Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain Overnight.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently my overnight drain is poor too.

My car is garaged and today I’ve popped in every few hours and there is a fan running within the frunk area.

I’ve checked in the app and air con is not running. Overheat protection is off. The temp in the car is not warm.

I’ve performed a reboot and it still happens after a while.

I’m sure this has something to do with my poor battery drain.

Any ideas?
Not something silly like a temperature sensor reading wrong, then the car trying to warm the battery to protect it from a very low temperature. Based on a bad reading?
I'd get tesla to check the logs, if there's a log for the fan.

So, I don't want to jinx this, but my car has slept soundly the past 2 nights, currently on 20 hours asleep. The only recent change I've had is the camera replacement which forced a software update. The thin blue line at the left of this image is when I did the update, so I still had the cycling after that. It appears that from Wednesday, before the charge, the car has been sleeping until I wake it. Temperatures have not changed drastically, still below 3 degrees all day and lower at night. Strange huh?
Screenshot 2021-02-05 at 11.03.36.png

Interestingly, mine has been brilliant for the last couple of days too - but I put it down to having done the hard reset/power down at about 10:00 on Wednesday morning, and apart from 3 hours on Wednesday afternoon when it was awake, it has been flawless since then....

Last2Days.JPG

Reactions: navguy12
My one also seems to have stopped waking over the last few days and have had far less battery drain. I presume something has been pushed to fix. Although I can see it sitting on my WiFi now, so maybe it’s wishful thinking. I remain fingers crossed!

hmm... hopefully a fix then from Tesla, but it would have been nice for them to have fessed up if there was an issue so we at least know what's going on.

^^^ This

Tesla are really poor at communicating what they are doing with things like this. It's pretty obvious that sometimes things go awry with software updates, as owners often report similar issues, like this increase in battery drain that seems to be caused by the car staying awake for much longer than it used to. There was also the major flaw with the chargers being non-compliant with IEC 61851, that meant that externally timed charging didn't work. That fault existed from the time the car was released until around June last year, but was never acknowledged by Tesla, even after they seem to fix it.

It's great that these things seem to get fixed, but it would inspire more confidence in both the car and in Tesla if they were to just tell owners what they've done. All this secrecy around anything to do with software updates, and all the theories and reverse engineering it inspires, does nothing to build confidence that they actually know what they are doing. It gives the impression that software development and testing is run by a bunch of schoolkids, more focussed on playing games than getting things to work reliably as they should.

Interestingly, mine has been brilliant for the last couple of days too - but I put it down to having done the hard reset/power down at about 10:00 on Wednesday morning, and apart from 3 hours on Wednesday afternoon when it was awake, it has been flawless since then....

View attachment 634142

Next time we have excessive drain we'll get you to reboot again :)

• Funny
^^^ This

Tesla are really poor at communicating what they are doing with things like this. It's pretty obvious that sometimes things go awry with software updates, as owners often report similar issues, like this increase in battery drain that seems to be caused by the car staying awake for much longer than it used to. There was also the major flaw with the chargers being non-compliant with IEC 61851, that meant that externally timed charging didn't work. That fault existed from the time the car was released until around June last year, but was never acknowledged by Tesla, even after they seem to fix it.

It's great that these things seem to get fixed, but it would inspire more confidence in both the car and in Tesla if they were to just tell owners what they've done. All this secrecy around anything to do with software updates, and all the theories and reverse engineering it inspires, does nothing to build confidence that they actually know what they are doing. It gives the impression that software development and testing is run by a bunch of schoolkids, more focussed on playing games than getting things to work reliably as they should.

I expect the argument will be that if Tesla ran a change log with all the issues that are patched people will wave them around saying "Look at all the issues with Teslas! You don't see the Polestar 2/Nissan Leaf/Audi eTron with lists like this!" Until all manufacturers agree to it, none of them will voluntarily do it.

hmm... hopefully a fix then from Tesla, but it would have been nice for them to have fessed up if there was an issue so we at least know what's going on.

I know this is not the same thing, but interesting all the same.
Back in the 60s a friend of the family were lucky enough to afford a Rolls Royce (can't recall the model) and were Egypt I think when a half shaft broke & the care only a few months old.
Apparently RR flew a couple of engineers & a new shaft out to him & got him back on the road in about 24 hours. He was so impressed with the service that when he returned home he wrote to one of the national newspapers telling them the story.
However when contacted for confirmation RR denied it saying our half shafts don't break!
On a similar vein BT used to repair private circuits but having said there was no fault!

• Informative

I know this is not the same thing, but interesting all the same.
Back in the 60s a friend of the family were lucky enough to afford a Rolls Royce (can't recall the model) and were Egypt I think when a half shaft broke & the care only a few months old.
Apparently RR flew a couple of engineers & a new shaft out to him & got him back on the road in about 24 hours. He was so impressed with the service that when he returned home he wrote to one of the national newspapers telling them the story.
However when contacted for confirmation RR denied it saying our half shafts don't break!
On a similar vein BT used to repair private circuits but having said there was no fault!

Was the half shaft or a front spring? ;)

Rolls-Royce Special Assistance

So, I don't want to jinx this, but my car has slept soundly the past 2 nights, currently on 20 hours asleep. The only recent change I've had is the camera replacement which forced a software update. The thin blue line at the left of this image is when I did the update, so I still had the cycling after that. It appears that from Wednesday, before the charge, the car has been sleeping until I wake it. Temperatures have not changed drastically, still below 3 degrees all day and lower at night. Strange huh?
View attachment 634139
I've seen nearly the same. Since the early hours of 03/02 my car has been sleeping like a little toddler. Before that it was awake for 5 hours at a time but now it goes to sleep within 15 min (apart from just now after I came back from a drive). I keep my fingers crossed that something has changed and it is now sleeping better.

I've seen nearly the same. Since the early hours of 03/02 my car has been sleeping like a little toddler. Before that it was awake for 5 hours at a time but now it goes to sleep within 15 min (apart from just now after I came back from a drive). I keep my fingers crossed that something has changed and it is now sleeping better.
Back to not sleeping. Car was up for 9 hours last night! Before that it was shown as offline fir 6 hours. What is that about?

I don't have fancy graphs, but my car (SR+) installed 2020.48.35.5 on Monday 25th January, it's been sat on the driveway since Tuesday 26th where I parked it with 73% battery remaining.

Since then the weather has been between -4 and 3 degrees with lots of ice forming on the car overnight and occasional snow around. Sentry mode is disabled while parked at home.

The only App I have and use is the official Tesla one so I know nothing else is connected to the car, I haven't opened the app since I parked it on Tuesday.

Today (2nd of Feb) 1 week later the car is reporting 70% battery remaining. I have never noticed much battery drain when parked at home anyway, but this thread encouraged me to have a look.

Now 13 days later (I was trying for 14 but had to go out today) car is at 68% - so it’s lost 4% over 13 days in temperatures ranging around 0. Other than a quick check with the Tesla app on day 7 it’s been left alone.

Only small issue is that it refused to wake up this morning :)

Mine hasn't changed, the car is still staying on for one to two hours a day and wasting more energy than it used to. Clearly Tesla changed something during one of the updates a few weeks ago to cause this change in behaviour, as until the change it would only turn on for maybe 10 to 15 minutes a day with the car sat, not being used:

Teslamate data 2.jpg