Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery discharging at a very fast rate while parked.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Since the latest software upgrade (2021.32.21) my battery is discharging at an alarming rate when the car is parked.
I left it last evening at 9 pm, today at 12.30 am battery dropped from 46 to 42%, previously I left it for about 20ish hours and it lost 7-8%

Is anyone experiencing anything similar? I am using the car for 1.5 years and it was never loosing range this fast while parked/sleeping

Started noticing it after the software update but I cant be sure if it started after the software update or before.
So far I have rebooted the car, charged it... and is still the same. Sentry mode on my driveway is disabled.

Was just chatting with tesla service who claimed that it's ok for the car to lose 1mile per hour and losing 4% in 15h is about ok. He actually said that it's specified in the manual, I found only 1% per day not 1mile per hour - 1% per 24h is far less than 1mile per hour.

Any ideas?

There's a whole thread on battery loss:

Somewhere in that thread there is post from me where Tesla ranger gave me the same answer - its not true., it's just something the service people say.

Check for tips there and if you think it is just because of the update, well there's a thread for that too:

Reactions: M3noob and piotroek
The car will use 200-300wh per hour when it is parked and awake (which is about 1 mile). unless you leave the heating on it cant really use more than that since Energy has to go somewhere. So based on your numbers it sounds like the car is not sleeping. So unless you are using sentry mode when this level of drain is normal because it keeps the car awake then you have to figure out why it is not sleeping and fix it. Might be something you can fix might not. I would start with a reboot. make sure sentry is off then you will have to hit the threads if that does not fix it
One extra tip though. If you have ever connected anything to your tesla account, is always to change your password to make 100% sure it is not api calls from some 3rd party service causing the problem

Reactions: piotroek and Thp3
I'll change password to stop API calls just in case. Tbh my app is so slow waking car up so it must be sleeping.

For the other advice: yes I have rebooted, sentry is disabled, heating if off.

I may connect again my raspebry pi to see if car is sleeping or not.

Just connected my tesla mate and since teslamate picked car up - keeps reporting state as "Updating" where in reality its not updating, app is not reporting any updates.
1633715173045.png

Reactions: D1939
You can go into service mode and request the software yourself. on the software page, long press on 'Model 3' brings up a dialog box, type 'service'. I advise not to change anything in there but just request a re-download of the current software. You won't be able to see the car in the app whilst in service mode so cancel it when you've requested the software.