Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Degradation ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,
Just fully charged my 2019 SR+ and the battery shows 371 (230 miles) km instead of 386 (240 miles) km. That is a huge discrepancy. I have only 15250 km (9475 miles).
I am on 2019.28.3.1 - updated few days ago.
Is someone else noticed this issue? Much appreciated any inputs. Thank you.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyberShy
Hi there,
Just fully charged my 2019 SR+ and the battery shows 371 (230 miles) km instead of 386 (240 miles) km. That is a huge discrepancy. I have only 15250 km (9475 miles).

If this is something that continues it could be related to recent software updates. You may want to follow these threads:

Sudden Rated Range Drop

M3 Range Loss Date and Mileage Trend

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software (Model S side but possibly relevant)

Hi there,
Hope this post finds you well.

Battery Degradation; Sailing & Touching a Shore

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin

First time I have seen the referenced post and video. Both are FANTASTIC. the video is from the reference point of a different tesla (model 3s dont have range mode for example), but the information is fantastic, and in my opinion that post (with the included video) should be stickied at the top of every battery section here on TMC, so that when someone asks about this topic every 1.5 to 2 days, people can just refer them to that post and video if they havent seen it.

Thank you for sharing it.

How can we get it stickied here?

First time I have seen the referenced post and video. Both are FANTASTIC. the video is from the reference point of a different tesla (model 3s dont have range mode for example), but the information is fantastic, and in my opinion that post (with the included video) should be stickied at the top of every battery section here on TMC, so that when someone asks about this topic every 1.5 to 2 days, people can just refer them to that post and video if they havent seen it.

Thank you for sharing it.

How can we get it stickied here?
No kidding. I use that to explain to people who are inexperienced about the BMS & recalibrating - all the time.

In short - this is the gist of the poster's point:
This is why Tesla engineers, battery experts, Bjorn, and others, highly recommend what I call "touching a shore" or getting your battery to 0 or 100%. This gives the BMS a known point to base is calculations on. Make any sense? Furthermore, to get a really accurate test of your true battery health via range predictions, you have to do like Bjorn talks about and charge to 100% and then immediately drive to zero percent with no hard accelerations, no stops (doldrums), no hills, constant speeds, etc. Truthfully, it can't be done.

Last edited:
No kidding. I use that to explain to people who are inexperienced about the BMS & recalibrating - all the time.

In short - this is the gist of the post:
This is why Tesla engineers, battery experts, Bjorn, and others, highly recommend what I call "touching a shore" or getting your battery to 0 or 100%. This gives the BMS a known point to base is calculations on. Make any sense? Furthermore, to get a really accurate test of your true battery health via range predictions, you have to do like Bjorn talks about and charge to 100% and then immediately drive to zero percent with no hard accelerations, no stops (doldrums), no hills, constant speeds, etc. Truthfully, it can't be done.

We cant see the quote in the yellow text.. might want to change the color.... The information is awesome. its a really well done analogy in the linked post in my opinion.

Here is the photo with the battery fully charged - 371 KM not 386 KM. Before the last update (2019.28.3.1) the battery fully charge showed 384 km.

Attachments

• IMG_6077.JPG
    IMG_6077.JPG
    815.4 KB · Views: 97
Here is the photo with the battery fully charged - 371 KM not 386 KM. Before the last update (2019.28.3.1) the battery fully charge showed 384 km.

Well like everyone said & the article pointed out: it's normal behavior not degradation.

Touch the shores to get it back in line:
Charge to 100% then drive close to 0% on any occasional cycle you set for yourself.
That should calibrate the battery back to what you expect (~240 ish).

One other thing to think about: when we are in a gasoline car & the dashboard displays miles to empty (km to empty) vs. miles driven - it was never the same - why didn't we wonder if something was wrong with the engine?

Last edited:
Reactions: GRNN_Coco
Well like everyone said & the article pointed out: it's normal behavior not degradation.

Touch the shores to get it back in line:
Charge to 100% then drive close to 0% on any occasional cycle you set for yourself.
That should calibrate the battery back to what you expect (~240 ish).
I don't think "calibration" is really necessary or even useful anymore (and could potentially be very inconvenient and even damage the battery if you accidentally deep discharge it while "calibrating" the low end). After a firmware update sometime last year, the range estimator is now pretty accurate in my experience even if you almost never go to a very high and/or very low SoC. Just accept the fact that there will always be a few miles fluctuation in the displayed range. As you wrote, nobody would expect pinpoint accuracy from the fuel gauge in a gas car.