Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery day: anyone on the fence about buying before Battery Day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you postpone delivery if they have a VIN for you? I don't see any option on the website with the order to postpone.

When they contact you to arrange delivery. Your car will go to the next person in line and I think you get pushed to the back of the line like if it was a new order. Pretty sure you can't just hold the same position indefinitely.

Look at my membership date, I bought a 2012 Volt thinking by 2014, 2015 at the latest I'd want/have a Tesla. I held off buying the "LATEST Tesla" and wound up buying two more Volts as I kept wanting the newest and latest advance. I didn't get my Tesla until July 28th, 2020.

As a long time Corvette owner, the vast majority of those folks are afflicted with the same disease - in the USAF we had a term for that, it was called PARALYSIS THROUGH ANALYSIS.

I hear 2022 is when you want to buy your Tesla, but 2023 will be even better.

Look at my membership date, I bought a 2012 Volt thinking by 2014, 2015 at the latest I'd want/have a Tesla. I held off buying the "LATEST Tesla" and wound up buying two more Volts as I kept wanting the newest and latest advance. I didn't get my Tesla until July 28th, 2020.

As a long time Corvette owner, the vast majority of those folks are afflicted with the same disease - in the USAF we had a term for that, it was called PARALYSIS THROUGH ANALYSIS.

LOL, I tell my son the musician the same thing. His band put out an EP, then took 3 years to get their full-length album out - which dropped right before COVID, killing their planned tour. Too much re-recording and mastering and overthinking.....

Are you happy you waited or do you feel like you 'missed out'?

LOL, I tell my son the musician the same thing. His band put out an EP, then took 3 years to get their full-length album out - which dropped right before COVID, killing their planned tour. Too much re-recording and mastering and overthinking.....

Are you happy you waited or do you feel like you 'missed out'?

Mixed emotions, but I bought a 2012 Volt as a "place holder" loved it so much we bought a 2013 Volt, then as I was paralyzed with Tesla updating their cars seemingly every day, we bought a fully loaded 2017. It listed for $41K but GM gave me $5K off MSRP and I got the full $7500 federal tax credit so I paid $28,500 for it. We still have it.
Nm2lfen.jpg

It's the best vehicle I have ever owned. The MY will be 4 weeks old next week and am still coming to grips with Tesla's poor communications which is clouding my opinion of the car. But after 48 months as my DD here are my stats on my 2017 Volt:
0VVdHx5.png

Even lowly Volts have apps to gather and display data.

So I'll be 68 in a few months and decided why wait for the next THING from Tesla and also I no longer need to keep up with the JONES's.

You did also get a much better value than had you bought a Tesla in 2012-2015. S

If the decision to wait is solely based on having the latest, yes, it can be a fools errand.

But if it’s based on getting a better value due to lowering production costs of a nascent technology, or waiting for specific requisites desired, waiting makes a lot of sense.

S and X went a long time with inferior batteries...and probably still do. I don’t expect any big update for the 3 or Y, although I’d LOVE to see a ludicrous 100kwh Model 3. Our Y is a placeholder until the truck gets here.

If they update the 3 I’m upgrading our AWD. If the plaid S is siiiiick than maybe I’d give it a test drive. Model S is too big and boring for me personally. Fun is more important than speed any day.

• Love
Reactions: raggedy
@IBuyBundy possibly silly question: do we know when the 2021 model year cut over is? My understanding is that Tesla continually makes changes which is very different to traditional ICE manufacturers where you need to wait for a model year for changes. I guess you're more worried about resale later, listing a 2021 for sale vs. a 2020?
Unlike ICE cars Tesla’s (Tesli?) are listed by year built. So a 2021 has to be made in 2021.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
@IBuyBundy possibly silly question: do we know when the 2021 model year cut over is? My understanding is that Tesla continually makes changes which is very different to traditional ICE manufacturers where you need to wait for a model year for changes. I guess you're more worried about resale later, listing a 2021 for sale vs. a 2020?

I think Tesla will start designating new deliveries as 2021 model year in November-ish. I do not expect any differences from the 2020 cars, but if I can wait 30+ days for a car with a 2021 designation, I am going to wait. Yes, I am considering resale value, but others have noted that 2020 vs. 2021 will not make a big difference. I am not convinced.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Yep!! You got it. So my 2016 late September freaking last of AP1 MX was a 2016. Then TWO weeks later you could have gotten a 2016 AP2 MX in the same year. Sorry still salty about that.

I'll compete with you for honor of worst timed MX. What is your vin? BTW I'm still salty about it too, and it's why I'm delaying my MY until at least after battery day.

I'll compete with you for honor of worst timed MX. What is your vin? BTW I'm still salty about it too, and it's why I'm delaying my MY until at least after battery day.
Mine was 14,4XX and I’m almost certain no one got screwed over on that Q3 push more than me. My sales rep was acting real weird at delivery. I should have known. Oh and I delayed delivery for financing reasons. My wife even told me to wait and get it around Xmas but nope I was the dummy that bought a $120K MX that was obsolete in 14......DAYS!!!!! Feel free to laugh I won’t be offended. Well it got me on Caffeine and Exotics tv show.

Reactions: mikevbf