Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery degradation - 2019.32.2.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello all

I charge my car religiously to 90% level which on the LR AWD means I typically get 279 miles. I’ve noticed that either with the 2019.32.2.2 update which coincided with the cold weather rolling in that my car is showing 90% as 274 and just today 270. If this is true that means 3% battery loss. I have a garage and the car is around 55f so could that be a reason why?

Anyone else exhibiting issues post 2019.32.2.2?

I also let the battery drain further than I typically do (down to 50%) and charged back to 90%

I have never had issues like this before and am trying to see why troubleshooting steps I should take

I’ve noticed even though I tell the car to charge to a certain limit in the app it seems to say complete before it actually is. See photo.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all

Attachments

• D9BF59B1-B259-491D-888D-89939CC3B82C.png
    D9BF59B1-B259-491D-888D-89939CC3B82C.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 98
I thought the new update was to have not just performance but range increase. I know the release notes only speak to the former but seeing on Tesla’s design studio they show more range I thought perhaps that would have translated to more range myself not what I would have seen as a 3% drop

Reactions: Judders
hello all

I charge my car religiously to 90% level which on the LR AWD means I typically get 279 miles. I’ve noticed that either with the 2019.32.2.2 update which coincided with the cold weather rolling in that my car is showing 90% as 274 and just today 270. If this is true that means 3% battery loss. I have a garage and the car is around 55f so could that be a reason why?

I also let the battery drain further than I typically do (down to 50%) and charged back to 90%

I have never had issues like this before and am trying to see why troubleshooting steps I should take

I’ve noticed even though I tell the car to charge to a certain limit in the app it seems to say complete before it actually is. See photo.

Thanks all

Based on your screenshot you let your car sit after completing the charge for some time(battery has drained back from charge line).Vampire drain still occurs when plugged in.

What time was the charge completed vs the time you checked?

Tesla does not disclose details of their battery management procedures. Their large experience in that department is an important strength.
Tesla batteries are subdivided into groups of cells. The charge will stop when the first group has reached its target voltage. The main charging stops and a balancing process starts. It may take several hours to complete balancing, depending on the amount of imbalance encountered and the balancing techniques used.

Ambient and pack temperatures as well as the charging method used will influence the exact point where charging stops. Charging e.g. slowly (say at 10 A single phase) may stop at a different point than charging more quickly (e.g. triphasic 16A, 11kW). As temperature of the battery is also affected by how the car was driven before charging, this as well can influence the exact point where the charge terminates.
Therefore:
- Follow the manual and keep the car plugged in. This will give it time to balance the battery.
- Do not charge without need to 100% or discharge to less than about 30%.
- Do not worry about small changes in indicated ranges. I would consider 5% changes in the mileage numbers seen to be small.

Also I just realized I had the wrong version of software as it was 2019.36.2.1 not 2.2

Do a long drive navigating to a Supercharger (50 miles or more at speed, being sure to warm up the battery thoroughly). Immediately do a Supercharge and make sure the Supercharge proceeds at maximum rate to have assurance your battery is thoroughly warmed up. If the battery is warm, at the end of the Supercharge, with a decent number of miles to allow accurate extrapolation, extrapolate the full charge miles.

Compare this value to the extrapolated full charge miles when cold. The difference is the approximate effect of temperature for your battery.

I saw a difference of about 5-6 miles in extrapolated 100%, when going from 35 degree cold-soaked temperature, to 80-90 degree temps, fully warmed, in a single day. (And I saw a similar drop in range overnight as the battery cooled down; it was charged to about 92%).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sherlo
hello all

Thanks all
What you described happened exactly to me too. Ive adjusted charging at home to only 80% vice 90% and I still see the same 2.27% "degradation." When I charge to 80% I SHOULD be getting 248 miles but I get 241 miles. This is with virtually no vampire drain because I use the new departure option while charging.

@SilverSp33d3r i did let the car sit from 7:30 when completed until 2:30 when I checked but this is the first time since owning the car that this has happened if I have left it plugged in for a bit after charging.

@Alfred should I charge at a slower pace than I currently am which is 48amps / 44mph?
Worth a test. Also then leave some time after the charge is expected to stop, without unplugging, before judging the outcome. To minimise the effect of temperature variations, do not expose the car during or after the charge to large temperature swings to avoid the effects described by AlanSubie4Life above.

UPDATE: So after reading through numerous threads on reports of charging to a certain percentage and not getting the correct amount of miles that correspond to that percentage, I have found a solution that worked for me. Disclaimer: this solution worked for me but may not work for others. I just want to share my experience.

When I first purchased my LR AWD I was charging to 90% every day regardless if I drove 20 miles that day or 10 miles that day. I would consistently see 279 miles (90% SOC). After downloading 2019.32.2.2 I noticed when I would charge to 90% I would only see 274 miles versus 279. I thought, well maybe I need to drive more (use the car more) to keep the battery "active." I continued to charge to 90% every day and would continuously see a minus 4-5 miles than I should. I received the v10 software and still experienced the same "missing miles". I decided to start charging to only 80% and see what would happen. The miles shown were still 4-5 under the correct mileage. I then started charging every other day to see if that would help; nothing. Then last night I decided to charge at 70% (based on some tips I read) and that was when the "magic" happened. I had programmed a scheduled departure the night before and when I woke up the next day I saw it was charged 70% and displayed 217 miles which is EXACTLY what I should be getting at 70% SOC. Im going to experiment further and report back. Hope this helps someone!

UPDATE: So after reading through numerous threads on reports of charging to a certain percentage and not getting the correct amount of miles that correspond to that percentage, I have found a solution that worked for me. Disclaimer: this solution worked for me but may not work for others. I just want to share my experience.

When I first purchased my LR AWD I was charging to 90% every day regardless if I drove 20 miles that day or 10 miles that day. I would consistently see 279 miles (90% SOC). After downloading 2019.32.2.2 I noticed when I would charge to 90% I would only see 274 miles versus 279. I thought, well maybe I need to drive more (use the car more) to keep the battery "active." I continued to charge to 90% every day and would continuously see a minus 4-5 miles than I should. I received the v10 software and still experienced the same "missing miles". I decided to start charging to only 80% and see what would happen. The miles shown were still 4-5 under the correct mileage. I then started charging every other day to see if that would help; nothing. Then last night I decided to charge at 70% (based on some tips I read) and that was when the "magic" happened. I had programmed a scheduled departure the night before and when I woke up the next day I saw it was charged 70% and displayed 217 miles which is EXACTLY what I should be getting at 70% SOC. Im going to experiment further and report back. Hope this helps someone!

This worked for me as well...OP should give it a try.

@rad1027 thank you. I will most definitely be trying this to see if this helps. Perhaps it breaks the routine of the car always being charged back to 90% which I have been doing as well. I also tried lowering the amps for charging and that didn’t do anything as still showing 4-5miles off so will try this and report back.

Thank you

Reactions: rad1027

I wish more people would report back their findings.

Reactions: rad1027
I'm willing to give this a try.. I've been going to 80, 85, and 90 for a while. When I get it to 70% tonight, what miles should I see if it works for me? Are we basing this off 310 miles or the new 322 number? Didn't they increase the LR to 322?

For the sake of my question, 310 * 0.70 = 217 miles. Right now at 90% I only see ~260 (where I should be seeing ~279). I'm chomping at the bit to try some things for this and get something figured out for us. For some reason it really bugs me that it's off like that. lol

So, tonight, I'm going to set it to 70% and see what it ends up with. People have said that it doesn't matter how fast you charge, so I'll be doing it at 40A once my wife gets back to the house.

Hm, I'm wondering if I should go charges in various stages to see what I end up with and record the miles along the way. But here is the thing - I wonder if there if anything special I'd be doing by not using the "Scheduled Departure" feature and just charging to some percentage number. I wonder if that's a mistake and I'd be missing out on some magic inside the "Scheduled Departure" feature.

So, tonight, I'm going to set it to 70% and see what it ends up with. People have said that it doesn't matter how fast you charge, so I'll be doing it at 40A once my wife gets back to the house.

Hm, I'm wondering if I should go charges in various stages to see what I end up with and record the miles along the way. But here is the thing - I wonder if there if anything special I'd be doing by not using the "Scheduled Departure" feature and just charging to some percentage number. I wonder if that's a mistake and I'd be missing out on some magic inside the "Scheduled Departure" feature.
I'd record the mileage along the way. When I charge on 110V, I didn't see much in the way of range/percent drop (voltage settling I'm guessing), but on 220V I often see the SOC in the morning is a few percentage points lower than the set point in the UI. That could just be voltage as a function of pack temperature too though.

Maybe between 3-4 of us playing around with this, maybe we can come up with something. I'm thinking it would be cool to know if this works only scheduled departures or if you can on-demand charge to those rates and have it work out the same. Now I'm curious about taking our car from whatever low % its at and taking readings at the next 10% level above that on up to 90% to see what the miles are at every step of the day. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to do one step on each day, ratcheting it up by 10% each day (or something along those lines).

If anyone gets any more data on this, please post it so we can all learn together! :)

I'd record the mileage along the way. When I charge on 110V, I didn't see much in the way of range/percent drop (voltage settling I'm guessing), but on 220V I often see the SOC in the morning is a few percentage points lower than the set point in the UI. That could just be voltage as a function of pack temperature too though.

Hm, I'm going to back to some charges I did in the past with TeslaFi and see what the miles read at various states to see if I can see where it's off (or not). Will post back in a bit.

Here’s a recap from one of my posts in another thread. AWD with 9K, was charging a couple times a week to SOC 80% (rarely varied unless for road trip). Noticed a decline over summer from 310 down to 298. Switched to charging to 60% and after a couple times was back to 308 and as of last night it displays 310 rated range (using Stats).