Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Degradation and Range Anxiety...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll guess that the person who forked over the money thinks more about battery degradation
She was the one who forked over the money. She just doesn’t wring her hands about it. If it gets her where she needs to go, she’s satisfied. If it stops doing that, then she’ll worry about it. As opposed to folks who obsess over the range estimate every time they charge the car, or worry that every supercharging session might be the one that burns another mile off their range.

I’ve known folks who would buy an article of clothing that they loved so much they would keep it squirreled away and never wear it. I’ve tried making the case that the value is in its use. The value of a new top or shoes is not in looking good hanging in the closet; it’s in looking good on you. Not using it denies its value. It’s like that with cars, too (unless it’s some cherry classic with collectible value). You buy the car to take you places, not to look good sitting in the garage. Just drive it.

Here is why you shouldn't worry about it.

I could have spent 13K miles (from 11K-24K) worrying about range loss only to end up right back where I started.

upload_2020-9-14_13-31-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-14_13-30-55.png
    upload_2020-9-14_13-30-55.png
    52.2 KB · Views: 75
Here is why you shouldn't worry about it.

I could have spent 13K miles (from 11K-24K) worrying about range loss only to end up right back where I started.

View attachment 588095

Well said. Mine has come back too!
People and their stress over this dumb topic are unreal. This is hands down the best thing I've ever owned. It feels like part of the family. We have so much fun with it. I seem to have lost a bit of range in my year of ownership but who cares? It has already started to climb back up. If it goes down again I don't care either.

Hello all

why am I only getting 205 miles for 90% and 225 for 100%, it a 4 month old m3 sr+ With 5000miles. I don’t drive it hard either life WH miles 218

Just wait until winter comes and you are even more confused. At this point you'll start to understand that so many things can affect the "miles" range calculation. Weather temps, if you use the heater or seat heaters, driving style, rain, headwinds, etc. Best to change the setting from miles to %.

Reactions: AZAV8R and Matsayz

Could be charging to a different % now or done a long enough trip that the BMS decided to change the guess-o-meter. Could be weather/drive-usage(driving less/more)/charging just before leaving... too many variables and the BEST part is you'll never know exactly why it changed.

As it's continually pointed out, to stress over this is like going down the rabbit-hole... but to each their own.

I attached my info for my June 2019 Model 3 SR+ (FSD). It also went "up" lately but no idea why, maybe the software changed the way it's calculated or we got some efficiency out of it lately, meh

Attachments

• FusionCharts.png
    FusionCharts.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    90.5 KB · Views: 43
What's good for the battery is not necessarily good for battery readouts. Just drive the car. Range is also affected by your wheel configuration. I have a P3D- on which I run 19 x 9.5" wheels with 265/35 PS4S tires in the summer. I've set my configuration to the OEM 20" Performance and strictly use %. If I drive carefully, I get to my destination within ~2% points of the original estimate.