TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Battery Drain from Heater

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Ojas Ray, Mar 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ojas Ray

Ojas Ray Member

So, living in NJ - it has been cold! I have range mode ON - and I drive a 90D.

Question: How much effect does the fan speed & temperature (75,78,80) actually have on the battery? Does the amount of kw usage remain same for temp set to 75 or 80?

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

It does have an effect. I suggest auto at a reasonable level. 80 heat will use more energy than 75! You are not spending your winters in the tropics ! o_O

3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

is it necessary to heat the whole cabin for you to be warm?
    IMHO you would be wise to lower or turn off the heater and use the seat heaters to be warmed.

4. Xenius

Xenius Member

I'm over in the Philly area, so same general climate I'm sure. I've certainly found that my wh/mile numers have been horrid during the winters, exacerbated by the fact that my commute is fairly short, and non highway. I've started trying to keep range mode ON instead of OFF. I think I've read the battery draws about 6kw of current for heating with range mode off. Make use of scheduled charging and start it an hour or two before you'd be leaving (assuming your battery can take that much charge) and you'll be warmed and ready to go when you leave.

As far as cabin temp, if you're looking to conserve energy, blast that seat warmer and turn your steering wheel warmer on if you have it. It's way cheaper to heat yourself with the seat than the whole cabin with the electric heater.

• Informative x 1
  5. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

With "Range Mode" [ON], the cabin may not heat (or cool) to the temp you set (depends on many factors, i.e. OAT, SOC, etc.)
    If you're curious, you can use the mobile app to see what the real interior temp is, but honestly, I would go by what makes you feel comfortable, rather than focusing on set temp vs actual temp.

That said, yes, extreme set temps (relative to OAT & airflow around vehicle) will put quite a load on the battery. "Range Mode" set to [ON] is suppose to help reduce that effect. YMMV ;-)

• Informative x 1
  6. Haxster

Haxster Member

#6 Haxster, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    The fan speed is probably a (distant) secondary effect on the amount of energy that it takes to get to a set temperature...just how long it takes to get there.

As far as temperature setting vs energy consumption goes, it's not unlike heating a poorly insulated home in cold weather.

On the other hand, it's my understanding that excessive heat from the drive motor and electronics can be transferred back into the cabin. So, if you drive aggressively in cool weather, don't feel guilty about cranking up the thermostat.

Here's a link that may be of interest: Energy Consumption Of Various Tesla Heating Features

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

Hi @Haxster , I've seen those patent diagrams showing what you're referring to, but there have been a couple TMC members here who have hacked access to the service screens (showing heat transfer/valving/etc), and verified that those particular diagrams weren't implemented. From what they showed, we don't recoup any waste heat from the battery/motor(s) back into the cabin, unfortunately. I'm at work and can't search for it now, but if you do a search in the forums, there were some heated (pun intended, lol) discussions about it.

8. Haxster

Haxster Member

Well, yes, I did get my "understanding" from that patent. Thanks for the correction. It did seem like a good (if not necessarily practical) idea.

However... the kids in the rear-most seats may get a little extra tush-warming heat radiating up into the cabin from the rear motor ;)

• Like x 1