Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Day expectations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the Semi pretty much needs the million mile battery, I expect them to say this new battery system will be launched next year. There will also be a timeline for increases in power density and decreased cost. If they can announce a million mile battery with increased power density, faster charging speed and lower cost the stock price today will be a bargain.

Why would you focus on something that is not yet in demand...
Companies that react to demand are way behind the curve and don't make money. Successful companies create the products we didn't know we needed.

Steve Jobs said:
“Some people say, 'Give the customers what they want.' But that's not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do."

Companies that react to demand are way behind the curve and don't make money. Successful companies create the products we didn't know we needed.

Thats correct, but it makes little sense for tesla to talk about what the OP of this thread is asking for. It would make zero sense to talk about "swapping new batteries into your existing car" until they at the very least dont need every battery they make for new cars.

It makes zero sense to "waste" resources on designing something to retrofit into an existing car, when you cant make them fast enough for new cars already.... but hey, people are free to want whatever they want to want (lol).

This thread was intended to give people a chance to guess what Tesla will bring to Battery day, not a place for people to trumpet their personal wish list. Sheesh

I think it comes down to battery production and price, and just for fun, a little tease about future chemistry.
For now I expect most of the meat of the presentation to be about production and that is certainly a HUGE piece to the Tesla path to world domination. So while it is not too sexy it is arguably, along with $/kWh, the most important part of battery day.

Give my < $100/kWh and a doubling of battery production. Anything more will cause the stock market to explode.

Reactions: Olle and SergeyUser
Why are you responding to my post, which was reacting to a point made by a different poster and not the OP? I'm not following what you are driving at.

I was commenting on your statement that I quoted, about companies needing to innovate, along with the OPs desire to swap batteries in existing cars, and manufacturing reasons why thats "good" for tesla.

Thats correct, but it makes little sense for tesla to talk about what the OP of this thread is asking for. It would make zero sense to talk about "swapping new batteries into your existing car" until they at the very least dont need every battery they make for new cars.

It makes zero sense to "waste" resources on designing something to retrofit into an existing car, when you cant make them fast enough for new cars already.... but hey, people are free to want whatever they want to want (lol).
Unless part of the battery day announcements is a development that unlocks a ton of production capacity. To be fair they're not just producing cells for cars even at this point, power walls and the Megapacks are consuming a lot of "spare" capacity

And you can do the same with a Tesla. Because that engine isn't the only thing that makes a zr1, a zr1.
And the Batteries aren't the only thing that makes a 2021+ Model 3 a 2021+ Model 3 I fail to see what the point is in relation to the argument I was responding to. The original ZR1 argument was against retrofitting current Model 3's with potential post Battery day batteries. "What happens when you buy a corvette stingray, but then you want the performance of a corvette ZR1 two years later?" well what happens is you upgrade the components in your old Corvette which you can 100% do. With Chevy's blessing, support and encouragement I might add

I think they're going to discuss a bit about how their acquisition of Maxwell will play out in battery manufacturing going forward, and maybe tease a bit as to how they're going to incorporate Maxwell's UHC capacitors, but not give out exact dates on when they'll be implemented to keep from hurting short term sales. Possibly also talk about improvements in efficiency of battery manufacturing, and how that's bringing the cost per kW/h down. Also a bit of an energy density increase.

I think they'll also have some news on changes to the Semi truck, particularly about using UHC capacitors to give an added boost to regen braking on long downhill sections of road.

I'm not expecting a solid state battery announcement, or other ground breaking announcement that increases the energy density to the point that electric airplanes become reasonable.

• Informative
Reactions: SergeyUser
I'm expecting a major advance in battery tech. I don't see how the Cybertruck works without it. The stock price seems to indicate a true breakthrough (could be FSD though...).
Battery upgrades will never make sense. Much cheaper and less wasteful to simply sell a vehicle that no longer meets your range requirements to someone else who doesn't need as much range.

I'm not talking about "battery swapping" (capability to replace whole battery pack in minutes) - something Tesla discontinued years ago. This is a dead end except for fleet of cars/trucks. They can replace battery modules with reasonable complexity and designed Model 3/Y packs to allow that (yes, not trivial like battery swap, but still well within standard maintenance procedure you can perform once in 10 years or so).

I was always amazed by the logic "why would Tesla do that? They can just make new cars." Of course they can. But that, from my personal prospective, makes the product I already own inferior to the one with upgrade options. So either Tesla do that or someone else will and Tesla will loose to this competitor. But I think Tesla is smarter than that and will choose to be a leader and provide some upgrade options, as it will make the product better. You can attempt to force people to buy new car when they just want to upgrade the battery and happy with the rest of the car, in that case you are not only going against the environment, but also against the market and what consumers want.

Regarding the "supply constrained" argument. Well, Tesla is ramping up capacity, so that means they will eventually be demand constrained, and I don't think we will have to want more than 5 years for that. Why would they want to wait for the last moment? You can promise something now (which you can practically implement), you can even be upfront and say "we need all the batteries for new cars for NOW", but we will eventually produce enough and allow existing owners to enjoy their cars for a very long time if they choose to. This will actually raise demand for Teslas NOW given that people will know they will be able to upgrade and retain their value even better.