Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery degradation??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 Model Y Performance (Feb )
When it’s charged at 100 % it’s supposed to show around 300 miles , it was hovering around 298-300 which was okay. Now after 6 months it’s showing around 280-293 miles . I opened a case with Tesla and they remotely checked and said it’s because I was using when I was driving and was going above 65 , etc. while I agree the batter consumption varies according to the usage when I am charging the car at night that number should be consistently close to 300 when I charge to 100%. I don’t charge to 100% everyday, only when I go on a long trip. Normally I charge to 70% since my day trips are close to ~50-55 miles .

Now my question is , is thus battery degradation ? Is this rate of degradation normal ? Is there anything I can do to fix this ?

Reactions: Jones1
I have similar concerns, and my indicated degradation is significantly worse than the 5% / 1% mentioned in the note above. I got my Y in May of 2021 - when new the nominal and indicated range at 100% was about 330, which matched the specs. Now, my indicated max range at 100% is about 293, a reduction of 11.2%, and the car age is 1.33 years. The rate of apparent degradation has not decreased at all. I've tried the rebalancing tricks as noted in other threads, but they don't seem to have any effect. At this rate, I will have lost 30% of apparent capacity when the car is 3.5 years old. I say "apparent capacity" because no one but Tesla really knows what the capacity is. I only SuperCharge on long trips; home charge to about 80% otherwise, and have put about 30,000 miles on my Y. I also have a lifetime Wh/m of 242 which is the nominal value Tesla uses for the EPA calculation and shows that I don't really drive in an excessively spirited manner.

Lots of threads and discussion on this. I'll save you the search.

5% for the first year of ownership and 1% each year afterward.

It's a little more than that. Maybe 7% in the first year and 2% per year for another year or two, then reducing to 1%, although it's still too early to tell how the trend will continue. It seems to be mostly age-related as opposed to charging practices, although that does play some role.

I have similar concerns, and my indicated degradation is significantly worse than the 5% / 1% mentioned in the note above. I got my Y in May of 2021 - when new the nominal and indicated range at 100% was about 330, which matched the specs. Now, my indicated max range at 100% is about 293, a reduction of 11.2%, and the car age is 1.33 years. The rate of apparent degradation has not decreased at all. I've tried the rebalancing tricks as noted in other threads, but they don't seem to have any effect. At this rate, I will have lost 30% of apparent capacity when the car is 3.5 years old. I say "apparent capacity" because no one but Tesla really knows what the capacity is. I only SuperCharge on long trips; home charge to about 80% otherwise, and have put about 30,000 miles on my Y. I also have a lifetime Wh/m of 242 which is the nominal value Tesla uses for the EPA calculation and shows that I don't really drive in an excessively spirited manner.
stop worrying so much, it is meaningless anyway that number. Your numbers will always fluctuate. Just enjoy the car and drive.

Lots of threads and discussion on this. I'll save you the search.

5% for the first year of ownership and 1% each year afterward.

From the extensive (and I do mean extensive) discussions on this exact topic in the model 3 subforum, I would say its more like "5-10% the first year, trending down after that at about 1 ish percent a year or so".

Telsa diagnosed the battery of my 2022 M3 (Feb 2022) with 8,000 total miles. The retention capacity is only 86.7%:mad:. 0% supercharger.
I think Tesla should look at your Y to get a better understanding why this is happening. They can't say that 13.3% capacity loss in 7 months and 8,000 miles is normal. Understanding why it is happening is essential to preventing it from happening to other Teslas. There must be some uncommon mechanism at work. Toyota called such failures "golden gifts" because they provided opportunities to improve their knowledge and thus their manufacturing and design reliability. Having outliers like this show that they don't have control of their manufacturing process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rich Summers
2021 MYP. 303 miles estimated when new. 18 months of ownership/10,500 miles. Zero supercharging/Always charge at home on a 240 line. Drive roughly 150 miles/week. Charge twice a week to <80%. Only charge to 90%+ when I take a longer trip(Rarely).

After charging to 90% this past weekend I did the math and am at 277 miles at 100%.

Not really worried about it as I set it at percentage all of the time. Makes me wonder what will happen in another year or so though.

I’ve done almost the opposite of what’s recommended (not all by choice) on my LR 21 MY. My battery has been at 0% for 3 months after an accident, I charge to 100% a few times a month, I have to supercharge 3-6x a month and with 14,500 miles I show 323 miles at 100% obviously it’s an estimate but surprised I’m not showing more degradation with my battery habits.

2021 MYP. 303 miles estimated when new. 18 months of ownership/10,500 miles. Zero supercharging/Always charge at home on a 240 line. Drive roughly 150 miles/week. Charge twice a week to <80%. Only charge to 90%+ when I take a longer trip(Rarely).

After charging to 90% this past weekend I did the math and am at 277 miles at 100%.

Not really worried about it as I set it at percentage all of the time. Makes me wonder what will happen in another year or so though.
it will level out, my 2021 MYLR w/ 20" wheels has 23k miles and been sitting at 7% degradation for 7 months, you'll be okay

Reactions: Hamrhead
I have a 2021 Model Y performance and took delivery in Dec 20. After six months, adjusted to the 19 inch wheel set up in order to run on an all season rim/time package which meet Tesla specs. When I changed the software setting, I lost 9.4pct of range with less than 10k miles on the vehicle, however since that time have not noticed any further battery degradation. When addressing the issue with Tesla they simply say it is within normal parameters. Since we are very careful to follow day charging recommendations/battery management parameters and given the short time window, I believe that another factor with battery range has to do with software/algorithm anomalies.

Reactions: Jones1
I have a 2021 Model Y performance and took delivery in Dec 20. After six months, adjusted to the 19 inch wheel set up in order to run on an all season rim/time package which meet Tesla specs. When I changed the software setting, I lost 9.4pct of range with less than 10k miles on the vehicle, however since that time have not noticed any further battery degradation. When addressing the issue with Tesla they simply say it is within normal parameters. Since we are very careful to follow day charging recommendations/battery management parameters and given the short time window, I believe that another factor with battery range has to do with software/algorithm anomalies.
Our 2021 Model Y Performance Uberturbine wheels were getting badly rashed and were cracking in small potholes, tires were also getting shredded, which is not an uncommon occurrence with this setup since there isnt enough meat on these rims to survive 2 inch+ potholes. I made sure to speak with our local Tesla service department and ensured to follow their directions exactly on how to rest the system for 19inch rims and the correct non staggered tire set up. With the uberturbines we were getting 301 miles of range the first year and always ensured to charge according to our Tesla dealer’s directions for day charging etc., we have only supercharged a few times. Once we made the change to 6061 alloy forged flow 19 inch rims from T-Sportline with 19th Michelin Pilot 4 all season tires our (installation done at Costco) max battery range dropped to 286 miles immediately and has also more recently dropped to circa 275 miles of max range, which is nearly a 10pct loss of battery capacity. Thus far, our local dealer has no explanation for the range loss. Does anyone have experience and/or explanation of what the issue could be ?

I have a 2021 Model Y Performance which we took delivery of in Dec 2020. Original battery range was 301 miles, however after 6 months battery range decreased to 273 miles, therefore range loss of 9.43pct. The range loss occurred when changing the wheel setting in the system to the 19 inch set up In order to put 19 inch rims and all season tires on the vehicle for the winter. Putting the Uberturbines back on the vehicle does not increase range beyond the 273 mile current range. Since the time of the loss no further degradation has occurred. After repeated attempts to engage Tesla service to identify this as some form of software anO’Malley, Tesla Service will only say this amount of range loss is within normal parameters and will not engage further on the issue. Has anyone heard of this particular problem/how to deal with Tesla on it ?

You're posting in multiple threads about the same thing, yet with slightly different info...
I think you need to do more research about EVs and battery range in general.

• Disagree
Reactions: NevG and Rocky_H