Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery discharging after 2020.20.13 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, is anyone witnessing an unusually high rate of battery discharging after the update to 2020.20.13? I see a 5% drop everyday in battery without moving the car. Sentry mode is off, the car is parked indoors where the average temp is 16C. The same situation before the update there was a 1% max drop in battery level.

I've seen the car awake for ~15 minutes then sleep for ~5 minutes over and over all night long. What seemed to cause it was leaving the car plugged in once the car had charged to the set amount - unplugging the car fixed it. I had rebooted, toggled Sentry and Cabin Temp, reset my Tesla.com password and generated new tokens for Teslafi, none of which did anything to stop it.

I normally do not plug in the car and let it charge right away, but it's been hot and I usually drop the SOC and allow immediate charging when it is. For all I know this has been going on for some time or with other cars, but first I have seen it is the last few days after the 2020.20.13 update.

It does not seem to trigger when I plug in at night with the charge limit set below the current SOC, only when the charge limit and the SOC are the same.

Last edited:
I am not plugging it in overnight. Only when the need to charge. Sentry is already off. Do not have teslafi. So no reason for the car to wake up or be awake. The car is parked below in the garage and I am 9 levels above so the car keys are quite far away. No wifi connection as well so data traffic should be minimal. For the past 1year the car has been fine in the exactly same location and charging habits.

It’s happening to me too on the latest software. For what it’s worth when I went to open the trunk in the garage today,I accidentally touched the rear view camera and noticed it was pretty hot. I wonder if it’s a bug where it’s not shutting off the cameras or something. It’s only a month old and i’ve never enabled sentry mode, and disabled teslafi, reset everything. can’t figure it out

It’s happening to me too on the latest software. For what it’s worth when I went to open the trunk in the garage today,I accidentally touched the rear view camera and noticed it was pretty hot. I wonder if it’s a bug where it’s not shutting off the cameras or something. It’s only a month old and i’ve never enabled sentry mode, and disabled teslafi, reset everything. can’t figure it out
Samething again tonight, between yesterday afternoon and today morning 3% down. My rear camera was also very hot. You are right something going on with it.

Same here with my 2019 Raven MX. Most I ever lost before was 1% over a 24 hour period and usually less than that. Since installing 2020.20 it’s losing at least 4%. Sentry is off, I don’t wake it with the app and it loses that much whether plugged in or not.

Samething again tonight, between yesterday afternoon and today morning 3% down. My rear camera was also very hot. You are right something going on with it.

I went out and touch my backup/rear view camera, wow, it is also very hot, something must still be running and not putting the car into sleep.

Mine is very warm too, but not hot to touch. Has been in the garage for 24 hours. Sentry Mode is off. My Model X AP2.5 also has problem going to sleep after installing 2020.20.12, but it didn't happen right the way. 2020.20.12 was installed on 6/12. Start failing to sleep on 6/18. I drove a couple of times in between.

Same here for a late 2018 X. With the update to this version I can confirm the car is not going to sleep. It hasn't slept since the update whereas before it would sleep regularly.

I also checked the rear camera and noticed it is warm. I wouldn't say hot. I don't know if that's a new thing or not, though.

I have had the high losses since June 8, a day after 2020.20.5 was installed. I am currently on 2020.20.12.

A few key data points for me:
  • Car was unused for precisely 7 days, and it lost 24% in that time. This was over 20 kWh energy.
  • I am a Teslafi user and disabled that 24 hours ago and left the car totally undisturbed. Continued same loss rate of 3%/day.
  • I have charged 2 times when I noticed particularly high losses afterwards. -6% in 24 hours.
I had a service appointment for this scheduled for 6/22. One hour before the appointment they called me to say they can diagnose remotely, not to bring it in. So far it has been like a very slow fishing trip via sparse text messages. They have given no indication of this being a known issue, instead going through all the things I might be doing wrong (including use of 3rd party app, thus why I disabled it for now.)

I am confident that it is a software bug, but would like some word that the Tesla engineers are aware of it. Unlike others are reporting, my cameras are not hot. Absolutely nothing unusual about the car other than it is not sleeping and is burning a lot of energy on something (or nothing).

Sept 2017 Model X, 100D, MCU1, HW2.5 upgraded to HW3

I have exactly the same symptoms as Bigriver above with similar levels of loss. I have booked a service appointment for next Wednesday 1st July mainly to make Tesla aware of the issue as I am convinced it is a software bug that could be fixed remotely. I really don’t want to travel a 300 mile round trip from Aberdeen to Edinburgh Service Centre for this problem and am still hoping a remote fix is possible. So far Tesla have given no indications that it is a known bug.