Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery depletion in winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Suggestions:
  1. turn off Summon Stanby (keeps car awake)
  2. turn off Sentry Mode (keeps car awake)
  3. don't pre-heat more than necessary (preheating heats both the cabin and the battery)
  4. pre-heat the car when it's plugged in (consumes power from the wall instead of from the battery)
Short trips in cold weather will consume a large amount of power due to heating up the cabin and battery from cold. Multiple short trips are the worst. Snow also adds a lot of consumption. My experience in -15 to -20C temperatures with heavy snow has been a 40% reduction in range on a moderate-to-long trip. Short trips in those conditions can use even more energy depending on the circumstances.

For a standard range plus, I'd recommend keeping it plugged in and topped off whenever possible in the winter.
You can buy an electric blanket that plugs into the 12v socket instead of using the heater. People did that back in the days of the original Leaf and the Ford Focus Electric. I bought one for my sister and she loved it.

It is possible.. this was lastnight.. not the greatest efficiency with a cooooold battery. I get over 80% when its warm out so less than 1/5th the distance.

FEB22659-9C39-46D1-9580-DD3B69053D05.jpeg

This morning it was 18f and my total commute miles was 85.

My Model 3 used 23 kWh to do the 85 miles

23 kWh x $.0115 (rate for electric) = $2.64

My old car would have cost $7.22

I’d be more interested in how many rated miles you used today (including any you used when plugged in...)...and your vehicle type...you have got quite a lot of latitude on what that trip meter says, depending on your habits...

@ -20C, In a 7.5 Km drive with one hour long stop half way (3.75 Km) my car will use about 7.5 Kw (10%) That's 1 Kw/Km.
I keep the car in an unheated insulated garage with ambient being -2C. I also pre-heat for 20 minutes while plugged in. The first part of any trip uses a lot of battery when it is -10 to -20 C. Take a look at ^ [Energy] graph. The first part of a drive will go way above 600 (out of range), so high losses initially, will kill the battery rapidly with an average way over 400 W/Km. On a longer highway trip at -20C with heat at 19 to 20 C, I'll use 210 W/Km (or lower) as an average depletion rate. Cold weather driving and a short trip sux the juice, but I will not freeze by only using seat heat and not using heat.

Hi,

New user/buyer. Took delivery of Range plus with white interior and FSD. Love the car so far.

The battery however, spends a lot more energy than I thought. I had heard 20-30% loss in the winter but this past Saturday night, almost came home empty. It was about -8C, snowing... before going out, I had 139KM left. Went to restaurant, 8 kms. On the way back it was snowing hard and I had to take an alternate route of 12KM to come back. All in all, 20kms ride. I came home with 23km left on the battery.

Is this normal ? 100KMS in a city outing ? It's not an isolated incident. Battery depletion is awful.

Joe

This is NOT normal. What was your power consumption? Kilometers/miles don't tell the entire story. I'm really curious what your Wh/K are.
I am in miles, but I've never seen mine go above 400(and I've had days of temps hovering around 0 F

It is possible.. this was lastnight.. not the greatest efficiency with a cooooold battery. I get over 80% when its warm out so less than 1/5th the distance.

View attachment 502785

That insanely high 821 number was for 3.3km with a cold battery ranging up to 76mph.
If the OP was doing city driving for 20km I don't understand how he consumed so much power. Even if the car was ice cold in both directions.
On my commute home if I forget to pre-heat my car I consumer approx 14 miles of range on my 9 mile trip. That's a completely cold car. If I warm it up it's around 12 miles of range, which is right in line with the 30% figure that I read in this forum before I bought my car. 30% has played out just as I was told for every trip I've taken this winter(often temps have been 15 degrees F). I find the OP's numbers VERY unusual.

I've had pretty bad Wh/mi in CT this winter. A lot of it is due to battery heating, so the first 10 miles or so of any trip are awful. If you do a bunch of short trips, you will get terrible efficiency.

Absolutely love my car, but it is frustrating to drive a CA designed car in CT! I can't even imagine how tough it is for you guys in Canada.

Had an interesting little trip this last Sunday where the temps were around -2 to -10 F the whole day. Also had a cold soak in there for a few hours and was outside for a total of about 8 hours. Left the house with about 90%. Drove 60 miles at about 65 mph and HVAC set to around 69 (for infant). Did some little trips around the destination city with a small amount of preheating here and there. We ended up being low enough that we felt we needed to Supercharge before we headed back home (60 miles again). Supercharging started off at 25 kW and eventually got to 35 kW. Pretty crazy what extreme cold can do to even a long range battery.