Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Degradation - How concerned should I be?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not so much about whether it's at 90% or less than 90%. It's about if you are using a very small band of the charging capacity. When you don't give the system a chance to see a broad range of energy in and out to see the high and low extents of the capacity, it starts losing the ability to calculate that accurately. All Teslas have been that way.

Yes, it’s just this. And this is only a temporary problem until you stretch the battery a bit by using more of the total range ... and then again it’s only a “problem” if you let it bother you :D

The voltage curve on Li-ion batteries is supposedly very flat during the middle range of the SoC, so if you stay there a lot, the BMS has only tiny deltas in voltage to go on vs larger deltas at high or low SoC. It’s also temperature dependent. Voltage isn’t the only thing they are looking at, but if you handicap one factor it hampers the accuracy of the whole estimation ‘calculation’.

I’ve noticed that there is a drop in estimated range on my M3P+ during the first 12K miles (10 months) of mostly Supercharging and at Urban Superchargers.

It has currently stabilize around 295 miles per charge at 100%. I keep the SoC at 90% every night and once a month I’ll do a 10% to 100% charge.

354E0329-EF5A-4D48-A38A-A84AB60E6A7A.jpeg

I was concerned about a recent 10-12 mile drop in the rated range display on my MR Model 3 until I watched this video...

It makes a great case for leaving the display on battery percentage versus range. Essentially, if you can still charge to 100% you have virtually no degradation. .
The only thing this video makes a case for is spreading missinformation on the internet and how this affects others.
It is 100% not accurate and false...

Of course you will be able to charge to 100% , always, but the 100% is based on your kWh. Didn't they teach your percentage in school? It is not the same to have 100% of 74kWh and 100% of 72kWh. This is 2kWh degradation...

Of course you will have battery degradation even at 100%, you just need to calculate from available kWh and you do that by switching to miles/km and calculating it from the rated EPA or drive down to 10% from 100% at steady speeds like Björn Nyland does and check the consumed kWh.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
References “miles to Albuquerque” caught my attention. % or miles. ?? Hmmm. What I know for certain is that on my route St George UT to Albuquerque I don’t dare drive from the Page AZ SC to the Gallup NM SC using the most direct route, which is 255 miles through Kayenta AZ. Doesn't matter if you’re tracking miles or %, as there’s ABSOLUTELY NO CHARGING OPPORTUNITY of any kind between Page & Gallup via Kayenta. Zip, zero, zilch. Bupkis. AND, there’s an energy-sucking climb from Page to a 7500-ft elevation west of Window Rock. I’ve driven this route in an ICE vehicle ~30 times in the last 8 years (the Tesla era), and I’ve never once seen a Tesla of any kind enroute.

PLEASE, Tesla, build the promised SC at Kayenta! The one that’s been “coming soon” for the last 3 years! Having to go thru Flagstaff sucks! The Flagstaff SC is a pain to get to, it’s out of the way from & it’s only a 72 KW “urban”’charger anyway.

Now, if I had a new 370-mile “S” or “X” Raven, I could do it!

Apologies for hijacking the thread.

Miles to X is an interesting point. Tesla's consumption estimate is very accurate. If you go to Energy - consumption and see the prediction, you will see that tesla knows every little bump in the road and will factor in inclines into the consumption. We just did a slope of 6 miles and we gained 1% and travelled for free and Tesla almost predicted exactly.

But this is useful when you can drive at steady speeds and have zero traffic or conjestion. In Europe we drive a little faster than what Tesla is predicting so knowing your consumption, % and available kWh will help you optimize the route even better than ABRP.com does.

So if you want to navigate yourself blindly by Tesla and you have Sucs on the way, you probably don't need all this information, but if you want to reach your destination faster, you will want to know all of this.

Im planning on explaining some of it on my channel .