Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain Overnight.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect the new SIM card will solve all your LTE issues.
I can’t tell if you are being sarcastic. On the one hand I truly want to believe that it will, on the other hand this problem appeared the moment I stopped using TeslaFi (aka keeping the car awake) after my MCU upgrade. So I am at least a little suspicious.

@jun3280net: according to TeslaMate, my car has gone 177x asleep for a total of 10 hours since last may. I cannot locate those instances on the timeline and I don’t have to courage to play around with Grafana to find out more right now. I suspect that these « asleep » instances are just false-positives from the TeslaFi->TeslaMate data import; if I limit the time range to when I was collecting data with TeslaMate (a little more than a month), the number of « asleep » drops… well none, zero, zilch.

I’ll see if 2021.40 fixed my « car offline when going in » (I suspect it will) and will open a new service ticket if that’s the case. What could come out of this is that the new SIM card replaces all the « offline » instances by « online » and that we end up with the exact same problem ;)

EDIT: I actually was too curious and quickly searched for these instances. They are all 4 minutes long and happen right after an "offline" phase. (blue = online, orange = offline, green = asleep). Keep in mind that this data was collected by TeslaFi and imported into TeslaMate; so I'm not sure how well it can be trusted.

1638381963636.png

Last edited:
Reactions: navguy12
I can’t tell if you are being sarcastic. On the one hand I truly want to believe that it will, on the other hand this problem appeared the moment I stopped using TeslaFi (aka keeping the car awake) after my MCU upgrade. So I am at least a little suspicious.

@jun3280net: according to TeslaMate, my car has gone 177x asleep for a total of 10 hours since last may. I cannot locate those instances on the timeline and I don’t have to courage to play around with Grafana to find out more right now. I suspect that these « asleep » instances are just false-positives from the TeslaFi->TeslaMate data import; if I limit the time range to when I was collecting data with TeslaMate (a little more than a month), the number of « asleep » drops… well none, zero, zilch.

I’ll see if 2021.40 fixed my « car offline when going in » (I suspect it will) and will open a new service ticket if that’s the case. What could come out of this is that the new SIM card replaces all the « offline » instances by « online » and that we end up with the exact same problem ;)

EDIT: I actually was too curious and quickly searched for these instances. They are all 4 minutes long and happen right after an "offline" phase. (blue = online, orange = offline, green = asleep). Keep in mind that this data was collected by TeslaFi and imported into TeslaMate; so I'm not sure how well it can be trusted.

View attachment 739435
Not being sarcastic regarding LTE connectivity issues and how a new SIM card will solve those problems.

I went thru all sorts of “subtle“ LTE issues for the first few years of ownership, and then major “PITA” LTE issues once I had the upgrade from hardware V2.5 to V3.0.

Some background context:

Post in thread 'Where is the LTE sim card located in a May 2018 build TM3?'
Where is the LTE sim card located in a May 2018 build TM3?

So, IMO, your LTE issues won’t be solved until the particular LTE line replaceable unit is swapped out.

View attachment 739435
hi @fetzu, if you're familiar with SQL, you can install PGADMIN and query your database tables directly directly. Timeline is a different view than States. If you query the States table directly, you can see how Teslamate is capturing the states and durations of your vehicle. For context, this is what my last 100+ states look like. The Pink section was when the vehicle was in the shop for MCU2 upgrade. However, on MCU1, it was sleeping for hours each day. Since, MCU2, it is interesting to note that the vehicle is actually registering as OFFLINE for a few minutes every day (so short it doesn't show up in the graphs). It's crazy to me how the vehicle has stayed on for such long stretches at a time.

1638386331173.png
1638386546802.png

Yeah that's a good point, keep the battery to % and Tesla says it will lose 1% per day (assuming it doesn't wake, else more)
I ran some tests on my M3 long range over the last few weeks and rarely found more than 1% lost overnight. Even on a couple of sub-zero nights it was 2% at most.

You don’t have Sentry switched on when parked at home do you? If that’s being triggered somehow in the night that might explain it..?

I ran some tests on my M3 long range over the last few weeks and rarely found more than 1% lost overnight. Even on a couple of sub-zero nights it was 2% at most.

You don’t have Sentry switched on when parked at home do you? If that’s being triggered somehow in the night that might explain it..?
Thanks for the data point. Sentry is off when at home. My issues are likely related to the MCU2 installation. I've tried turning off all of the usual culprits like Sentry, Summons, and Cabin Protection. When you say overnight, is it 1% over 8 hours? Cheers.
My S goes into the shop tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the data point. Sentry is off when at home. My issues are likely related to the MCU2 installation. I've tried turning off all of the usual culprits like Sentry, Summons, and Cabin Protection. When you say overnight, is it 1% over 8 hours? Cheers.
My S goes into the shop tomorrow morning.
Yep, I’ve been taking a reading when going to bed about 10/11ish and then when up with the kids around 6am. Most I’ve ever see over a 3 week period was a 3% drop and had several with no difference at all. Average was -1%.

Hi @fetzu & @markgyork ... my car was in the shop for 4 business days (and over the weekend). I can't confirm whether they did work on the vehicle over the weekend. On that note, my car has come back, and is now sleeping according to Teslamate (I shut off Teslamate while the car was in the shop). It has slept for the first time since I got the MCU2 upgrade. Over 10 hours of sleep the car has only lost 1.2km of range. This is more in line with what I had observed previously. I had the dashcam turned off and I shut off the HVAC before leaving the car in the garage last night (which I had done previously as well). I'll try some some other configurations as well.

On that note - Tesla said it was my USB hub causing the problem. This is strange, as I had EVERYTHING unplugged and turned off for 1-2 weeks as I tried to get the car to sleep after the MCU2 was upgraded.

In the message they noted the following : reset the ECU and performed a firmware update. Let the vehicle sit for 3 hours, for 2 different sets to confirm vehicle was sleeping via pulling logs.

Given the amount of time the vehicle was there, I have to think it was more involved than what was noted above. Troubleshooting the USB hub, I would have imagined should have been something they could identify in a few hours (not 4 days) in my mind. I've asked for more specific testing/repairs they might have done and will post if they respond.

Data for future reference. 1.2km over 10 hours in -2.5C temperature.

1638980292501.png

Reactions: fetzu and init6
What was the make of USB hub that was supposed to be causing the issue?
It was a Sabrent Hub I bought from Amazon. That said, I just completed some additional tests - and the car is sleeping properly (Cam Off, Cam On, using the USB Hub). Tesla unfortunately, refused to provide details on what they did and simply pointed to the HUB being the problem. This is despite my original notes to them indicating I had unplugged and shut off everything in my tests. As the car was there at the shop for 6 days, its highly probable they reinstalled the MCU2. They ran into difficulties with the original installation as that took them over 2 days (when they told it me it would take a couple hours). Despite their flimsy explanation, I'm happy and appreciative the Tesla service team spent the time to troubleshoot the problem.

I definitely recommend people install Teslamate. Its a great way to keep an eye on the behavior/performance of your vehicle. Had I not used Teslamate, I probably wouldn't have noticed the vehicle not sleeping.

Good luck to others who are experiencing sleeping problems. Hopefully some of my notes / data points will be useful.

1639006016820.png

1639006418492.png

@jun3280net I cannot see how that Amazon Sabrent Hub could be the cause of this - I have used exactly the same since May 2020 and see only nightly 1% battery loss throughout most of the year, sometimes nothing and max 2% on a very cold night (I don't use any third party monitoring software by the way, just the Tesla app)

Hi @Adopado @Drew57 thanks for confirming. Yah, it's unfortunate they don't want to be transparent about the diagnosis/repairs. I suspect doing so might point to an issue with the original installation, and they probably do not want to admit fault and expose themselves to future liabilities. hopefully, their troubleshooting steps are captured within their system, for future reference when other Tesla owners experience similar issues. That said, if they wanted to remain ambiguous about the solution, I would have preferred if they simply pointed to the the software being updated rather than pointing to the USB Hub. As noted, I had already troubleshooted the Hub. Moreover, testing the Hub again after the repairs were completed to verify/debunk their assessment was easy enough to do as well. That said, I am appreciative Tesla took the time to resolve the issue. It's just unfortunate, I wasn't able to bring back anything concrete regarding the repair that may be useful to others with the problem. On a positive note, those experiencing this issue, know that it can be resolved.

@jun3280net I’m a little late with my reply, but I’m glad they could fix the issue on your car !

I, on the other hand, definitely had no luck: they refused to change my SIM card and told me that “the issue is known and engineering is working on a fix” while refusing to give me any timeframe.

Now an old problem has appeared (door handle being funky) for the fourth time on the same handle (the controller and wiring keep failing, I told them multiple time that the wiring looks thin and there probably is a leak somewhere near the controller; but they claim it’s just the controller failing randomly. 4 failures on the exact same handle cannot be a coincidence..) So I’ll make an appointment to get that fixed and will breathe down their neck to get the sleep issue looked at..

@jun3280net I’m a little late with my reply, but I’m glad they could fix the issue on your car !

I, on the other hand, definitely had no luck: they refused to change my SIM card and told me that “the issue is known and engineering is working on a fix” while refusing to give me any timeframe.

Now an old problem has appeared (door handle being funky) for the fourth time on the same handle (the controller and wiring keep failing, I told them multiple time that the wiring looks thin and there probably is a leak somewhere near the controller; but they claim it’s just the controller failing randomly. 4 failures on the exact same handle cannot be a coincidence..) So I’ll make an appointment to get that fixed and will breathe down their neck to get the sleep issue looked at..
@fetzu sorry to hear about your continued troubles. Curious, are the issues related to your local Tesla Service? Do you have the ability to travel to another location, and have a second opinion on your issues? I wonder why they won't swap your sim card - considering that has to be a fairly low cost troubleshooting measure. I wish you all the best - hopefully Christmas and the New Year brings you some resolution and joy.