TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Battery Degradation and Warranty Discussion

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ICEBreaker, Aug 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

The point is in my earlier post:
    Yes, they did not specify any limit of the degradation, and they could not without adding a limit on the warranted miles and adding usage disclaimers - like "not charge to 100% more often then X times" and/or a lot of other detailed specifications. But that does not say that they will not honor a clam for warranty battery fix if the car has less then say 70% rest capacity within the warranty period and with a normal usage pattern.

There is examples on this forum of Model S owners with more then 100k miles in less then 2 years if I remember correct. So I think you underestimate how far a car can be driven in 8 years. Anyway - that was not the point, the point was that it would always be exceptions from what we will call "normal usage" that Tesla has to consider when writing their legal warranty statements. And that is in my opinion the reason they have not specified any specific degree of degradations in it's warranty.

2. cronosx

cronosx Member

You are right, i've missed "just a 0", it's 2,6M miles, not 260k wich bring the max calculated to 325k miles/year, and of course 50k miles/years is well in this boundaries

3. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

If the cars of the future have full autonomy and can make money by acting as a taxi service then you could see the miles rack up quite easily. It's not as unrealistic as it might seem.

4. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

Stop talking about battery degradation in a Model 3 Savings thread.

• Like x 1
  5. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

And I was right: Now that they have removed the unlimited miles warranty they have also added a limit on the degradation within the warranty period:
    Tesla releases Model 3 warranty with new 70% battery capacity retention guarantee

6. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

x10