Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain after 2022.24.8 Software update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you park and the SOC inreases it is most probably/most certain coming from a adjustment on the SOC after the car has been sleeping a while. The correct SOC can only be measured during sleep, after a while.
The SOC is determined by the cell voltage.

During a drive the car use the last known SOC and reduce it by subtracting the used energy to estimate the SOC. I
n some cases, like having an underestimate on the battery capacity, the on screen SOC os to low because of the maths from the underestimate.
When parking the car goes to sleep (contactors opens and the battery rests, showing the open circuit voltage, OCV). The cell voltage shows a higher SOC than the estimated and the car update the SOC.
I have seen this often as my BMS is a bit off at the moment.

Loosing SOC after a drive is possibly the same issue.
I see in teslafi that the average range for for all cars has increased about three percent from a very stable level an I feel a bit sceptic that the real range is at that level in average. My guess is that tesla changed the software to estimate higher capacity/range for *some* reason and that the capacity might be overestimated.

This could make some cars loose one or a few perfent after a drive, but only the first hours after the drive and only if it was a longer drive (short drives do not cause a noticeable difference of the estimated and real SOC.

Seems like most cars here continue to loose range, like the car wasn’t sleeping.

I parked (2022.24.6) with 26.00% tursday evening one week ago for two days (44hrs) and took the car with 25.67% on thursday evening.

Also parked with 80% on friday evening until sunday and had 79.63% on sunday.
(Never usually leaves the car at high SOC, but it was outside with very low ambient temps and cell temp between 8.5 and 4C during this time). Felt crazy to leave it at 80% but I survived :oops:
The range loss after a short drive only happened after 2022.24.8 if it is a recalculation why are only a few cars affected?

The range loss after a short drive only happened after 2022.24.8 if it is a recalculation why are only a few cars affected?
I wouldnt say range loss is from ”recalculation ” and overestimate.
I say that it is a possibility in som cases.

If it was due to recalculation in general, it shouldnt be after short drives.
If it happened to only a few cars, it could be due to that only a few cars had a range/capacity overestimate.

Most probable cause would be the car not sleeping and burning off energy ( ~ 200W).

Reactions: Bouba
With sentry on, the car is awake and then draw about 200W or so (0.2kWh/hour).
Normally you should loose about 2% or so in 8hrs.

200W = about 6% for a day/24hrs on a Long range or P model 3/Y
Agreed but this morning I was very surprised. It was parked on the road not mainly occupied (as our road is currently under renovation) and roughly 6c outside. I was expecting loosing around 4-5%.

But I'm not complaining!

Interesting ! Keep us in the loop👍
After I got home on Friday and I forgot to manually shut off sentry mode and I came back to it an hour later and it recorded my garage while i was parked. I am positive because I was looking for an expedition that had the door hanging halfway off of it and I wanted to watch it and I came back to watching my other car sitting in the garage. I had to move my Y out of the garage saturday morning to take out the other car and when I came back eight hours later it lost 3 percent and sentry mode was on. I didn't check if it recorded anything. I turned off sentry mode in the app. Haven't lost any juice since.

A bit boring I know but before I didn't even see a recording. I double and triple checked the home setting and it kept my address.

Reactions: Bouba
I've noticed the battery drain as well after the 24.8 update. Prior to the update I'd have my car parked at work for about 9 hours, have sentry mode on, and it would lose maybe 2-3% in that span. Since updating, I've noticed the battery drop 2-3% after only about 3 hours. So I definitely seem to have the same issue as others.

Last edited:
Hello. I have a new Tesla Model 3 long range. I just got it in August. So far I've had no problems. However, after the last software update to version 2022.24.8, I noticed that the battery drain when it is parked in the garage seems to be a lot. For instance, before the update, I could go to work and park in the hot Florida sun for 10+ hours and not lose any percent of my battery. I don't use Sentry Mode or Cabin Overheat protection. However, after the new update, I am losing 2-3% in a couple of hours while it is parked in the garage. It also seems like there is a humming sound from the front. It doesn't seem like a fan, but I don't know. I've only had the car a month. I never had a problem with battery drain until now. Has anybody else noticed this? Thanks.
Hey I’m moving to south Florida next spring. Do you notice your Tesla battery draining quicker when you’re using the AC while driving? Would you say it you’re losing more battery when you’re running the AC? I’m trying to understand how miles / hours do you actually Get living in Florida while having the AC always running

Hey I’m moving to south Florida next spring. Do you notice your Tesla battery draining quicker when you’re using the AC while driving? Would you say it you’re losing more battery when you’re running the AC? I’m trying to understand how miles / hours do you actually Get living in Florida while having the AC always running
I’ve only had my Tesla since August and run the AC all the time when driving. It’s a must. I mostly use it for local driving so range has never been an issue. I drove from Jacksonville to Naples last week and only stopped once to charge for few minutes. If you haven’t already, you will want to get premium tiny on the windows with high UV blocking capability.

I’ve only had my Tesla since August and run the AC all the time when driving. It’s a must. I mostly use it for local driving so range has never been an issue. I drove from Jacksonville to Naples last week and only stopped once to charge for few minutes. If you haven’t already, you will want to get premium tiny on the windows with high UV blocking capability.
Oh I’m getting the entire car tinted. Thank you for that. That was super helpful

In the South of France we also use the air conditioner a lot...it does draw a lot of power ...but anything is worth being able to control the air con remotely...stepping into a cold car on the hottest of days frees you from the tyranny of heat

Hello. I have a new Tesla Model 3 long range. I just got it in August. So far I've had no problems. However, after the last software update to version 2022.24.8, I noticed that the battery drain when it is parked in the garage seems to be a lot. For instance, before the update, I could go to work and park in the hot Florida sun for 10+ hours and not lose any percent of my battery. I don't use Sentry Mode or Cabin Overheat protection. However, after the new update, I am losing 2-3% in a couple of hours while it is parked in the garage. It also seems like there is a humming sound from the front. It doesn't seem like a fan, but I don't know. I've only had the car a month. I never had a problem with battery drain until now. Has anybody else noticed this? Thanks.
I'm seeing the same thing after the last update. I even see it on my commute and it's added 2-3% more drain one way and it's been cooler outside so I'm not running the AC as hard. It's not a lot, but I notice it.

Reactions: Michael_79
Update

I didn’t think to check the settings for locations. I decided to after 2022.28.2 was installed. I found home was not checked. I guess the previous update remove the preferences.

Always double and triple check.

Feeling a little dumb but maybe this will help the next guy with troubleshooting.