Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Degradation and Warranty Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But it didn't say it.. so what's the point?
The point is in my earlier post:
I do absolutely agree with you on your interpretation of the warranty here - except in some special use-cases. The warranty says "unlimited miles", but for a "million miles" within the warranty period they can still clam that this is "normal degradation". Or if the owner just charge the car to 100% - or often drive the car to it stops etc... If they had set a limit on the degradation they would still have to fix the battery if it got more then the limit in degradation.

Yes, they did not specify any limit of the degradation, and they could not without adding a limit on the warranted miles and adding usage disclaimers - like "not charge to 100% more often then X times" and/or a lot of other detailed specifications. But that does not say that they will not honor a clam for warranty battery fix if the car has less then say 70% rest capacity within the warranty period and with a normal usage pattern.

I was thinking.. how many miles can you *really* do in 8years?
There is examples on this forum of Model S owners with more then 100k miles in less then 2 years if I remember correct. So I think you underestimate how far a car can be driven in 8 years. Anyway - that was not the point, the point was that it would always be exceptions from what we will call "normal usage" that Tesla has to consider when writing their legal warranty statements. And that is in my opinion the reason they have not specified any specific degree of degradations in it's warranty.

You are right, i've missed "just a 0", it's 2,6M miles, not 260k wich bring the max calculated to 325k miles/year, and of course 50k miles/years is well in this boundaries
If the cars of the future have full autonomy and can make money by acting as a taxi service then you could see the miles rack up quite easily. It's not as unrealistic as it might seem.

I do absolutely agree with you on your interpretation of the warranty here - except in some special use-cases. The warranty says "unlimited miles", but for a "million miles" within the warranty period they can still clam that this is "normal degradation". Or if the owner just charge the car to 100% - or often drive the car to it stops etc... If they had set a limit on the degradation they would still have to fix the battery if it got more then the limit in degradation.
And I was right: Now that they have removed the unlimited miles warranty they have also added a limit on the degradation within the warranty period:
Tesla releases Model 3 warranty with new 70% battery capacity retention guarantee
Tesla releases Model 3 warranty with new 70% battery capacity retention guarantee
The difference was with Drive Unit and Battery warranty. Like Model S and Model X, the warranty on the Model 3 powertrain is 8 years, but unlike Model S and Model X, the Model 3 does have a limit on mileage:
  • 100,000 miles (160,000 km) for the ‘Standard Range Battery’ version
  • 120,000 miles (192,000 km) for the ‘Long Range Battery’ version
But with the release of the full warranty, we now learn that Tesla also added a guaranteed minimum 70% retention of battery capacity over the warranty period.

That’s new to Model 3 only.