Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain Overnight.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy new year to all.
First time here.
I have a quick question in regards to battery drain and if other members are getting this on their new cars also.
My Tesla model 3 LR was delivered on Wednesday and I have noticed this phantom drain.
On Wednesday night it had 100 miles left and yesterday morning when I checked it had 91 miles range left.
That's 9 miles lost just parked on the drive.
Last night when I parked the car it had a range of 71 miles.
This morning I just checked and the Range is 63 miles.
Is there a setting on the console which I am missing which is draining the battery?
Is it the cold weather?
I don't even have sentry mode on.
I don't even check the app till morning.
If anyone has any idea, I would like to know please as this is my first electric car so just getting used to it.

Thanks,
NC2020.

It's likely temperature related. My car is 17 months old and was typically showing around 295 miles at full charge (on the app slider) until the cold snap. It's now indicating around 285 but then car looks like an ice cube. I don't charge it fully of course but it's a good indicator. Similarly charge showing when I park up after a drive with the car warm then drops away several miles as the car cools down.

That said, the latest decreases seem a bit more than I'd expected and it did happen after the last software update. I'll keep an eye in it but pretty sure it's temperature related. On a new car, very probably the case

• Informative
Reactions: M3-Newbie and CMc1
Been seeing something very similar with a new Model 3 SR+ without sentry mode turned on. We have had some very frosty nights and mornings lately (around 0C), had been meaning to record some numbers and ask but this explanation does seem to fit.

Is there a snowflake symbol? That means that some of the capacity is currently unavailable due to being cold, but will come back as the car warms up (e.g. after an hour of driving).

Otherwise it does sound like the car isn't sleeping properly? Is it plugged in and the charger isn't supplying power? Any third party apps signed in to you account that might be waking it? e.g. EV.Energy, TezLab etc. When you open your app does it saying 'waking car' for about 30 seconds?

Is there a setting on the console which I am missing which is draining the battery?
I'd recommend getting TeslaFi as it should show you when you are lose charge / range...
Charge.jpg

Reactions: Arctic_White
TeslaFi actually drains your battery as the car is on sending the data

Only if setup incorrectly. TeslaFi defaults to a configuration that works well. Under the default setting, TeslaFi will at most delay a sleep by 30 minutes. The rest of the time, TeslaFi will stop polling the car, adding nothing to any normal systems operation/drain.

In the above graph posted by @kelvin 660, the light blue/dotted line is TeslaFi not polling. The ramp up dark blue is the car charging, which it would already have been awake for, the dark blue on the right is the car having been awakened for some reason unrelated to TeslaFi. The only additional battery drain down to TeslaFi, assuming a default setup, is the final 30 minutes of each dark blue segment.

The 30 minutes is easily configurable, and is there to prevent TeslaFi from stopping polling between two consecutive drives within a few (30 default) minutes of each other.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the quick response.
@GRiLLA , Yes it does have Snowflake symbol on the screen.
I still haven't charged the car yet as it was delivered on Wednesday and had enough miles on it for my needs.
No other apps associated to the car apart from Tesla own app.
The app will show on my mobile notification as connected and when I go into the app it does say waking up.

@kelvin 660, I'll have look in to getting TeslaFi.

I still haven't charged the car yet as it was delivered on Wednesday and had enough miles on it for my needs.
If when you go into the app (after an hour+), if it says waking for what seems like ages, then I'd say your car is probably sleeping normally. My M3 goes to sleep after about 15mins (I think).
But if the battery has the blue icon, then yes you'll have missing mileage till it warms up.
You don't have scheduled heating/defrost to come on every morning or anything?
If you walk out to it after its has been a sleep for awhile (without your phone), is it making any noises?

No other apps associated to the car apart from Tesla own app.
The app will show on my mobile notification as connected and when I go into the app it does say waking up.

@kelvin 660, I'll have look in to getting TeslaFi.
Just sounds like it's cold then, nothing to be concerned about. It's only 'lost' until there's some heat back in the battery.

If when you go into the app (after an hour+), if it says waking for what seems like ages, then I'd say your car is probably sleeping normally. My M3 goes to sleep after about 15mins (I think).
But if the battery has the blue icon, then yes you'll have missing mileage till it warms up.
You don't have scheduled heating/defrost to come on every morning or anything?
If you walk out to it after its has been a sleep for awhile (without your phone), is it making any noises?

Yes It does take it's time to wake-up.
In regards the blue battery icon.
I have this.Screenshot_20210101-123903.jpg

Try not to keep opening the app to check the battery. If the car is sleeping (low consumption) it’ll wake up making it use more battery.

as others have said too, your car will be showing less range due the cold weather affect. Stick to % in the settings (instead of miles) and don’t worry about it.
Yeah that's a good point, keep the battery to % and Tesla says it will lose 1% per day (assuming it doesn't wake, else more)

Mine does the same. Bit of a shitter losing 70miles of charge of if its sat on the drive for a week. My Leaf didn't lose anyway near that much
The range is not ‘lost’. If the battery is cold, the BMS will make some capacity ‘unavailable’ until the battery warms up. This can be done by either pre-heating or driving. Once the battery is at a more optimum temperature, the withheld capacity is returned. Of course, added to this will be the inevitable ‘phantom’ drain that occurs all year round when the car is on but not in use; this is more evident during cold weather conditions.

If your on an iPhone add the Tesla widget to the notification centre (or whatever that swipe left screen is called) - that way you can see if the car is asleep without opening the app and causing the car to wake up.

10 miles loss is less than 1% so normal for a Tesla - larger losses as has been pointed out is either temporary due to battery being cold and will regain once the temperature increases or are caused by sentry mode or opening the app regularly causing the car to wake up.

I have sentry disabled at home as it was destroying my battery as steam from a boiler vent near my parking space was triggering it constantly.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel and GoTLSAGo
Happy new year to all.
First time here.
I have a quick question in regards to battery drain and if other members are getting this on their new cars also.
My Tesla model 3 LR was delivered on Wednesday and I have noticed this phantom drain.
On Wednesday night it had 100 miles left and yesterday morning when I checked it had 91 miles range left.
That's 9 miles lost just parked on the drive.
Last night when I parked the car it had a range of 71 miles.
This morning I just checked and the Range is 63 miles.
Is it the cold weather?
I don't even have sentry mode on.
I don't even check the app till morning.
If anyone has any idea, I would like to know please as this is my first electric car so just getting used to it.

Thanks,
NC2020.

Congrats on the new car. RTFM.

That magnifying glass icon above will reveal 1000s is words of wisdom about phantom battery drain, effect of cold weather, etc. from cantankerous old farts who have waxed lyrical before us.

Happy New Year

I charged mine up on the 23/12 to 81% I've not used it at all since. After updating to 2020.48.12.1 and setting up TeslaMate the car seemed to spend a lot of time awake, in a day it seemed to be keep switching between 6hrs asleep 6hrs awake I was thinking I'd setup TeslaMate incorrectly but after doing the update to 2020.48.26 the car seemed to return to a more normal sleep pattern only waking briefly and spending most of the days asleep.

I plugged the car in to charge again on the 30/12 with a percentage of 69% and charged it up again to 81% the car has then spent most of the time since asleep apart from me updating to 2020.48.30 this morning showing with remaining charge of 79%. after the update completed.

Posted without opinion as this is my first EV and I only picked it up 2 weeks ago!