Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery discharge with Sentry mode vs without?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After upgrades to 2019.36.--- the battery draw while parked with Sentry mode enabled has gone up radically.
Just this morning after parking for 2 hours 6 minutes I had a loss of 8.93 miles and 2.03 kwh. This has become about the standard type of loss for me with sentry enabled. It used to be about a loss of 1 mile of range for every hour parked. Now if I know that I am going to be parked for an extended time I am to the point of turning off Sentry. A full day of parked (8 hours)
would literally use 5-10% of the total battery capacity (75kw-).
Is anybody else seeing this type of loss or am I just "lucky" to be having this amount of battery usage. There is nothing else enabled-- no dog mode, no overheat protection, etc. On average over the last 2-3 weeks battery loss with Sentry on is 4-5 times higher than without- 1 mile loss per hour (.1kwh) without vs 4-5 mile loss per hour (.5-.8kwh) up to with Sentry.
I know that some of the variance with Sentry is due to the number of incidents recorded but I do see this higher usage even with Sentry staying idle the entire time.

After upgrades to 2019.36.--- the battery draw while parked with Sentry mode enabled has gone up radically.
Just this morning after parking for 2 hours 6 minutes I had a loss of 8.93 miles and 2.03 kwh. This has become about the standard type of loss for me with sentry enabled. It used to be about a loss of 1 mile of range for every hour parked. Now if I know that I am going to be parked for an extended time I am to the point of turning off Sentry. A full day of parked (8 hours)
Is anybody else seeing this type of loss or am I just "lucky" to be having this amount of battery usage. There is nothing else enabled-- no dog mode, no overheat protection, etc. On average over the last 2-3 weeks battery loss with Sentry on is 4-5 times higher than without- 1 mile loss per hour (.1kwh) without vs 4-5 mile loss per hour (.5-.8kwh) up to with Sentry.
I know that some of the variance with Sentry is due to the number of incidents recorded but I do see this higher usage even with Sentry staying idle the entire time.

I’m still seeing about 1.1 mile per hour discharge. Is it super cold where you are?

I had sentry on for about 4 hours last night (4 events) and lost somewhere around 20 miles. It was around low 60s last night and about 50F this morning. So whatever "normal" loss associated with cold temps overnight is included in that figure since I just noticed the less-than-expected range this morning. This seems to put me somewhere around your ~4.5mi/hr drain or so.

I rarely use sentry but was also seeing about 1mi/hr when it was first released. I'm currently on 36.2.1

do you have FSD or Enhanced autopilot? If so, you should check to make sure your "summon standby" is not on. It defaulted to on when the feature was rolled out, and has a decent amount of drain ( like 1/2 a mile or so).