Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery discharging after 2020.20.13 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use the app / Switch Vehicle screen. It shows which of the cars are online, offline, or asleep. Probably doesn't work if you only have 1 car on your app.

Since 2020.20.12 my 2019 MX Raven doesn't sleep - just like everyone else in this thread. Gone from losing 1% in 2 days to 4% per day.

How are you guys checking if the car sleeps? or when the car last slept?
Good question. the only way I know is through 3rd party apps. I would also note, tho, that sleeping isn’t the real issue... the vampire loss is. In my interactions with Tesla I never mention sleeping, only that loss is much higher than the 1%/day that the owner’s manual says to expect.

I use the app / Switch Vehicle screen. It shows which of the cars are online, offline, or asleep. Probably doesn't work if you only have 1 car on your app.
I’ve not found this of any use, although I have multiple cars and solar. Here, this morning it showed my Model 3 online, when it had been asleep for 8 hours, per Teslafi.

C2963537-16B1-4E53-8F22-76A02A377CB0.jpeg

I was scheduled for a ranger visit next Monday and in preparation the Tech resent my last update, 2020 20.12xxx, to reinstall. I checked the range milage before the install, after, and then four hours later. The drop was 2 miles, or about one/half mile per hour which is what the range drop has been for the last several weeks. I rebooted the car and checked for milage drop this morning, 10 hours after the reboot.

The drop was one mile of range in ten hours. It appears fixed after a reinstall and reboot. See msg #35 in this thread for a more complete description of what led up to this reinstall.

Unfortunately the NZ Tesla Service guys are no good. I reported to them that I am loosing 1kWh every 4hrs, they did not bother and are trying to tell me that they have checked and my battery loss is within specifications. I even showed them this post and they still refuse to agree there is an issue with the firmware. They are in full on denial mode.
Then I got a bit happy when I saw people mentioning here that the new update fixed the issue. I waited for the update only to find the car is just not happy to download it. Tried so many ways to connect to different wifi networks but the update just does not get downloaded.
Thought of restarting the console, only to realise that none of the buttons on my steering wheel are working, not even the horn, so am not able to restart it as well.
As urgent as this is for me the Service guys here feel the car is all good and ask me to book an appointment where the earliest is after 3 weeks.
Super disappointed with Tesla NZ. will be trying my luck again on Monday if they agree to push the update and fix the steering for me.

I reported to them that I am loosing 1kWh every 4hrs, they did not bother and are trying to tell me that they have checked and my battery loss is within specifications. I even showed them this post and they still refuse to agree there is an issue with the firmware. They are in full on denial mode.
I feel your pain.

My model X has been in an ongoing virtual appointment all week, with no resolution yet. Very consistently losing 3%/day through the different things they have asked me to do (which includes disable Teslafi, reboot, drive short distance, charge to 90%.) Yet they have replied with some annoying things like saying they’ve noticed an improvement in the loss when I disabled the 3rd party app (which did not change the loss at all) and late in the week, that they would compare my losses to the fleet average to determine if ok. Do they not know the basics that the owners manual defines 1%/day?

I bite my tongue and measure my words in my responses back. From past experiences I know that they do not want to hear about what is being said in the online forums, nor what I already know because I’m a student of my car’s behavior. Yesterday, I did point to the 1% in the owners manual and I gingerly mention that I had heard of others having this problem, and that a reinstall of 2020.20.12 solved it for some. This morning in my daily check of the car, I did have that re-install waiting for me. Will see if that changes anything.

I am curious, though, what the root problem is. I would have hoped that they know what the car is doing with that energy.

So the latest 2020.24.6.1 update fixed the HOT rear view camera, phantom drain and not sleeping issues.

I charged to 80% two days ago and it’s still holding at 80% and sleeping nicely. I posted on the other thread with the same issues. So at least there’s hope for all of you with this issue. Also, I’m curious if all or most of us were experiencing the hot review camera. Somehow I think this was what was causing the lack of sleeping thus phantom drain.

I still left my scheduled Mobil Service appointment open just in case. I will cancel when they contact me or close to the scheduled date.

Like most of you 2020.24.6.1 fixed the issue - well it’s been ok for 2 days since I installed the update! Prior to that I had a definitely warm (but not hot) rear camera, losses of between 3 and 4% per 24 hour period even though the car was unused and I don’t think it was sleeping. Now I must have lost less than 1% in the past 24 hours and a cool camera! Let’s hope it stays that way.