Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

battery degradation threshold for warranty: 70% of what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am coming at this from the other direction. I am the third owner of a now 7 year old 70D Model S with around 85k miles. I am trying to figure out how to calculate if my battery has suffered TOO MUCH degradation (i.e., enough for warranty replacement) before the battery warranty runs out in 2023. I believe the theoretical max range for that battery would be around 223 miles when new. When I charge now, the available mileage shown is around 205-210. HOWEVER, the actual range is MUCH shorter than that. The major local airport is 62 miles away for a round trip distance of 124 miles. Starting at 100%, I arrive with 51%. I cannot make that round trip drive without a charging stop. Climate is temperate (think 80s F this time of year) and it's almost all highway, so avg speed probably 75 mph (which I know is a bit over optimal but not truly excessive). I don't think environmental and speed factors could account for a 40% difference in expected vs actual range. Said another way, I don't think there is any way, in any conditions (other than all down hill with a tail wind) that I could get anywhere near 200 miles on a single charge. So, I'm trying to figure out if I need to hit Tesla up for a replacement before the end of warranty. And I'd like to have hard numbers to back up my claim when they just say, "Nope, everything looks good." Would appreciate any thoughts.

I am coming at this from the other direction. I am the third owner of a now 7 year old 70D Model S with around 85k miles. I am trying to figure out how to calculate if my battery has suffered TOO MUCH degradation (i.e., enough for warranty replacement) before the battery warranty runs out in 2023. I believe the theoretical max range for that battery would be around 223 miles when new. When I charge now, the available mileage shown is around 205-210. HOWEVER, the actual range is MUCH shorter than that. The major local airport is 62 miles away for a round trip distance of 124 miles. Starting at 100%, I arrive with 51%. I cannot make that round trip drive without a charging stop. Climate is temperate (think 80s F this time of year) and it's almost all highway, so avg speed probably 75 mph (which I know is a bit over optimal but not truly excessive). I don't think environmental and speed factors could account for a 40% difference in expected vs actual range. Said another way, I don't think there is any way, in any conditions (other than all down hill with a tail wind) that I could get anywhere near 200 miles on a single charge. So, I'm trying to figure out if I need to hit Tesla up for a replacement before the end of warranty. And I'd like to have hard numbers to back up my claim when they just say, "Nope, everything looks good." Would appreciate any thoughts.
A couple things:
  1. Your battery doesn't have a degradation warranty, that didn't start until on the Model 3s. So you could lose 50% of capacity and they still wouldn't have to replace your battery.
  2. It is measured based on EPA rated miles, not "as driven" miles. (So your 205-210 figure.)
  3. An average speed of 75 MPH will kill your range. (To average 75 you have to be going faster than 75 a good portion of the time.)
If you have poor range at normal speeds, the EPA rating is based on no more than ~60 MPH, you could always check your wheel alignment to see if that is causing problems. (You can just look at your tires for weird wear patterns if it is really bad.)

Older model S do not have this 70% warranty so you need to go get feedback on this in the model S subforum (although @MP3Mike has given you some here).

Status
Not open for further replies.