Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My job, in late February, has changed, requiring me to drive my 2021 Y as much as 200 miles in a day, returning home with 13-19%.
The 7th through the 21st of March I used Superchargers to support my main charging and as of March the 22nd I've installed a wall charger in my home.
Lately, every time I check my charge limit for max range it seems to show a lower charge limit dropping to 320, 315, 310, 308.It is now showing 304 mi.
Question: Are these false readings, is the extra driving mileage effecting my battery, is this true degradation and if so, is it permanent or is something wrong with my Y?
Has someone else experienced this?

• Funny
Reactions: alexgr
Use search function. There is plenty threads about your questions. In short. No nothing is wrong with your car. First year car usually loses up to 5% of the range and then it stabilizes but it will degrade no matter what just not as fast as it did initially.

Upvote 0
It'll drop to about 90% of original and stabilize there for about 100,000 miles.

I think you have a pretty much ideal EV use case. Though I'd probably go to 95% in the morning to give you a little extra piece of mind while out on the drive if you don't have easy supercharger access.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Upvote 0
Question: Are these false readings, is the extra driving mileage effecting my battery, is this true degradation and if so, is it permanent or is something wrong with my Y?
Short answer is yes. it's a false reading to some extent. It's a projection/estimate and will change. The range projections can become inaccurate over time, but the car should re-calibrate once it gets a chance to use it's capacity to some degree. It will increase/decrease with the temperature, wheels/tires you choose, trip (uphill/downhill/traffic) and manage/project based on your battery usage. If you notice SUBSTANTIAL degradation (reporting 210-220 max range), at least you have the comfort knowing the car's drivetrain is under warranty. I think the degradation threshold for warranty service is 70% of the original capacity.

Hopefully you are following the recommendations from Tesla and not charging to 100% or letting it drop below 20% and storing it at those levels.
Just be sure to set the max daily charge it to 80-90%.

It looks like you have a pretty long commute, though... so if you feel more comfortable charging to 100% then just make sure you use it immediately.

Example: If you have a long trip ahead of you and need to charge to 100% from your house, I would schedule your charging to occur just before you leave for the day -- so it doesn't sit at 100% overnight.

Upvote 0
Also, I was under the assumption that you were able to wean yourself off of the Supercharger network. Try to minimize how often you are using the fast-charging DC Supercharging option, since it sounds like you can probably make it back/forth on one charge. Any high-current charging option will definitely have an increased effect on battery degradation. Actual loss would be speculative though.

If you can plan your trip where you can just rely on a destination charger somewhere near your office and then your home charger...

@damageprone -- That sounds like a pretty significant drop, hopefully it's just a calibration issue where the battery management just lost track of the battery capacity.

Reactions: damageprone
Upvote 0
realistically, does using a simple extension cord at home with one of the inputs provided in the car as a charging method affect your battery life at all? I do not have a wall charger installed at home (and don't really want to).

I know its going to take a long time to charge but curious about battery degradation. So far, I have only used superchargers near me as my method of charging. Just got the car 10 days ago.

Upvote 0
Also, I was under the assumption that you were able to wean yourself off of the Supercharger network. Try to minimize how often you are using the fast-charging DC Supercharging option, since it sounds like you can probably make it back/forth on one charge. Any high-current charging option will definitely have an increased effect on battery degradation. Actual loss would be speculative though.

Eh, Supercharging does degrade the battery but not as much as people think. Supercharge as much as you want. Plenty of real life examples. See tesloop. People have to realize the "max charge" range you see on the dash is an estimate by the computer, its not your actual real world range. Set the charge limit to 90% and just drive/charge normally.

Upvote 0
My job, in late February, has changed, requiring me to drive my 2021 Y as much as 200 miles in a day, returning home with 13-19%.
The 7th through the 21st of March I used Superchargers to support my main charging and as of March the 22nd I've installed a wall charger in my home.
Lately, every time I check my charge limit for max range it seems to show a lower charge limit dropping to 320, 315, 310, 308.It is now showing 304 mi.
Has someone else experienced this?
Guessing you didn't search the forum before posting this..... :cool:

Upvote 0