Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery discharging after 2020.20.13 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed 2020.24.6.1 yesterday. My initial take from letting it sit overnight is that the update did not fix my battery drain. Miles lost is still in line with 3%/day.

I also never had the hot camera, which most of you reported. I have a September 2017 build, which seems it is older than most of you have.

So the latest 2020.24.6.1 update is intermittent. The HOT rear view camera, phantom drain and not sleeping issues are back again.

Last night I noticed when I opened the app I did not get the “Waking up” message. When I checked the rear view camera it was hot again. Glad I didn’t cancel my service appointment.

For those that have updated please check again.

For those who are still facing the issue and are not able to get the update for whatever reason. I have found that turning off climate control manually before leaving the car does the trick as well. You will still find the camera to be hot but will not lose much power.
To turn it off I simply press and hold the blades icon at the bottom centre of the screen.

Hi All. I am fairly new to Tesla and the forum. My model X had 1% drain per 24 hours during March and April and then 6% per 24 hours recently. I will check the rear camera temperature but can tell that, during the night, the USB (plugged in for DashCam) is still flashing away and the buttons on the steering wheel are illuminated. Sentry Mode is not on. Anything I am clearly forgetting to turn off? Thanks

Hi All. I am fairly new to Tesla and the forum. My model X had 1% drain per 24 hours during March and April and then 6% per 24 hours recently. I will check the rear camera temperature but can tell that, during the night, the USB (plugged in for DashCam) is still flashing away and the buttons on the steering wheel are illuminated. Sentry Mode is not on. Anything I am clearly forgetting to turn off? Thanks
What update do you have? 2020.24.6.1 seems to have solved the problem for many (including me).

Hi - still on 2020.20.12. Don’t think we have had anything newer in the U.K.
TeslaFi shows 88 of 2020.24.6.1 installed in the UK. That's not very many but it's still in the early part of the rollout. TeslaFi has 11,747 contributing vehicles and only 3,317 (28+ %) have gotten 2020.24.6.1 as of now. Hopefully you'll get it soon...it's a good update.

If you would like to try TeslaFi you can use my referral code N1 and if you do you'll get a 4 week trial period instead of 2 weeks.

Hi - still on 2020.20.12. Don’t think we have had anything newer in the U.K.

I got it just under a week ago - as far as I am aware Scotland is still in the UK!! And it seems to have fixed the battery drain issue although I’m touching wood on this as there are some reports coming out of the States that some on 202.24.6 are “re-experiencing” the phantom drain problem.

So far all information provided by the NZ Tesla Service Guys has not been trustworthy. However, to quote them, " loosing 5% daily is to be expected with all Tesla cars". They also did something to me car that I am no longer being able to see the 2020.24.6 update and they say that possibly Tesla has pulled back the update. So I am stuck on 2020.20.13 with a team of service guys do not understand or believe in service. Massive disappointment with Tesla.

So far all information provided by the NZ Tesla Service Guys has not been trustworthy. However, to quote them, " loosing 5% daily is to be expected with all Tesla cars". They also did something to me car that I am no longer being able to see the 2020.24.6 update and they say that possibly Tesla has pulled back the update. So I am stuck on 2020.20.13 with a team of service guys do not understand or believe in service. Massive disappointment with Tesla.

"Loosing 5%" I feel your irritation...and it is of course complete and utter BS. I'm on 2020.20.13 and I'm back to losing less than 1% per night. You will lose more % if you keep the key near the car, leave a door open or ajar, keep sentry mode on, or if you keep cabin overheat protection on. Other causes of unexpected reduction in % is if it gets much colder overnight (you must be in the middle of winter now in NZ).

I have had the same issue in the past of updates being staged and then removed. Don't worry about it. You'll get it again later, or a newer hopefully bug free update.

"Loosing 5%" I feel your irritation...and it is of course complete and utter BS. I'm on 2020.20.13 and I'm back to losing less than 1% per night. You will lose more % if you keep the key near the car, leave a door open or ajar, keep sentry mode on, or if you keep cabin overheat protection on. Other causes of unexpected reduction in % is if it gets much colder overnight (you must be in the middle of winter now in NZ).

I have had the same issue in the past of updates being staged and then removed. Don't worry about it. You'll get it again later, or a newer hopefully bug free update.
Thanks for that. Yes it is irritating that power is being lost without any explanation the company service refuses to acknowledge it, let alone fix it.
I have spent one winter with the car and it never lost more than 1% in 24hrs. Now its loosing 1% every 4hrs. The super solution from Tesla, keep it plugged in. I asked him will that generate power for the car and not show on the power bill?
My car is parked in an indoor parking where the temp is never below 17C so no reason for it to loose power.
The cabin overheat is only if the cabin temp goes over 40C so it should never kick in at all in my situation.

Thanks for that. Yes it is irritating that power is being lost without any explanation the company service refuses to acknowledge it, let alone fix it.
I have spent one winter with the car and it never lost more than 1% in 24hrs. Now its loosing 1% every 4hrs. The super solution from Tesla, keep it plugged in. I asked him will that generate power for the car and not show on the power bill?
My car is parked in an indoor parking where the temp is never below 17C so no reason for it to loose power.
The cabin overheat is only if the cabin temp goes over 40C so it should never kick in at all in my situation.

The cabin overheat protection will drain the battery even if it doesn't actually kick in, just because it keeps the car on. I recommend turning it off if you're not using it.

Reactions: Royalpopat
I was scheduled for a ranger visit next Monday and in preparation the Tech resent my last update, 2020 20.12xxx, to reinstall. I checked the range milage before the install, after, and then four hours later. The drop was 2 miles, or about one/half mile per hour which is what the range drop has been for the last several weeks. I rebooted the car and checked for milage drop this morning, 10 hours after the reboot.

The drop was one mile of range in ten hours. It appears fixed after a reinstall and reboot. See msg #35 in this thread for a more complete description of what led up to this reinstall.

I have had exactly the same problem and solution, on 2020.20.1. They have now sent me the re-install twice, because the 'fix' only works for a couple of days, max one week. Very strange, but true...

I also have the issues with charging and a warm camera (not too hot), and I now have a constant recharge scenario (for the second time). I am now on version 2020.24.6.1., I charge to 80%, and when home, I leave the X permanently connected to the wall charger as per-instructions from Tesla when I purchased the X.

Before this constant recharging scenario started, I would lose about 3-4miles of range a day and the X would recharge each night to recover that loss. Worked great for almost two years.

Two software versions ago, I noticed the X was attempting to recharge every 15mins. That cannot be good.

One software version ago, the X returned to a nightly recharge (as per-normal).

Latest software version, I am back to the X attempting to recharge every 15mins.

It would appear Tesla has problems with losing fixes to previous problems with subsequent software releases. I noticed this recurring problem in software upgrades about a year ago with a problem to do with opening the charge door from the button on the wall charger lead. They fixed it, they lost it, they fixed it again.

I am guessing there will be another software version that will fix the leakage/constant-charge issue again.

Maybe Tesla has software source control issues?

I think 2020.24.6.1 fixed the sleep/drain problem for me. Probably.

I first reported that after 12 hours it was looking like the drain was continuing. But then the car did go to sleep for 2 solid days, starting at 77% and ending at 77%!!

After using the car this morning, though, I was unpleasantly surprised to find that the car was still awake late afternoon and had had a notable drain. Furthermore, we found that our iPhones were connecting to the car while we were in the house, at least 20 feet away. This isn’t suppose to be able to happen starting with 2020.8.* update. I took the car on a short drive, rebooted it, and it did go to sleep within an hour. So hopefully back good.

I do note that when I get in the car there is a really long delay for the binnacle display to change from black. I’m ok with this as long as the crazy drain stops. I’m also reminded to look at the losses from a multi-day view. I think it’s only a problem if the losses are continually high.

I also have the issues with charging and a warm camera (not too hot), and I now have a constant recharge scenario (for the second time). I am now on version 2020.24.6.1., I charge to 80%, and when home, I leave the X permanently connected to the wall charger as per-instructions from Tesla when I purchased the X.

Before this constant recharging scenario started, I would lose about 3-4miles of range a day and the X would recharge each night to recover that loss. Worked great for almost two years.

Two software versions ago, I noticed the X was attempting to recharge every 15mins. That cannot be good.

One software version ago, the X returned to a nightly recharge (as per-normal).

Latest software version, I am back to the X attempting to recharge every 15mins.

It would appear Tesla has problems with losing fixes to previous problems with subsequent software releases. I noticed this recurring problem in software upgrades about a year ago with a problem to do with opening the charge door from the button on the wall charger lead. They fixed it, they lost it, they fixed it again.

I am guessing there will be another software version that will fix the leakage/constant-charge issue again.

Maybe Tesla has software source control issues?

An Update: My model X continues to wake-up every 15 mins even when the wall-charger is disconnected. The daily power drain is still at 3-4 miles per-day

This thread reminds me of why I am NEVER so anxious to get the latest and greatest minor update. My car wants to install this version, but I came here first to see what people might be saying. sooooo, "If it ain't broke....".
I'll wait for a different future update :) I hope you folks have luck getting it fixed.

Reactions: KrenGrl
I've subscribed to this thread. Unfortunately for me, 2020.24.6.1 did not fix this issue for me on my Performance Model 3.

My model 3 hasn't slept multiple times in a day since 6/11 and it hasn't slept at all since 6/30.

Latest Updates
7/10 - 7/13 (no sleeps)
7/9 (no sleeps) 2020.24.6.4 was installed this day
7/1 - 7/8 (no sleeps)

Last Sleeps
6/30 (1 sleep)
6/19 (1 sleep)
6/26 (1 sleep) 2020.24.6.1 was installed this day
6/24 (1 sleep)
6/23 (1 sleep)
6/22 (1 sleep)

Last time for multiple sleeps in a day
6/11 (6 sleeps) 2020.20.12 was installed this day.
6/10 (2 sleeps)
6/09 (5 sleeps)
6/08 (3 sleeps)
6/7 (7 sleeps)
6/6 (3 sleeps)
6/5 (5 sleeps) 2020.16.3 was installed this day.

So 2020.20.12 is when my problems started (and I have seem similar reports of 2020.20.13). I don't know what happened after 6/30 why it went from 1 sleep per day to zero. I have everything turned off including cabin overheat protection so it's not the summer heat in the garage.

Please do report back if this issue goes away for you or if you find any other partterns.

Thanks!