Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain Overnight.

init6

Oct 16, 2020
Scotland
This is roughly the norm for my car also.
Like this it uses about 1% or a bit less per day of battery, when averaged over a 2 week period of doing nothing.
I'd settle for that. What I don't like is when it starts cycling between asleep and online, 6 hours at a time. I lose about 3-4% per day when it does that.

Blokie

2021 M3LR
Nov 7, 2020
UK
I'd settle for that. What I don't like is when it starts cycling between asleep and online, 6 hours at a time. I lose about 3-4% per day when it does that.

100% agree. Not an issue right now, but in the future I would be fully intending on leaving the car at the airport for 2+ weeks whilst on holiday, and if the drain is 4% per day then potentially it could lose 60% charge whilst sat there! Would mean needing to charge to aalmost full just before parking and again when getting back before being able to drive any distance, assuming decent chargers close to the car parks!

That scenario is completely rediculous.

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
That scenario is completely rediculous.

Indeed it would be. Fortunately that has never happened AFAIK. I am noticing greater losses overnight too since the last software update but I would be very surprised if this isn't back to where it was after the next one. Looks like the new 2021 is rolling out now ...

GRiLLA

Jul 5, 2020
UK
leaving the car at the airport for 2+ weeks whilst on holiday

Plus the next 2 weeks sealed in an airport travelodge room for £1750.

I left mine for 6 days at the airport back in November 2019, sentry off, no wifi, no checking. I changed my password to stop any apps other than TeslaFi (because I trust it). They sleep better away from Wifi and with apps off. It woke 4 times. I don't see any different in how my car sleeps now, and I expect I'll get the same effect. It's certainly behaving the same sat on my drive.

upload_2021-2-11_12-11-50.png

Blokie

2021 M3LR
Nov 7, 2020
UK
I think my "falling asleep" for several hours at a time is related to my wifi in some way. I was at my Mother-in-Law's for the weekend (support bubble duties), and the car slept like a baby for the entire time I was there, and then low and behold today (as of right now) it's been falling asleep for over 3,5 hours. I've just checked my router and I can see constant small amounts of Tx and Rx traffic on the Tesla for almost the exact same length of time....

Last2Days.JPG

Router.png

26ct2143

Nov 22, 2020
Burton-on-Trent, UK
Maybe your wifi router or something on your network polls it, keeping it awake somehow.
If you discover what it is, I'm sure we all would be interested.
Have you a different router you could test?
The router doesn't do a ping to keep alive on the wifi, or something like?

init6

Oct 16, 2020
Scotland
Mine has slept most of the last few days with only a few of 6 hour online slots. A couple of 5 minute onlines too. I tried with wifi switched off at one point an it made no difference. YMMV of course.

Screenshot 2021-02-15 at 19.03.23.png

Blokie

2021 M3LR
Nov 7, 2020
UK
Looking like that wifi theory was incorrect :-( I removed the wifi account from the car at about 17:45 yesterday, and car stayed online until I drove it (Tesco click and collect!), and then for an hour afterwards before going to sleep. I thought, Ok, it's now settled down and sleeping, so sorted, but then I get up this morning and whilst it slept for 11 hours, it woke up at 07:13 this morning and has been back in ""falling asleep" state for 2hrs 31 mins so far. It still seems very strange that it was not happening at the MIL's, so maybe whatever it is doing is now happening using the onboard SIM as opposed to wifi, What it is/could be doing is another matter entirely!

Last2Days.JPG

rotor2k

Sep 16, 2019
London
upload_2021-2-16_10-31-17.png

Mine has started sleeping longer than ~11h since the beginning of Feb. I was having issues with the games, so I did a brake pedal reboot, and I wonder if that changed the behaviour (I don't remember when I did this, but probably a couple of weeks ago)? It now regularly sleeps for almost 24h -- not consistently, but fairly regularly. I've been on 2020.48.35.5 since 22-Jan, so you can see that update didn't change the behaviour. It sits on my driveway in range of the wifi, nothing has changed there. And it's certainly not cold related because we've had the coldest days in London in several years.

Blokie

2021 M3LR
Nov 7, 2020
UK
I've ruled out temperature too, reboots have been done and I think Blokie did a full reset. How long does your's stay awake for?

Yup - I did the full "shutdown" from the GUI (having tried the buttons and brake pedal option previously to no avail). Current ysat at falling asleep for 4h 41 min :-(

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
Yup - I did the full "shutdown" from the GUI (having tried the buttons and brake pedal option previously to no avail). Current ysat at falling asleep for 4h 41 min :-(

Have you had a software update since first noting these issues? If not I would put money on them being resolved when the car is next updated... (mind you, no more than 10p)!

Blokie

2021 M3LR
Nov 7, 2020
UK
Have you had a software update since first noting these issues? If not I would put money on them being resolved when the car is next updated... (mind you, no more than 10p)!

Nope (I'm on 2020.48.35.5). I also thought it might be worth just raising a service request to see if they could remotely see what the traffic is, but looks like you can't have more than one service request open at any one time and I'm booked in to the SC on 10th March for some warranty work!

Adopado

Aug 19, 2019
Scotland
Nope (I'm on 2020.48.35.5). I also thought it might be worth just raising a service request to see if they could remotely see what the traffic is, but looks like you can't have more than one service request open at any one time and I'm booked in to the SC on 10th March for some warranty work!

Interesting to see what happens when you go to 2021.xxx

Yachtsman

Sep 5, 2020
Staffordshire
I don't understand why there's such a wide difference between the sleeping patterns of our cars. I'm on 2021.35.5 software installed the 22nd January & perminantly connected to wifi. This is the sleeping patern for the past four days. The first includes a night time charge and the wake up on Monday was me giving her a good wash.
Screenshot_20210216-125926_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210216-130100_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210216-130100_Chrome.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20210216-130020_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210216-130020_Chrome.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20210216-125955_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210216-125955_Chrome.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 3

Kenners

Sep 29, 2019
London
Mine continues to sleep, having been losing around 4% a day following the Xmas fire update. The improvement came without any formal software change. I get the impression they do push out software tweaks outside of the official firmware releases, based on the data downloaded and changes like this that just appear. There is no way the car fixed itself, they must have done something to resolve the problem. Would be nice of them to tell, rather than pretend there was nothing wrong in the first place and its really the idiot user that is the problem!

Reactions: navguy12

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC