Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery degradation and range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 long range Y with about 13,000 miles on it. Getting ready for a cross country trip, I charged it to 100% and was surprised to see that my range was only 277 miles. That’s a 15% decline after a little over a year of driving. Normal? Do I need to take it in?

I don’t think there needs to be an either or...you can just toggle back and forth between % and range as much as you like. The energy graphs are another good way to check both your estimated range and your driving habits...I also use the trip function to see if the actual distance traveled (the Tesla speedo is the most accurate one I’ve ever come across) matches battery consumption.
What you never lack with a Tesla is data

Upvote 0
My 2019 M3P stayed at 302-308 of an estimated 310 range for the first 20+k miles. Now at 40k miles, the reading is 281-286 miles. Close to a 10% range loss, or is it? The truth is I see no difference on my commute. I drive a 300-mile round trip once a week. Most of those 40K miles are the same interstate drive. It does take an extra 10 % coming home versus going to work. 1500 ft elevation gain going home but also fighting the prevailing winds. Truth is I arrive home or at work with approximately the same remaining "miles" as I always did. This matters because driving home, leaving with 100% charge, 80 mph, wind and cold, as low as -20 F, I get home with < 5% charge. What I'm saying is in my 40k mile observation I haven't seen any difference in actual range going from an estimated 308 to 280 miles. The new FSD-beta with interstate NOA driving does seem more energy efficient than prior NOA, although this observation has only been for 3 months.

Upvote 0
The range will vary with the battery temperature. If the battery has been kept in a tight charge / discharge range you can try to calibrate the Battery Management System:
  1. Drive the car down to between 5-9%
  2. Let it rest for 3-hours
  3. Charge to 100%
  4. Let it rest for 3-hours
  5. Drive the car down to below 95%
You may need to repeat this 2-3 times.
Is this a Tesla recommended strategy or is this something that you and other owners have discovered to be effective?

Upvote 0