Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery discharging after 2020.20.13 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@eXntrc, I believe everyone else on this thread has model X’s. I have both a model X and a model 3, and this issue was only on my model X. It was also not just rarely sleeping, but absolutely never sleeping. And more importantly, battery drain of 3 to 5% per day.

I understand that your model 3 hasn’t slept for 2 weeks now. But your timing doesn’t coincide with your software updates, so it would seem something else is going on. My model 3 generally sleeps quite well. I have noticed longer times recently of it staying awake after drives, I presume communicating with the mother ship. I know in the past I found that disabling WiFi when I got home would cut off that process and it was more likely to sleep.

Sorry folks that I didn't notice this was an X specific thread before posting. But when @Bigriver pointed that out it just motivated me further to continue digging in.

I feel pretty silly, but my particular issue stemmed from a new 3rd party service I decided to try months ago and then forgot about. This is out of character for me because I knew it required my Tesla credentials. The service was OptiWatt, and the moment I signed out of that service my 3 started sleeping again.

I hope the update has cleared everything up for you X owners.

Cheers!

Earlier this week I received version 2020.2.6.9. The car is sleeping now but still not like before. I can tell when it’s not when the rear camera is hot.

Has anyone been to the Service Center regarding this issue? If so what was their response? My remote service was pushed back to August 12.

Hi all, is anyone witnessing an unusually high rate of battery discharging after the update to 2020.20.13? I see a 5% drop everyday in battery without moving the car. Sentry mode is off, the car is parked indoors where the average temp is 16C. The same situation before the update there was a 1% max drop in battery level.
My model X lost 9-12 miles, just by parking in the garage when the temperature has been not hot or cold. I called the service center and was told it was normal. I noticed the front and rear lights seemed to flash randomly and the horn would occasionally beeped in the middle of the night. I finally figured out it was the key FOB. Over the last month, I leave the keys in a RFID blocking bag and used the cell phone only to open the doors and drive. Now might nightly loss is 1-3 miles.

This thread reminds me of why I am NEVER so anxious to get the latest and greatest minor update. My car wants to install this version, but I came here first to see what people might be saying. sooooo, "If it ain't broke....".
I'll wait for a different future update :) I hope you folks have luck getting it fixed.
How do you postpone an update, other than by daily changing the planned update time?

Except that blocks subsequent updates that likely fix the problem. I am on 2020.28.5, had it for about a week.
Hmmm, Hasn't happened to me. I have ignored several updates in the past. A few weeks pass and I get another update request for a newer firmware. If I like it based on comments (or issues) I see here, then I install it. Otherwise I ignore that one too.

I thought I'd share a solution that finally worked on my 2019 X Raven Long Range issue of excessive drain and car not sleeping.
Like many other X owners, my issue started in early June after the update, the car has been loosing 3%+ per day and has stopped sleeping. The rear view camera stays very warm even with Sentry mode off. Update received last Friday (2020.28.6) did not fix the issue.
I have tried all the solutions I read in different threads, from disabling cabin protection, disabling summon standby mode, to the 2 buttons reboot, 4 button reboot and finally doing power off wait for 5 minutes before pressing the brake to reawaken the car.
None of the the suggested steps worked, until I finally decided to completely disconnect power to the car
These are the steps I did to solve the issue with my X, I cannot guarantee they would work on others:
1.Took apart the frunk to access the 12V battery
2. Removed battery negative terminal
3. Disconnected FRL (First Responder Loop)
4. Waited 5 minutes
5. Reconnect FRL (be sure to do this before step 6; otherwise, the car will show "Unable to Charge" error and the car will stop working
6. Reconnect negative terminal
7. Re-calibrate FWD

TeslaMate showed "Updating" for 4.5 hours after I finished above steps before the car fell asleep and it stayed asleep until I opened Tesla app then fell asleep again within 5 minutes after I closed the app.

• Informative
Reactions: ericj5
I've read most of these posts and thank you all for your great suggestions as I'm having the same battery draining challenge. I tried something different today and it's works so far. Try turning OFF the "cabin overheat protection" toggle. I did that this morning and my MX has fallen asleep, after a short period of time, each time I've parked it today.

I've read most of these posts and thank you all for your great suggestions as I'm having the same battery draining challenge. I tried something different today and it's works so far. Try turning OFF the "cabin overheat protection" toggle. I did that this morning and my MX has fallen asleep, after a short period of time, each time I've parked it today.
Thanks for sharing that Lance. I believe that trick has worked for quite some people and its good to have another confirmation that it does work in many cases.

Sorry folks that I didn't notice this was an X specific thread before posting. But when @Bigriver pointed that out it just motivated me further to continue digging in.

I feel pretty silly, but my particular issue stemmed from a new 3rd party service I decided to try months ago and then forgot about. This is out of character for me because I knew it required my Tesla credentials. The service was OptiWatt, and the moment I signed out of that service my 3 started sleeping again.

I hope the update has cleared everything up for you X owners.

Cheers!

Creator of Optiwatt here,

Sorry to hear that you had issues with the app. We did fix that so the app will allow your Tesla to sleep.
If you have any further issues you can email me at [email protected]