Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Degradation or something else [vampire drain - resolved-scheduled departure setting]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 8/2018 built Dual Motor Model 3 used to lose about 1 mile every couple of days but since a week or two ago is now losing 7-8 mils a day. I also noticed that I hear what I believe a cooling motor running most of the time. The Climate here has been in the mid 79's low 80's. The car is parked in a garage. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on or is it time to set up a Service Appointment? Appreciate any input and thank you in advance.

My 8/2018 built Dual Motor Model 3 used to lose about 1 mile every couple of days but since a week or two ago is now losing 7-8 mils a day. I also noticed that I hear what I believe a cooling motor running most of the time. The Climate here has been in the mid 79's low 80's. The car is parked in a garage. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on or is it time to set up a Service Appointment? Appreciate any input and thank you in advance.

You are welcome to Service Appointment but know this: Tesla doesn't cover the vampire loss. It only covers your capacity to maintain a charge at 70%.

Vampire loss is a must for Tesla so the question is how to minimize it.

Make sure you turn off your cabin overheat protection so it doesn't turn on when there's no one in the car.

Also:

Sentry Mode
Wifi
Tesla Cell phone app
Remote Access...

You are welcome to Service Appointment but know this: Tesla doesn't cover the vampire loss. It only covers your capacity to maintain a charge at 70%.

Vampire loss is a must for Tesla so the question is how to minimize it.

Make sure you turn off your cabin overheat protection so it doesn't turn on when there's no one in the car.

Also:

Sentry Mode
Wifi
Tesla Cell phone app
Remote Access...
I went through all my settings again and I think this started when I used "Scheduled Departure" I went in and turned the option off and when I got out of the car after a minute the fan I was hearing almost all the time did not come on so I will check later today and tomorrow to see if that did it. Thank you for your prompt reply and making me recheck my settings. Will let you know tomorrow if the car is acting like it used to. Thank you again. Phil

The mileage display is calculated based on what the BMS thinks the bottom and top of the battery are. The bottom and top values can vary based on temperature, charging history, and other factors. For example, if you charge between 40% and 80% for the majority of time, the BMS can "forget" what top and bottom are and thus the mileage calculation will be off.

Discharge your battery to below 20% and re-charge to above 90%; do this several times but be aware of one thing. The BMS needs the battery to "settle" before it calculates so, when below 20%, wait a few hours before charging so the BMS learns what bottom is and can re-calculate things. Same for 90% - get it to above 90% and let it sit for a while so the BMS learns what top is.

Because the displayed mileage value can vary a lot based on a variety of factors, I heartily recommend that you save yourself a lot of trouble and switch to % read-out.

• Informative
Reactions: Ecoli
Well, the "Scheduled Departure" Option was the culprit. Since I turned the Option off didn't lose any miles overnight.
Glad I didn't need to set up a Service Appointment.
Thanks to all who replied.
Ya, the scheduling features seem to cause the car to wake more often. I've noticed the same thing with a scheduled charging start time I enabled recently. It does seem to be smart enough to sleep normally if the car isn't plugged in though. When I leave it disconnected it goes back to sleeping and I only get 0-1 mile losses over extended durations.

I was glad to find this thread, because I've been losing about 5-8% while at work (car sitting about 10hrs). It's a more recent development, but I'm stumped. The only things different are: winter tires (TPMS warnings now), and I started scheduled charging. So I turned off scheduled charging and was hoping for the best... but no luck today, down another 7%.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

I was glad to find this thread, because I've been losing about 5-8% while at work (car sitting about 10hrs). It's a more recent development, but I'm stumped. The only things different are: winter tires (TPMS warnings now), and I started scheduled charging. So I turned off scheduled charging and was hoping for the best... but no luck today, down another 7%.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

You likely want to check your scheduled departure settings again (as they tend to be location dependent).

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Check summon settings if you have FSD
Summon standby basically keeps cameras and computer on to decrease summon startup time
and of course if sentry mode is on.
Car monitoring providers like TeslaFi can be keeping the car awake

Normally you should be able to hear a thunk as your car wakes up
Providing your not doing anything remotely like turning on AC or checking the car via the app.
That thunk sound is the sound of the High Voltage contactors closing
If your not hearing that, chances are your car is not sleeping

Reactions: RG-M3