Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Degradation age vs mileage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a M3P that is almost 1 year old with only 4,000 miles and is showing 20 rated miles degraded at 100% charge (279 vs 299 new). I understand that up to 10% degradation is normal in the first year. However that is usually after one year and 20-30 thousand miles on the battery.

My question is does the mileage have a big effect on the first years battery degradation? Or is it solely the passing of time? Should one expect 10% degradation after one year whether they drive 1000 or 50,000 miles in that time?

...My question is does the mileage have a big effect on the first years battery degradation? Or is it solely the passing of time? Should one expect 10% degradation after one year whether they drive 1000 or 50,000 miles in that time?

Short answer: Enjoy your Tesla and don't worry about it because you've got a 70% capacity guaranty.

Age and usage do affect the wear and tear of your battery.

Thanks Tam. Too many here start new threads about this topic without searching.

I always feel like this is more:

1. I think my issue is different than the ones in the sticked threads, or that people have talked about before.. or
2. I dont have time to search for any old threads on what I want to know about. Its faster to just ask again.... or
3. I am not looking at that stickied thread, its too long! I am not reading through it. Better to just ask again...or
4. I am new to this forum and dont see what I want to know on the first page, its faster to just ask for it

Some combination of those above. Saying that, I do find it somewhat humorous that some come to a tesla forum, and start posting new questions about 'is my battery ok, does anyone have any opinions on this?" without bothering to look around even a little bit... like this 70 page thread entitled "range loss over time" when the OPs question is "is this range loss over time normal?".

MASTER THREAD: Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, How to Maintain Battery Health

I always feel like this is more:

1. I think my issue is different than the ones in the sticked threads, or that people have talked about before.. or
2. I dont have time to search for any old threads on what I want to know about. Its faster to just ask again.... or
3. I am not looking at that stickied thread, its too long! I am not reading through it. Better to just ask again...or
4. I am new to this forum and dont see what I want to know on the first page, its faster to just ask for it

Some combination of those above. Saying that, I do find it somewhat humorous that some come to a tesla forum, and start posting new questions about 'is my battery ok, does anyone have any opinions on this?" without bothering to look around even a little bit... like this 70 page thread entitled "range loss over time" when the OPs question is "is this range loss over time normal?".

MASTER THREAD: Range Loss Over Time, What Can Be Expected, How to Maintain Battery Health

I have read through many threads such as these and am aware that all batteries degrade over time, and that mine is normal and “within spec”. I am not worried about it, and was just genuinely curious if 2 identical teslas would be expected to degrade the same amount in say a year, if one was driven high mileage, and the other low.

I didn’t mean to add to an already oversaturated topic. That wasn’t my intention. I guess I just watched too much Mythbusters growing up lol.

Last edited:
I have read through many threads such as these and am aware that all batteries degrade over time, and that mine is normal and “within spec”. I am not worried about it, and was just genuinely curious if 2 identical teslas would be expected to degrade the same amount in say a year, if one was driven high mileage, and the other low.

I didn’t mean to add to an already oversaturated topic. That wasn’t my intention. I guess I just watched too much Mythbusters growing up lol.

If you read the other threads, you would have seem the countless people that would tell you to balance your BMS before freaking out about degradation.

Reactions: lUtriaNt

The problem with the question "will two identical teslas degrade the same amount in a year" is that the usage of said teslas is going to be different, even if driven similar miles.

Its kind of like asking if you and I buy the exact same paint brand to paint our homes on the outside, which one will fade more after a year. There are so many variables there, that even if the PAINT is the same, it obviously wont degrade the same on the outside of each one of our houses.

Add to that, each battery does NOT start with the exact same amount of energy storage capacity, even if they start with the same number of cells, and basically each car is its on "special snowflake" related to this. We do know that there is degradation, whether the car is driven or not.

My question is does the mileage have a big effect on the first years battery degradation? Or is it solely the passing of time?

There are a number of factors, just "time" is generally not one of them.

There is no exact data on how much each factors contribute - one person may have the same amount of miles but have done them all at a supercharger, etc, etc.