Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery degradation after 8,700 miles...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New here, just got delivery of my first Tesla, a used Model X 2016 90D with 8,700 miles.

Charged for the first time maxed out at 237 miles.

Left it overnight unplugged, and woke to 229 miles.

Car was delivered new early 2017, so ~4.5 years old.

Looking at some other threads of battery degradation, I suspect it's the age of the car that's resulted in this ~8% drop and/or a calibration issue.

Does that seem reasonable?

Battery degradation is when you charge it to full again and you get less than the 237 miles that you're currently getting

Thanks, understood.

Is 237 (down from 257 new) reasonable after 8,700 miles and 4.5 years?

I've seen 6-8% degradation quoted, but that's typically in the 20-40k mile range from what I can tell.

I suspect the variable here that might matter is time. 8,700 mileage is obviously low for a 4 and a half year old car. I haven't been able to find anyone with such low mileage after this long... presumably most people drive more than 2,000 miles a year!

Not sure what to expect.

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
Degradation in the early years of ownership seems to be more about time than mileage. My 125,000 mile Model 3 is seeing the same degradation as the rest of the fleet of the same age. We'll see how that trend continues as age and mileage continue to increase. 90 kWh packs in S and X seem to have a little more initial time degradation than other packs, but that appears to be leveling off.