Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery degradation after 5k kms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

not sure this is what to expect but I am kind of worried.

now with 5300kms the car at 90% charge goes to 427 km of autonomy.

considering the initial 530km range at 100% this means I lost 10% in 4 months and 5300 kms.

never charged the car in super chargers or even fast chargers... only home charging with a real charger where I get around 27km per hour (charge rate).

is this to be expected ?

What does that mean ?

How does one recalibrate ?

Its w
Hello all,

not sure this is what to expect but I am kind of worried.

now with 5300kms the car at 90% charge goes to 427 km of autonomy.

considering the initial 530km range at 100% this means I lost 10% in 4 months and 5300 kms.

never charged the car in super chargers or even fast chargers... only home charging with a real charger where I get around 27km per hour (charge rate).

is this to be expected ?

Welcome to TMC, OP. You might want to start by looking at the stickied threads at the top of this section. Specifically, start with Teslas official statements on range:

Tesla Official Statement on Range

Also, its winter, you use more power per mile during winter.

The best thing you can do to not see that range number decrease is simply to plug in every single day and set it at 90% charge. setting the charge level less is "better" for the battery but no one says how much better and that is over a long period of time. the car has a hard time figuring out range if you charge less than 90% so if the number bothers you set it to 90% and stop worrying about it until spring.

Thanks for the link and added comments. What you say seems to be my case as I tend to limit charging at 80% and sometime I can go 2 or 3 days without charging so the car can go for 3 days going around from 80% to 40 or 50% battery until I charge it again to 80%

Thanks for the link and added comments. What you say seems to be my case as I tend to limit charging at 80% and sometime I can go 2 or 3 days without charging so the car can go for 3 days going around from 80% to 40 or 50% battery until I charge it again to 80%

There's a long discussion on:

Battery Management System - What I Learned At Tesla Service Center

My summary is:

1) Plug in your car as advised by the Owner's manual

2) Charge your car to 90% at least every day. You can set it lower but that would make the range calculation inaccurate quicker and make owners think that they have lost range (no they don't).

3) Shallow discharge is better than deep discharge: That's consistent with rule #1. If you start with 90% and drive 10% a day, don't wait 8 days for it to come down from 90% to 10% then plug it in after 8 days! Plug it in at least every day so the discharge depth would be shallower from 90% to 80%.

4) Don't worry the loss of range. It's an expected inaccurate range calculation. Just keep doing the above 3, the Battery Management System will eventually recover your "lost" range with an updated more accurate range calculation someday.

Last edited:
What about long stops like a week parked to a month ?

I read somewhere that one should plug the car and set the battery to 50%.

is it accurate or should one leave the car plugged at 90% also (as the daily recommendation)