TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Battery discharge while driving non-linear?

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by Bob L, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Bob L

Bob L Junior Member

May 30, 2011
    Colorado Front Range
    Since I got my roadster (#1325) two years ago I have been playing a mind game while driving in an effort to get a picture of the battery discharge rate. Nominally I start off with ~180 miles estimated. I then add the miles driven and estimated range numbers to come up with a guestimate for that charge under the current driving conditions. As the miles driven goes up the sum of the two numbers seems to climb to as high as 200+ between 0 and 50 miles driven. The number then starts going down coming to as little as 150 miles by the time I have driven over 100 miles. I tried writing down the numbers while driving. NOT a good idea! I am now looking at using my GoPro camera to record the data for later analysis. Anyone been there done that?

Bob L
  2. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Jun 7, 2011
    The estimated miles are based on the last 30 miles of driving. It sounds like the first 50miles or so of your trip are a little easier, for example slower, less elevation gain, etc. I don't use estimated miles for that reason, preferring ideal miles instead. That has its own accuracy issues but I find it much easier to manage than estimated miles.