Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Degradation ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Invisible text said:

This is why Tesla engineers, battery experts, Bjorn, and others, highly recommend what I call "touching a shore" or getting your battery to 0 or 100%. This gives the BMS a known point to base is calculations on. Make any sense? Furthermore, to get a really accurate test of your true battery health via range predictions, you have to do like Bjorn talks about and charge to 100% and then immediately drive to zero percent with no hard accelerations, no stops (doldrums), no hills, constant speeds, etc. Truthfully, it can't be done.

I recently fully charged my battery for a road trip and it stopped at 298. I have a dual motor long range so it's supposed to have 310 miles of range. I have it for exactly one year and have 15,000 miles on it. Is it normal to lose 12 miles after one year? I usually charge it to around 80%, fully charged for road trip only.

I recently fully charged my battery for a road trip and it stopped at 298. I have a dual motor long range so it's supposed to have 310 miles of range. I have it for exactly one year and have 15,000 miles on it. Is it normal to lose 12 miles after one year? I usually charge it to around 80%, fully charged for road trip only.

Try charging daily to 90% instead of 80% for a week and see what happens. I think that amount of degradation would be within expectations, but Its my opinion that charging to 80% instead of 90% may be better for the battery as a whole (slightly better) but worse for the BMS system in estimating how much capacity you have left.

So, I dont think you have actual degradation.... you might but I have zero rated range loss with 13k miles in 9 months. Note, I am not saying I have zero loss because I dont know.. I only know what the car reports and have not tried to do any driving calculations etc.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
That is normal based on what I've read on the Model S threads. The degradation curve flattens out after the first year or so. To add a data point, my 1-year old, 19k mile Model 3 has lost 3-4 % of it's range if you believe the battery meter. It does seem to fluctuate though so I don't put too much faith in the battery meter.