Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery doesn't charge to 100% and low charging speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello to everyone, I'm been reading you guys since a bit but i decided to register now because i need to share my situation and maybe get some more info or suggestions from you!

I'm an owner of a Model S P85 since september 2017 (I bought it secondhands direcltly from Tesla), when i bought the car had on it 78.000 km/48.000 miles, the car have 118.000km/73.000miles now.

In september 2019 I was doing a road trip and I discovered that I'm not able to charge the battery untill 100% anymore, the chargs stops sometimes at 96%, 97%, 99% but never 100%, doesn't matter which charging metods i use.
And the charging speed is reducing day by day!
I noticed also, and i test it, that the battery doesn't get warm even if i preheat the car by leaving the aircondicion runing for 7 hours... is that normal?

I had another appoint at service center yesterday (I been already 4 times for this problem)
I been at the supercharger with the thecnician of Tesla yesterday, the battery was at 3% state of charge and we were charging at 32Kw (warm battery)... and the charging speed was stable at 32kw!

Today they send me the results of the inspection and they said "Vehicle has got an restriction on supercharging speed to protect the high voltage
battery because the vehicle has been supercharged a lot. This issue is not covered by warranty."

What I have to do???
They want to preserve the battery becouse if the battery gets damaged they have to change it and are they doing that on my expense?!
I mean this is a big issue, they shuld say to me how many times I can use the supercharges before they have to reduce the charging speed... I also don't know how many times the previus owner supercharged...

I get really mad about this! Doesn't make any sense to me!

Please help me guys becouse I really don't know what to do more!

Thank you in advace!

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
Not alone, many cars SuC slower, and will not go past 98%.

Kinda pointless to go that high, you loose all Regen and the fans will be screaming.

Search Chargegate on this forum for more info. Your SuC seems exceptionally low.

Get Teslafi or a canbus reader to keep records of what your batt and BMS is doing. SMT will show total charges and discharges. My guess is you will be getting a replacement battery well within the warranty.

• Informative
... I also don't know how many times the previus owner supercharged...

That's the problem right there! Tesla would restrict the charging speed due to the overuse of Fast DC Charging including Tesla Supercharger brand. It's possible that the previous owner used Fast DC Charging a lot.

Sorry that I can't help you but thanks for bringing this particular issue of used Tesla.

I had the issue of my battery not charging to 100%. As per service center's advice, drain the battery to as low as you can, and then slow charge using LEVEL1 (normal wall outlet) all the way to full. its going to take 2-3 days to full charge on lvl1. It fixed my issue. good luck

That's the problem right there! Tesla would restrict the charging speed due to the overuse of Fast DC Charging including Tesla Supercharger brand. It's possible that the previous owner used Fast DC Charging a lot.

Sorry that I can't help you but thanks for bringing this particular issue of used Tesla.
That brings up an interesting question, would tesla be willing to disclose how many kWh the vehicle has charged off DC charging?

• Helpful
Not alone, many cars SuC slower, and will not go past 98%.

Kinda pointless to go that high, you loose all Regen and the fans will be screaming.

Search Chargegate on this forum for more info. Your SuC seems exceptionally low.

Get Teslafi or a canbus reader to keep records of what your batt and BMS is doing. SMT will show total charges and discharges. My guess is you will be getting a replacement battery well within the warranty.
hmmm....I think that is why my new car with free supercharging is capped at 98%.......and charging is slow at the Irvine supercharger....I guess 98% is not too bad then if it protects the battery

Hello to everyone, I'm been reading you guys since a bit but i decided to register now because i need to share my situation and maybe get some more info or suggestions from you!

I'm an owner of a Model S P85 since september 2017 (I bought it secondhands direcltly from Tesla), when i bought the car had on it 78.000 km/48.000 miles, the car have 118.000km/73.000miles now.

In september 2019 I was doing a road trip and I discovered that I'm not able to charge the battery untill 100% anymore, the chargs stops sometimes at 96%, 97%, 99% but never 100%, doesn't matter which charging metods i use.
And the charging speed is reducing day by day!
I noticed also, and i test it, that the battery doesn't get warm even if i preheat the car by leaving the aircondicion runing for 7 hours... is that normal?

I had another appoint at service center yesterday (I been already 4 times for this problem)
I been at the supercharger with the thecnician of Tesla yesterday, the battery was at 3% state of charge and we were charging at 32Kw (warm battery)... and the charging speed was stable at 32kw!

Today they send me the results of the inspection and they said "Vehicle has got an restriction on supercharging speed to protect the high voltage
battery because the vehicle has been supercharged a lot. This issue is not covered by warranty."

What I have to do???
They want to preserve the battery becouse if the battery gets damaged they have to change it and are they doing that on my expense?!
I mean this is a big issue, they shuld say to me how many times I can use the supercharges before they have to reduce the charging speed... I also don't know how many times the previus owner supercharged...

I get really mad about this! Doesn't make any sense to me!

Please help me guys becouse I really don't know what to do more!

Thank you in advace!
My 9-17 MS75 build has not charged to 100% for about a year. It charges to about 98% and only about 225 mile range when the car was originally rated @ 249... like others have stated its normal!:eek: BTW car only has 22k and rarely SC

Last edited:
really.......will that work on a new 2020 car

Could help on any car.

Aiming to do 2 things. First, bring all cells to full charge and balanced at a slow rate to ensure good balancing. (Some evidence suggests this may not be needed if the BMS is doing its job, but certainly no harm). Secondly, measuring exactly how much energy the battery absorbs, especially during what could be an extended balancing / topping up phase bringing all cells up to maximum.

This is more of a calibration procedure and not a fix for anything.

Last edited:
they said "Vehicle has got an restriction on supercharging speed to protect the high voltage

Tesla's warranty document is already fragile and arguably worthless if you bother reading all the exclusions. It is absolutely ridiculous that Tesla can sell a used / 'CPO' vehicle with a 4 year wty that in fact actually offers no warranty on the highest value component - the battery.

Effectively they are selling the battery as being capable of meeting certain levels of performance, without any statement of current state of degradation especially with regards to prior use of Tesla's own charging system. It's almost as though there should be a disclaimer like: "Using this integral and manufacturer-provided charging system may cause earlier / faster degredation of your car's performance that is not covered under warranty neither will you necessarily be able to determine in advance if such degredation has occurred to a particular vehicle. Battery status will be determined by Tesla at their sole discretion."

Last edited:
My $.015 worth - yes, I’m capped at 98% and “lost” 7miles of range due to batterygate.
While I’m not happy about it just like everyone else, it’s due to being more cautious from a safety perspective so I’m learning to be ok with it. We were all used to full charge, etc. and now something’s been taken away. I get it. However, if I look at the other brands/cars (iPace, eTron, Taycan, etc.) they cap/reserve some percentage of the battery to begin with hence some of the bad press about lower range (on top of their inefficient packs).
The biggest pain point for me is the marked neutering of the SuC rates as that has a direct impact on my travel times vs 98% cap/loss of 7mi rated range. Again, not saying I agree with what Tesla did, but would be happy with getting SuC rates back to the old days and live with the other stuff.

Reactions: aerodyne
it’s due to being more cautious from a safety perspective
It's not safety though. It's illegal for them to limit you due to safety without telling you in writing and reporting it to the NHTSA for a recall evaluation. You're limited but not for safety, or if it is for safety you want them to conform to the law (which disallows limiting performance for safety, you'd get a properly functioning battery)