or is there a thing online

So you can put order and just delay actually taking delivery? Do you just tell the OA that or is there a thing online

When they contact you to arrange delivery. Your car will go to the next person inline and I think you get pushed to the back of the line like if it was a new order. Pretty sure you can't just hold the same position indefinitely.

How do you postpone delivery if they have a VIN for you? I don't see any option on the website with the order to postpone.