Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain overnight while plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it's normal. Essentially, parts of the car are always on (like a mobile phone) and will typically cause 5-6 miles of range to be lost overnight. This is known as "vampire drain." You can reduce the drain to a minimum (around 2-3 miles) by unchecking the "Always Connected" box in settings, and enabling Energy Saving mode.

That doesn't cause measurable battery use. If it's getting colder, though, that could be another reason why rated miles appear lower.
If frequent network activity is keeping the car awake much of the night, I'm fairly sure that'll create a measurable difference. Owners who've used third-party software which polls the car continuously to gather data have mentioned noticing extra drain as a result.

But I agree that cold weather (causing the BMS to use more energy keeping the battery warm) is a likely suspect. Was the night in question colder than usual?

If frequent network activity is keeping the car awake much of the night, I'm fairly sure that'll create a measurable difference. Owners who've used third-party software which polls the car continuously to gather data have mentioned noticing extra drain as a result.

But I agree that cold weather (causing the BMS to use more energy keeping the battery warm) is a likely suspect. Was the night in question colder than usual?

Yes tempatures have been dropping here in the Mid-atlantic in the last few days. Car is garage kept so not as cold in garage as outside

Have your charge start so that it ends shortly before your departure time. The battery will be warm and you will be at 80%.
Thanks for road trips I am taking fro Thanksgiving, and New years will definitely get it warm and fully charged right before leaving. Not a issue at all on my daily commute I think I have only been below 100 mies of range once. It was more curiosity then a worry about range.