Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Degrading question on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my model Y delivery on May 1st. I charge at home using the travel adaptor that came with the vehicle using the NEMO 14-50 adaptor (240 Volts 32 Amps). I set my charge limit to 85%. Initially, I saw the charge gave me 280 miles (at 85%), and when I charged 100%, it showed me 330 miles.

Recently for the past 10-15 days, I see the range is dropped as below.
85% charging =- 275 miles and 100% charging = 310 miles

Is this common, or is my battery degrading – Do I need to take it to Tesla service?

I have a MY LR manufactured in Mar 2021 with 32,000 miles. I have seen my 100 percent vary between 330 max to 321 today with several 310s-315s in between in the last fifteen months. Always charged at home with the mobile charger at 240, 32A to about 60-80 percent except for three road trips of 3000 miles each when it had to be obviously supercharged. So roughly 9,000 miles of supercharging out of 32,000 miles and the range is close to what the Monroney sticker says, 326 miles! Our Teslas have one of the best battery management systems in business.

Reactions: mangrove79
There is literally a ton of info on this same subject already posted, do a search

In another thread on this exact topic in this subforum, I found a few of the threads on this topic in this subforum. There are more, but for this OP, here is a link to a post that has "a few" of the threads on this exact topic

Perhaps one of these other threads on the topic of range might interest you (definitely not all inclusive). These were found by searching this subforum for "range". There are likely dozens more as well:

Here is a link to a 250+ page thread in the model 3 subforum on this exact same topic (250 pages, not 250 posts).

TL ; DR (literally) this is normal, and There is no reason (none) to even consider talking to tesla until your car reports 30% degradation as reported by using the cars information, NOT teslafi, NOT stats, NOT teslamate, or any other third party tool.

Reactions: Big Earl and CaseyL
Took delivery of my 2022 MYP in March. I use it to commute and currently have 14,000 miles. I have fluctuated between charging at 100% to 85% just to see what kind of range I can get. Now, if I charge it to 100% and switch it to miles range it reads 282 max range. It used to be 301 when I first got it. Isn't that a a significant range drop in a short period of time? Is this normal? If I charge it to 85% and switch it to miles it reads 242 miles max range. Something is not right.

Took delivery of my 2022 MYP in March. I use it to commute and currently have 14,000 miles. I have fluctuated between charging at 100% to 85% just to see what kind of range I can get. Now, if I charge it to 100% and switch it to miles range it reads 282 max range. It used to be 301 when I first got it. Isn't that a a significant range drop in a short period of time? Is this normal? If I charge it to 85% and switch it to miles it reads 242 miles max range. Something is not right.
Do a search for “range” top right.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
The range prediction has leanered your driving habits and conditions and has adjusted the range estimate accordingly. Your battery is fine.

I would recommend you limit charging to 90% unless your taking a long trip.

The range prediction has leanered your driving habits and conditions and has adjusted the range estimate accordingly. Your battery is fine.

I would recommend you limit charging to 90% unless your taking a long trip.
The range predictor in (Miles or Percentage) at the top of the screen does not adjust based on driving habits and/or conditions. This indicator is based solely on "Rated" Range. The Energy screen will give you a much closer idea of what your Range is based on the previous driving history (5/15/30) miles.

• Informative
Reactions: rjpjnk and Rocky_H
The range predictor in (Miles or Percentage) at the top of the screen does not adjust based on driving habits and/or conditions. This indicator is based solely on "Rated" Range. The Energy screen will give you a much closer idea of what your Range is based on the previous driving history (5/15/30) miles.
True, but driving and charging habits can cause the BMS to be off, sometimes significantly. The stated range is not necessarily indicative of battery health or degradation. A few cycles of 100% to 10% and back again will cause the stated range to fluctuate quite a bit once the BMS re-learns how much range is in the battery. I've seen swings of 20+ miles in stated range on our Model 3 if it is regularly charged 90%-70% and back again over the course of a few weeks.

I agree 100% that the stated range is not based on your driving habits and that it is based on rated range.

Reactions: GtiMart and 804son
True, but driving and charging habits can cause the BMS to be off, sometimes significantly. The stated range is not necessarily indicative of battery health or degradation. A few cycles of 100% to 10% and back again will cause the stated range to fluctuate quite a bit once the BMS re-learns how much range is in the battery. I've seen swings of 20+ miles in stated range on our Model 3 if it is regularly charged 90%-70% and back again over the course of a few weeks.

I agree 100% that the stated range is not based on your driving habits and that it is based on rated range.
Yes, Absolutely 👍

My mistake on the driving habits. In all honesty I never use the miles remaining (always look at SOC). I was under the impression 2022.16 updated this behavior of the range estimate.

None the less it’s not a good way to measure degradation. The only true way to measure it is to fully deplete it and look at the energy consumed. Even SOC is an estimate.

Charge it to 100% and run it down to zero then look at how much you consumed if your concerned about it. Otherwise enjoy the car 😎

Reactions: iamnid
My mistake on the driving habits. In all honesty I never use the miles remaining (always look at SOC). I was under the impression 2022.16 updated this behavior of the range estimate.

None the less it’s not a good way to measure degradation. The only true way to measure it is to fully deplete it and look at the energy consumed. Even SOC is an estimate.

Charge it to 100% and run it down to zero then look at how much you consumed if your concerned about it. Otherwise enjoy the car 😎
So True, I switched from Miles to Percentage as the BMS fluctuations/predictions drove me crazy for a while. Now I'm just enjoying the car and I don't really think about range, unless I need to make it to the next charger on road trip. 👍

Sorry to are k thread, but I picked up my MYP today it had 79% charge or 230 miles and after ten miles with a/c (100 degrees) it was 73 % or 213 miles when I got home 12 miles later the battery is now showing 73%. Is this normal. Sorry this is my first EV.
Yes. If you haven't been reading about range and battery related topics here on TMC you should start now, all these questions have been beaten to death in every conceivable fashion. Not blowing you off, it just doesn't help to pile on with the same responses time and time again. Use the search box top right and congrats! All of this will be familiar with experience soon :)

Last edited:
Yes. If you haven't been reading about range and battery related topics here on TMC you should start now, all these questions have been beaten to death in every conceivable fashion. Not blowing you off, it just doesn't help to pile on with the same responses time and time again. Use the search box top right and congrats! All of this will be familiar with experience soon :)
Thanks mate