Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Day...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very bad for Tesla.
Many people will wait for tomorrow vw id4 reveal .
Much cheaper car, $7500 Tax return ,3 years of free charging are some things to consider.
Plus Carplay , Alexa, loaners while car is in service...

Tesla has to release RWD ASAP if they want to more sales...

Nobody cares what will happen in 2024, by then other car manufacturers will make their progress too

A bit disappointing. Didn't turn me off Tesla, just that was hoping for a truly spectacular announcement. After all, the pre-event commentary by Elon Musk was rather intense.

I think it would have been a benefit to Tesla for them to have consulted with a professional team involved in the making of such presentations. This is a multi-billion dollar company and with a bit more sophistication in their "show" I think they would have enhanced their reputations as well as better demonstrated the superior technology of the company.

Rich

99% precent won't understand any of it. It was very ad-hoc CA software startup ish.......that said I think it put other EV startups on notice that you better have a detailed plan otherwise your narrative is really super bad vaporware. I'm super happy with my Y and just watching the next three years unfold happily -- assuming we all live past the next 3 years of global warming.

the announcements were significant and most people won't comprehend the magnitude. regarding batteries - The range increase in addition to facility efficiencies and cost savings are significant. The problem is - its not ready. The $25k car - good - but its not ready. Model S plaid - good - but not re designed - and - not ready. Additionally - someone needs to provide adult supervision on these guys. While it was cool and edgy years ago for Elon to say 'whatever' - in 'non scripted ways' - all eyes are on them now and a lot of people have a lot of money invested in them. The production and presentation was a circus act from A to Z. They worry me - im sure they worry others that invest in the company. I am an investor and I worry about their flakiness.

Having said all of that -- utterly phenomenal announcements and this company is WAY IN THE LEAD of the entire sector! Hopefully other investors share my thoughts - circus - but - wow! The other interesting thing is nobody mentions quality - not Elon - not the shareholders through Q/A. Major issue.... What about showing off product? They are comical. BTW - if you are a shareholder - you do not want to look at the after hour plunge. I was watching the ticker lines and in the beginning of the session they were up - and then when they were sending mixed messages the stock tumbled. Thats the other thing -- I mean - they should have framed these announcements with impactful statements regarding value and impact to investors. There was very little business impact articulated. I hope somewhere in Tesla someone wakes up and realize they need to operate as a large fortune 100 business they are and not a circus. Adult supervision is required. Id like to see a balance.

From a technical perspective; I think it was good how they went in depth on the battery chemistry and manufacturing efficiency.

From a basic 'wow factor' perspective... kind of a overhyped dud. A bigger battery cell can store more energy? Who knew?

Last edited:
Reactions: firerock
It was pretty much exactly what I expected: techie stuff I couldn't truly appreciate, but it sounds impressive.

I am very happy to see that Tesla is focused on a long-term, innovative approach. For too long now, I've felt that there was a whole lot of emphasis on overall-meaningless, customer-facing features like games of shaving off .1 seconds on 0-60 times. That was probably essential for selling cars and keeping the company afloat.

I loved how they said they had a lot of hard problems, and hard problems are fun to solve. That sounds like the old Tesla, before fart apps and quarterly numbers.

Reactions: aaron0k
The one thing that wasn't addressed was plans for increasing the supercharger infrastructure proportionately to the circulation of the new $25K car (I'm guessing a Honda Civic sized) that will have a mass consumer base. I'm ordering a MY tomorrow and I'm thinking in the future when taking a road trip there could very well be supercharger availability issues if their expansion doesn't keep up with volume of cars.

I thought the press and market gurus' over hyping and the panning were ridiculous, It was BATTERY DAY. and the battery news was "insane" just as Musk promised, with cost reductions and performance improvements with the new technology and production streamlining. The new larger batteries are already in test production and will go to mass production, not by snapping fingers, but building production facilities as fast as practical. The time lines promised were realistic. Just consider what has to happen to continue to ramp up production of all vehicles as promised. Until the new batteries are available in volume AND thereafter, Tesla will continue to buy batteries from all current suppliers and battery availability will still be a drag on the number of cars.

Shanghai cars will get iron cathode batteries with incremental improvements in range. Some of those batteries will come to US lower range Model 3s. Long range Model 3s and model Ys will get Nickel Manganese batteries with incremental increases in range. The new larger batteries will initially go to Cybertrucks and Semis (and maybe Plaids). It's a well thought out plan and the time promises are reasonable.

All that said, I wouldn't worry about buying a Model y now because you'd miss out on technology. They will get better over time and cost may come down a bit due to manufacturing methods, but I doubt there will be dramatic changes in the three year period that Musk talked about.

I was impressed by both the technology and the realism shown on implementation while production of cars continues to ramp up.

Loved it. Was their best and most coherent presentation of the future of the company. For an investor such as myself they showed how they will make VALUE for their shareholders. Hit it out of the ballpark.

agreed. It’s funny to see people call this unorganized or a circus because this was actually one of their best presentations to date. I think it helps having someone other than Elon speak and help keep things on track and moving forward. Elon tends to go off on too many tangents and make predictions on the spot.

Really the Q&A was the circus, they should pre screen the questions or something, instead of letting the crazies ramble on and on during a live stream.

And it was battery day, not all things Tesla day. It was way overhyped as being everything to all people.

Reactions: Reeler and heems
Well technically, its not just bigger its also more bang for the buck. 5X bigger, yet it holds 6X more juice, hence the 16% increase in range
... and he laid out a roadmap to make the factory less expensive, use lower cost materials, more recyclable, more efficient gigafactory. These are huge "details" that will make the "$25,000 car" possible .... and profitable.