Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain in 3 hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Its my 4th day owning a Tesla Model 3 SR, I charged it to 80% (around 192 miles) and parked the car in the open from 12PM to 3PM. When I came in at 3PM I noticed it was at 180 miles. Is this normal for a hot day (at 90F)? Is there a way to tell if it's from cabin overheat protection? Should I reach out to tesla service?
Next time around I will keep an eye on the battery percentage instead of the miles (to get a more accurate estimate)

-Vikas

First suggestion. Don't worry about asking a question about batter capacity for a month.
Second comment. Did you look at your gas gauge that closely? Why look at the battery gauge that much.

Next suggestion: Take a trip to somewhere like Sacramento this weekend. A round trip that takes you to the extreme of your range (but has plenty of options along the route). Charge to 100% before leaving, let the nav take you there and then let it bring you home. It will probably get you to charge on the way home, but do the math and stretch it out, slow it down and see if you can make it home without charging.

You've got range anxiety, gotta get over it.

Hi,

Its my 4th day owning a Tesla Model 3 SR, I charged it to 80% (around 192 miles) and parked the car in the open from 12PM to 3PM. When I came in at 3PM I noticed it was at 180 miles. Is this normal for a hot day (at 90F)? Is there a way to tell if it's from cabin overheat protection? Should I reach out to tesla service?
Next time around I will keep an eye on the battery percentage instead of the miles (to get a more accurate estimate)

-Vikas
I left my car this morning at 9 am with 130+ miles and got back 4 pm to 0!!! The heater was on full blast and the defrosters were all on and I couldn't turn any of them off. The car wouldn't take a charge. Once I powered off and on, I was able to turn off the heating and defrosting but I'm stuck at work until I can get enough miles to go to a super charger. Is there a feature that would alert you if you're battery is below say 30 when you're not driving? That would have been helpful since I could have plugged my car in while I was working.

I left my car this morning at 9 am with 130+ miles and got back 4 pm to 0!!! The heater was on full blast and the defrosters were all on and I couldn't turn any of them off. The car wouldn't take a charge. Once I powered off and on, I was able to turn off the heating and defrosting but I'm stuck at work until I can get enough miles to go to a super charger. Is there a feature that would alert you if you're battery is below say 30 when you're not driving? That would have been helpful since I could have plugged my car in while I was working.

I run Stats for iOS and it warns me if I left a door open, left the trunk or frunk open, or left climate control on when not in the car. It also locks the car if I forget to and turns on Sentry mode automatically. The only downside to it is that it frequently polls the vehicle, which contributes to vampire drain. But for me it’s a trade off because the Tesla app doesn’t warn me about nearly as many things as Stats does, and I can never remember to turn on Sentry mode every time I park the car.