Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Degradation (or lack of it) over 1 year M3 AWD LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that year went quickly. I'm a bit surprised about my battery status. Each day I record battery range and percent and calculate max range. For the first few months it stayed around 310 miles, then dipped down to 295, but has since been creeping back up, currently around 305 miles. My charging regime is to keep the battery around 60%.
Anybody else see a similar trend?
Battery charge.png
Range v Time.png

• Informative
Reactions: Exy1 and davidmc
Here is mine for comparison: (SR+, charge to 90% mainly. once a week DC charge on average - rest on 7kw AC. Carried out a battery calibration once that did bugger all! - think i need to do it more than once in a row :/ )

On 2020.28.6

Mines the blue line (Aug 22nd is my 1 year anniversary)

Year Range.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Exy1
What level of charging do you generally go for?

I don't really have a set level. When I commuted it was slow charged at work (2KW) and that dropped over the week, so it reached 95% On Monday, 90 on Tuesday etc. Then at home id charge it to 80 for weekend stuff. Now that I don't commute as much, I set it to 60 when electricity is not free.... When octopus does plunge pricing it goes up to 90 for that one charge.

On the trip the limit was 100, but it only topped out twice i think. I had it once sitting on 100% at the supercharger with "15 min left" message and charging at 2KW... And of course you lose that first 5% pretty fast with zero regen and I recon there is all sort of reporting errors going on at full charge.

By the way that big drop happened right around the .28 software dropped.... Maybe some calculation changes.
battery report2.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Exy1
Here is mine for comparison: (SR+, charge to 90% mainly. once a week DC charge on average - rest on 7kw AC. Carried out a battery calibration once that did bugger all! - think i need to do it more than once in a row :/ )

On 2020.28.6

Mines the blue line (Aug 22nd is my 1 year anniversary)

View attachment 578128
Thanks for sharing @davidmc - and happy anniversary for the weekend :)

Reactions: davidmc
Our LR AWD experience much like ElectricJoules. Started at 309, went up to 310, dropped to a minimum of 292 and now back up to 300. Normally charge when SOC drops to about 40% and normally charge to 85% 'Recallibration' did seem to help. When range dropped to 292 I ran the battery down to about 10% and then recharged to 85%. From this time on range has increased. For what it is worth we have only done about 4k in 12 months so maybe not typical.

This is where leasing for 3 years just knocks all this shizzle out the way.

It’s actually pretty impressive to have such high retained SoC capability on so many battery cells linked together when they are being “force-fed” at varying degrees of KW charging. Impressive battery tech and impressive BMS software.

What’s mad is this should be the worst these cars ever are at managing capacity, DC charging and lifespan. In 10 years time we could be seeing 1k miles range on a charge and 250kg less weight. That actually feels achievable, it’s bonkers !

Reactions: Godsense