Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery degradation warranty question.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I’m wondering if anyone else has had problems getting battery degradation % on their car?

I’ve done some basic Calcs and think my battery is around the 70% degradation mark, it’s a 2019 model X and it’s done around 50k miles.

I tried to request a battery health check from the tesla apps service tab, but had a phone call from service saying they had done a remote check and my battery was fine. I asked what percent degradation they had found my battery to be at so I could keep an eye on it and to check if my Calcs were about right or not….. the service guy then said tesla don’t give out those figures.

He then followed up, in message (see pic) saying tesla do not offer a battery warranty for degradation or loss of range on the model S/X.

I’m sitting here baffled as that completely contradicts everything I’ve heard/read about battery warranty on teslas, including teslas own website???

Can someone please check the message and see if I’m going mad, or I’ve mis-read what’s been wrote here?

Aidan :)

Attachments

• 4B766F7E-3E77-40F7-87DE-E8AECBCB00AA.jpeg
    4B766F7E-3E77-40F7-87DE-E8AECBCB00AA.jpeg
    254.3 KB · Views: 450
  • Helpful
Reactions: speedyranger74
I’m not intelligent enough to do battery degradation calculations, even basic ones, so I’d be interested to hear how you do it. All I can say is that my 2019 Raven MX LR still shows around the same range as it did when new and the simple battery state indicator on my Tesla Stats app shows hardly any degradation at all after 25000 miles.

2 options best as I can tell. You can go into the super secret service mode and do a battery health check. But that fully discharges the battery and then charges it up to full and can take like 24 hours so not ideal.

Alternatively use Tesla stats or something like Tessie that I use. Even if you just do the free trial, it will give you your battery health. Granted I'm not sure what info they use to calculate it mind.
Mines 92% after 25k miles. Coming up to 2 years old soon.

1673379631186.png

I’m not intelligent enough to do battery degradation calculations, even basic ones, so I’d be interested to hear how you do it. All I can say is that my 2019 Raven MX LR still shows around the same range as it did when new and the simple battery state indicator on my Tesla Stats app shows hardly any degradation at all after 25000 miles.
Hi Tony,

The Calcs baffled me for a bit, and I’m not sure if I did it right, so if I write it down here hopefully someone will point us in the right direction if we are wrong… :)

So, there used to be a way to get the car to do it for you, but it seems to have been removed in one of the updates, so that’s unfortunately out of the question, as that should have been mega accurate…..

I charged to 100%, then drove to 0% or 0 miles a without charging (made sure I was round home/near a charger near the 0% part for obvious reasons lol)…… I then took the dashboards display of ‘kw used since last charge’…. In my case it said 69.7kw when on zero miles. So in my mind, that meant my usable capacity is 69.7kw.

Then we need to find that as a figure against what it was stated at as new…..

Luckily, both Our cars are stated as 100kw, so for quick maths as 100kw is the figure same as 100%, you can think the battery is somewhere around 69.7% (or 69.7kw) usable of the original 100% (100kw).

But then the whole of the 100kw in the battery isn’t classed as ‘usable’, even from new…..

I think my P100D is/was classed as 98.4kw usable from new, and your long range is/was 95kw from new.

So the equation I then used to get the percentage degradation was-

100% ÷ 98.4kw original rated usable x 69.7kw currently usable = 70.83%, I think that is the percentage figure the battery is at. So it’s degraded 29.17% to 70.83%.

The problem is that I’m not sure if my original’usable’ figure is correct or not, as I found it on a non-official tesla website… and that’s what I was asking tesla for, or what percentage they found so I could compare….

So if you charge yours to 100%, drive it to 0% without charging, then do 100 ÷ ‘original rated kw’ times ‘kw used since last charge’ it will give you the % of original capacity (I think lol)

Reactions: Tonybvi

You can calculate it using the information on your screen, which is the only information that will matter in claiming this type of warranty, by following the instructions in a sticky thread in the model 3 subforum:

The clicks might be a bit different on your interface, but you should be able to get to the same information on your screen somewhere and follow the basic calculation.

For the OP, I dont have an S/X, but it was my understanding that the "70% threshold" only exists on cars with miles limited warranties (like all model 3s and Ys have). Newer S/X with miles limited warranties I believe have a 70% degradation warranty, but older ones just have one that says its warrantied for the unlimited miles from failure (not degradation).

If thats wrong, someone will correct me I am sure.

Hi Tony,

The Calcs baffled me for a bit, and I’m not sure if I did it right, so if I write it down here hopefully someone will point us in the right direction if we are wrong… :)

So, there used to be a way to get the car to do it for you, but it seems to have been removed in one of the updates, so that’s unfortunately out of the question, as that should have been mega accurate…..

I charged to 100%, then drove to 0% or 0 miles a without charging (made sure I was round home/near a charger near the 0% part for obvious reasons lol)…… I then took the dashboards display of ‘kw used since last charge’…. In my case it said 69.7kw when on zero miles. So in my mind, that meant my usable capacity is 69.7kw.

Then we need to find that as a figure against what it was stated at as new…..

Luckily, both Our cars are stated as 100kw, so for quick maths as 100kw is the figure same as 100%, you can think the battery is somewhere around 69.7% (or 69.7kw) usable of the original 100% (100kw).

But then the whole of the 100kw in the battery isn’t classed as ‘usable’, even from new…..

I think my P100D is/was classed as 98.4kw usable from new, and your long range is/was 95kw from new.

So the equation I then used to get the percentage degradation was-

100% ÷ 98.4kw original rated usable x 69.7kw currently usable = 70.83%, I think that is the percentage figure the battery is at. So it’s degraded 29.17% to 70.83%.

The problem is that I’m not sure if my original’usable’ figure is correct or not, as I found it on a non-official tesla website… and that’s what I was asking tesla for, or what percentage they found so I could compare….

So if you charge yours to 100%, drive it to 0% without charging, then do 100 ÷ ‘original rated kw’ times ‘kw used since last charge’ it will give you the % of original capacity (I think lol)

That isnt going to work as its not going to account for any power lost while not driving, so unless you drove that "100% to 0" in one drive, it wont be accurate as far as capacity.

2 options best as I can tell. You can go into the super secret service mode and do a battery health check. But that fully discharges the battery and then charges it up to full and can take like 24 hours so not ideal.

Alternatively use Tesla stats or something like Tessie that I use. Even if you just do the free trial, it will give you your battery health. Granted I'm not sure what info they use to calculate it mind.
Mines 92% after 25k miles. Coming up to 2 years old soon.

View attachment 894298
Hi, thanks for the post- I looked at that secret menu, but the degradation test wasn’t on it, a quick Google suggested that tesla just removed that option in a recent update? :) (see pic of me pointing to where I think the test would have been on the cars screen) let me know if you still have the option on yours?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 184
You can calculate it using the information on your screen, which is the only information that will matter in claiming this type of warranty, by following the instructions in a sticky thread in the model 3 subforum:

The clicks might be a bit different on your interface, but you should be able to get to the same information on your screen somewhere and follow the basic calculation.

For the OP, I dont have an S/X, but it was my understanding that the "70% threshold" only exists on cars with miles limited warranties (like all model 3s and Ys have). Newer S/X with miles limited warranties I believe have a 70% degradation warranty, but older ones just have one that says its warrantied for the unlimited miles from failure (not degradation).

Thanks for the reply- it was this (pic) on teslas website that says the 70% degradation for x/s that 150k, 8 years/ 70% applies… what do you think?

Attachments

• 1C055E09-3192-40FA-A35E-A59DC0F0F037.png
    1C055E09-3192-40FA-A35E-A59DC0F0F037.png
    451.1 KB · Views: 152

Hi Tony, just re-read your post (properly this time) - interesting that the unlimited mileage ones didn’t / might not have had 70% degradation included….. I’ll have a look into this as that could have been what the service guy meant?…. (I hope not tho lol)

Thanks for the reply- it was this (pic) on teslas website that says the 70% degradation for x/s that 150k, 8 years/ 70% applies… what do you think?

My opinion (keep in mind that I am just a volunteer mod here and do not speak for tesla, nor in this case am I speaking for TMC or anyone else other than myself as a regular poster), is that the information you have there corroborates what I put above. Newer model S and X that have a mileage warranty on the battery also have the 70% degradation statement. Ones that do not have a mileage warranty (unlimited miles) do not have a degradation statement, only "failure".

You mentioned that your app shows unlimited mileage, thus, I do not believe you have any degradation threshold (which is likely why Tesla texted you back to tell you that you did not have a degradation warranty).

In any case, you need to calculate it using the info on the screen per the linked thread I gave you. Driving it out, or any third party app wont matter to tesla even if you have a degradation threshhold which I do not believe in your specific case you do.

Reactions: outdoors
for info- I get 122 miles from 100% to 0% charge, I used to get 220 ish. I use about 510wh/mi on Ave, so I’m not trashing it…. And it’s the commute I’ve always done…. I’m just wondering if it’s the cold weather? Or if something is wrong?…. I commute about 100 miles per day and now have to charge to 100% to make the trip, and am on amber/red batt when I get back….before (august) an 80% charge did the trip easily with no range anxiety….. hope that info helps

My opinion (keep in mind that I am just a volunteer mod here and do not speak for tesla, nor in this case am I speaking for TMC or anyone else other than myself as a regular poster), is that the information you have there corroborates what I put above. Newer model S and X that have a mileage warranty on the battery also have the 70% degradation statement. Ones that do not have a mileage warranty (unlimited miles) do not have a degradation statement, only "failure".

You mentioned that your app shows unlimited mileage, thus, I do not believe you have any degradation threshold (which is likely why Tesla texted you back to tell you that you did not have a degradation warranty).

In any case, you need to calculate it using the info on the screen per the linked thread I gave you. Driving it out, or any third party app wont matter to tesla even if you have a degradation threshhold which I do not believe in your specific case you do.
Thank you for such a clear reply, I’d replied again after i re- read what you originally put above and what you say makes sense, I need to find out about the 70% threshold warranty on unlimited mileage batts, thanks again for a clear and helpful post….. it’s a shame if the warranty only covers failure as at this rate I’ll have to sell the car in a few months if it drops from its current 122 mile full charge range, to less than my daily commute of 100 miles…. 👍

for info- I get 122 miles from 100% to 0% charge, I used to get 220 ish. I use about 510wh/mi on Ave, so I’m not trashing it…. And it’s the commute I’ve always done…. I’m just wondering if it’s the cold weather? Or if something is wrong?…. I commute about 100 miles per day and now have to charge to 100% to make the trip, and am on amber/red batt when I get back….before (august) an 80% charge did the trip easily with no range anxiety….. hope that info helps

That doesnt have anything to do with battery degradation, and its very unlikely anything is wrong. In this case its likely because of the weather for higher consumption (things like rain, colder battery, more use of heat).

This topic ("the battery" / "battery degradation") is the single most discussed topic here across TMC, with 100s (no exaggeration) of threads here on the topic, probably at least 1 thread a day, every day, since I have been on TMC in late 2018 is either created or posted in on this exact topic, so there is a lot (lot lot) of discussion on this topic here across the various subforums.

You can try the calculation at the link I gave you above, even though its in the model 3 subforum, it should be appropriate for your car as well, you just may need to hunt around for where the screens are as I have no idea on your version of the interface.

If you are talking about "I can only go 122 real miles but the car reports XXX miles" that will likely improve as the weather improves, unless you have an older vehicle and the battery actually is going bad.

Hi, I looked at that Calc option but it got me confused as I have ‘rated’ and ‘typical’ for my remaining mileage? Which one would I use to do the Calc in the link? (See pic for what I mean) :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 248
We dont have that setting in model 3s or Ys but I would use "rated" to do the calculation as that is the only way we have it in model 3s. Rated miles are what the car is rated to do based on EPA / WLTP testing (which is extremely optimistic) but it displays what the car is rated for, vs what "it usually gets" which is what I assume typical would be.

• Helpful
Reactions: AidanR and outdoors
That doesnt have anything to do with battery degradation, and its very unlikely anything is wrong. In this case its likely because of the weather for higher consumption (things like rain, colder battery, more use of heat).

This topic ("the battery" / "battery degradation") is the single most discussed topic here across TMC, with 100s (no exaggeration) of threads here on the topic, probably at least 1 thread a day, every day, since I have been on TMC in late 2018 is either created or posted in on this exact topic, so there is a lot (lot lot) of discussion on this topic here across the various subforums.

You can try the calculation at the link I gave you above, even though its in the model 3 subforum, it should be appropriate for your car as well, you just may need to hunt around for where the screens are as I have no idea on your version of the interface.

If you are talking about "I can only go 122 real miles but the car reports XXX miles" that will likely improve as the weather improves, unless you have an older vehicle and the battery actually is going bad.
Hi, thanks again, I can understand you have a lot of posts on batteries, and I’m sure they get tiresome! I’ve had a few teslas, and know the range is shorter in cold, I know the 100% range is hardly ever correct….. it was just that full charge to zero saying 69.7kw that made me think even in the cold the kw usage would not change? Just the wh/mi would increase because of the heating/seats/lights etc being used more than normal? - is that correct? Or does the usable kw also go up and down depending on the weather? That would part answer my concerns, also if when using the link above for the model 3 batt Calc you’d use ‘typical miles’ or ‘rated’ miles?…..

If you were really bored, and I mean really bored, could you maybe look at my figures and help me out with which ones to use?….

Currently I’m at

116 miles range ‘typical’
145 miles range ‘rated’
48% battery (currently charging)
I’ve used 550wh/mi since last charge
The option for ‘since 5 min ago doesn’t exist on my display, but it says ‘since 16:50 (3.5h ago) it’s 433wh/mi….. but I’ve been parked for some of that time and I’m also on charge now….

Just out of interest, in this cold weather what sort of mileage do you get from half/full charge? I think we have the same size batt pack, so that could be a good indicator if it’s just winter weather affecting the range? :)