Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery defects

Was your battery replaced?

• within the first year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • within 2 years

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you had the battery replaced, probably under waranty. ( would be intresting to know what it costs)
A friend of mine bought a secondhands S and the battery was replaced within the first year of its production.
Some battery's seem to be dead instantly (the car was not over a year), i have seen similar stories before.
As i am looking for a car i do not want this to happen to me without waranty so i wander if there is a bad batch or something where they fail within a year or two.

Tesla has reduced their supercharging rate significantly "out of an abundance of caution" and to "increase the longevity of the pack" in response to several Model S cars catching fire last year.
Unless you have a disconnected salvage car or just not receive updates;)

Anyway i was talking more about instant dead battery's i think he was unable to drive it (he was far from home).
weird that one bad module can cause this assuming that was the case.

I can not find anything about replacing modules btw.

I have a 2013 Model S 60. EPA rated range new was 208 miles. I bought it in September of 2018 and it got 177 rated miles at 100%. It now gets 160 rated miles on a 100% charge. Tesla does not warranty degradation on 2013 vehicles and refuses to help. I know own a very expensive grocery getter.

I have a 2013 Model S 60. EPA rated range new was 208 miles. I bought it in September of 2018 and it got 177 rated miles at 100%. It now gets 160 rated miles on a 100% charge. Tesla does not warranty degradation on 2013 vehicles and refuses to help. I know own a very expensive grocery getter.
to be fair you bought the smallest battery Model S offered 5 years after it came out so technically you willingly bought the grocery getter Model S. How many miles do you have on your car?

• Disagree
Reactions: InternetDude
Anyone with a 85 kWh battery who says their battery is "fine" is probably not aware that Tesla has reduced their supercharging rate significantly "out of an abundance of caution" and to "increase the longevity of the pack" in response to several Model S cars catching fire last year. So, no, their batteries are not fine.

"Fine" is a vague word. If they are performing as expected, they ARE fine. As I have read of many other brands of cars catching fire, some even spontaneously, it seems gas cars are more prone to this behavior than electrics, whatever that's worth. The energy in a gallon of gas is equivalent to eight sticks of dynamite. Supercharging puts a lot of power, heat, energy, etc. into the battery in a very short period of time, although gas does that too, so that's a wash. But we've become familiar with gas and don't think about the dangers. My car is far safer than a gas car in a major collision, and far quicker in traffic, and far quieter. And since I won't have an engine crowding back into me, I'll probably survive even better. And their batteries are FINE.

Sorry. I've driven both, and gas cars lose, big time. Only those who cannot move into the modern world will praise them.

Here my chart. 245 down to 211. V9 killed mine. The dates are exact.

Attachments

• IMG_20200213_191213916.jpg
    IMG_20200213_191213916.jpg
    528.3 KB · Views: 86