Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery degradation after only one month?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure that the balancing of the Model S pack is done differently from the roadster days. In my experience, charging on 120v, also has minimal impact on standard range displayed. I have done a lot of 120V charging with only 1 mile difference, and for all we know, that may be caused by a different factor.

If I happen to catch my P85 right at the end of the charge it is 240-242. If I just go out to the car normally in the morning it is usually 235-238. Just seems like vampire loss before reaching the threshold to get topped up.

That is consistent with my experience (239 to 241, most commonly 240 miles) and I seem to lose about 1/2 to 1 mile per hour of sitting depending on the temperature. I have just upgraded to 4.3 and so haven't had time to look at that closely yet.

I get to 188 rated miles at 93% SOC. Screenshots and the raw data behind them are below.

8624778381_465c58f16f_n.jpg
8624776639_ed21eb5664_n.jpg

182mi Picture

{ charging_state: 'Charging',
charge_to_max_range: false,
max_range_charge_counter: 0,
fast_charger_present: false,
battery_range: 181.97,
est_battery_range: 148.91,
ideal_battery_range: 209.43,
battery_level: 90,
battery_current: 25.5,
charge_starting_range: null,
charge_starting_soc: null,
charger_voltage: 245,
charger_pilot_current: 40,
charger_actual_current: 39,
charger_power: 10,
time_to_full_charge: 0.2,
charge_rate: 28.7,
charge_port_door_open: true,
scheduled_charging_start_time: 1365343200,
scheduled_charging_pending: false,
user_charge_enable_request: null,
charge_enable_request: true }

188mi Picture

{ charging_state: 'Complete',
charge_to_max_range: false,
max_range_charge_counter: 0,
fast_charger_present: false,
battery_range: 187.87,
est_battery_range: 153.7,
ideal_battery_range: 216.23,
battery_level: 93,
battery_current: -0.1,
charge_starting_range: null,
charge_starting_soc: null,
charger_voltage: 0,
charger_pilot_current: 40,
charger_actual_current: 0,
charger_power: 0,
time_to_full_charge: 0,
charge_rate: -1,
charge_port_door_open: true,
scheduled_charging_start_time: 1365343200,
scheduled_charging_pending: false,
user_charge_enable_request: null,
charge_enable_request: false }

Last edited:
hans, this is awesome data... how do you get that?

I wrote my own utilities based on the collective work documented in this thread:

Model S REST API

You can snoop in on all the data that the iPhone and Android apps use, and then find a few additional pieces of data not shown in the mobile apps.

I put everything I wrote into the public domain for anyone else to use or improve.

http://github.com/hjespers/teslams

On my 85 (non-perf), I haven't noticed any at all after nearly 5,000 miles and 3.5 months of driving. My standard charge is always done at 240-242 rated miles. (Haven't done a range charge at all yet).
That has been my experience for the past several months as well. Until this morning when I checked and it was showing 247 rated miles. Never been over 242 before.

I have the S60 and I normally do the charge at off peak after 9pm and got 186 or 187 miles on standard range. I received the v4.3 with the timer, of course so I set my start time to 10pm and yesterday morning I have 184 miles when my charging cable is still on. The weather that morning was around 50 deg. I then charged again with 190 miles when I left home. What I don't understand is: 1. Does v4.3 cause the difference, 186mi vs 184m ? 2. Does the battery degrade even though my charging cable is still on and at 50 deg. (I know the charge was complete before 2am and my car is idling for about 6 hours) ? 3. Why do I get 190mi when charged again? I will confirm tomorrow morning if I can get back my 186mi for standard charge.

That has been my experience for the past several months as well. Until this morning when I checked and it was showing 247 rated miles. Never been over 242 before.
I got 243 yesterday. Previous best was 239. 240v 40A charge. This is without any updates or Tesla access( no 3G service where the car is). Maybe the battery needs a few charge cycles in order to display range properly? I have read that some owners are also experiencing this.

I've been on 4.3 since last Thursday. I have seen a maximum standard charge on my 60kWh to be anywhere from 188 to 193 since upgrading to 4.3. Before on 4.2, the maximum I ever saw was 187. Yesterday morning, I charged to 188 in the morning (cooler, probably around 50 F), and then in the wild after a full day of driving, I charged it again full on a 70A charging station to 191 when the temp was around 60-65 F.

One thing I wish they would fix is the rated miles for 60kWh version when doing a range charge. I know this isn't a big priority, but would be nice to get that minor issue fixed instead of having it max out at 197 every time.

I haven't noticed a change in range (it's always been between 240-244 in standard mode and 265-272 in range mode at finish of charge), but I have noticed a BIG change in Wh/mi consumed over the past week. I did my first trip ever at < 300 Wh/mi in my run to the St. Louis airport and back.

Qphan, any update on your charging? Are you seeing any higher numbers?

- - - Updated - - -

Don't know what the factor is - battery degradation of any kind, warmer weather, or version 4.4 - but, I'm consistently maxing out at 187 miles now compared to 190/189 a couple of weeks ago.

Odd, you'd think the warmer temps might push the number a little higher. I've still been bouncing above and below 190 the past two weeks. I am going to take another trip to Sacto this weekend and will do a full standard and then range charge on Sat night/Sunday morning and will be curious what I see with the weather warming over the weekend.

Nothing so far...had to make another call to Tesla service today and again they said they will get back to me. Pretty frustrated that they haven't gotten back to me or asked me to bring the car in yet. I also finally got the latest software updated, skipped 4.3 and got 4.4 installed a few days ago. No change in the charging though...today's charge was at 183 miles after completing the standard charge.

Qphan, any update on your charging? Are you seeing any higher numbers?

- - - Updated - - -

Odd, you'd think the warmer temps might push the number a little higher. I've still been bouncing above and below 190 the past two weeks. I am going to take another trip to Sacto this weekend and will do a full standard and then range charge on Sat night/Sunday morning and will be curious what I see with the weather warming over the weekend.

I'm getting 187 mi on my 60khw car with 6000 miles on odometer. 4.4 firmware.
However, yesterday I left my house with 187 and went 2.9 miles before the range dropped to 186!

anyone else seeing this behavior on 4.4 with their 60 kwh?! Strange...

I'm getting 187 mi on my 60khw car with 6000 miles on odometer. 4.4 firmware.
However, yesterday I left my house with 187 and went 2.9 miles before the range dropped to 186!

anyone else seeing this behavior on 4.4 with their 60 kwh?! Strange...

Pretty much what I see at 5,300 miles. Consistently at 187 in much warmer weather now (saw 80s today).

The quick drop in the first 2-3 miles is par for the course; I wouldn't read anything into that. I see astronomical Wh/mile numbers (anywhere from 550 to 700+!) as I get going in the morning before it gradually drops back to 320 Wh/mile or lower.