Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain Overnight.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you all for your responses really appreciate it.
It sounds like I was panicking for no reason and a bit of drain is a norm, maybe if I had my display set to % than it would have made more sense than miles.
I am going to change display to % ASAP and I may look into getting TelsaFi.
Also as this is my first EV it's a learning curve so thank you again.

Don't worry about it - unless you actually have an issue. I left my M3 SR+ at an airport for a week and it lost 0%. The YouTube guy in Norway also did the same but in like -5c and it also lost 0%.

If it's actually draining then something may be using the battery that shouldn't, but opening the app and waking the car up uses (a minimal amount) of battery, and as said some of the battery may be unavailable if cold.

Oh and change it to % rather than miles ASAP!

I'd recommend Teslamate over TeslaFi if you can be bothered to set it up.

Sentry mode is hungry - I lose around 20Km/night with sentry on.

Agreed. I noticed the same. Soon as I disabled sentry mode the drain dissipated. I now try to remember to turn on sentry mode overnight only and disable when I wake up.

I’ve seen lots of calculations and what not but I don’t have TeslaFi so would be interested to see extent of difference when sentry mode is on 24/7 and it’s so bloody cold outside! I suppose when temp dips overnight and sentry mode is on that aggravates the drain vs daytime analysis.

There is no reason I can see why temp would affect sentry mode use as the car is already awake. The car might run the front camera module defroster to keep it clean but it isn't likely to increase consumption by a noticeable about.

Sentry is a trade off of security Vs increased energy use really.

Any thoughts on why my car has started waking for three hours at a time every day?

Reactions: Wol747
I also are driving my 2019 M3 since Sep 2020. Last few weeks it seems the phantom drain while parked is extremely high. I lost almost 8% every night. I don’t think I can leave it outside for more than a week... I have no 3rd party apps running, don’t use Sentry mode, know how to read the winter-milage consumption and I know how to optimal charge the car (between 10-90%). I’ve reached out to Tesla and they mentioned that certain updates will come that should prevent this better. My battery degradation is 2%, so it is still ‘like new’. I’m now thinking of doing a test to charge it up to 100% and let it parked in front of my house for weeks, just to see the consumption while parked. I’m just curious how long I can leave my car until I have a dead battery :) Than I’ll turn to Tesla to see what they’ll respond.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I also are driving my 2019 M3 since Sep 2020. Last few weeks it seems the phantom drain while parked is extremely high. I lost almost 8% every night. I don’t think I can leave it outside for more than a week... I have no 3rd party apps running, don’t use Sentry mode, know how to read the winter-milage consumption and I know how to optimal charge the car (between 10-90%). I’ve reached out to Tesla and they mentioned that certain updates will come that should prevent this better. My battery degradation is 2%, so it is still ‘like new’. I’m now thinking of doing a test to charge it up to 100% and let it parked in front of my house for weeks, just to see the consumption while parked. I’m just curious how long I can leave my car until I have a dead battery :) Than I’ll turn to Tesla to see what they’ll respond.
I've noticed since the Christmas update (.26 I think), "phantom drain" has increased.

I think it is now at/around Tesla specs of 1% a day, but definitely much more than before.

My car is parked in an 8C environment, unlocked and left undisturbed.

I'm near the end of a 10 day test (ends at 1930 GMT 10 Jan 2021) to see what the phantom drain rate is.

FWIW: My wifes 2021 Kona EV phantom drain rate (stored in the same garage as my TM3) works out to 17.5 watt hours per day.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I've noticed since the Christmas update (.26 I think), "phantom drain" has increased.

I think it is now at/around Tesla specs of 1% a day, but definitely much more than before.

My car is parked in an 8C environment, unlocked and left undisturbed.

I'm near the end of a 10 day test (ends at 1930 GMT 10 Jan 2021) to see what the phantom drain rate is.

FWIW: My wifes 2021 Kona EV phantom drain rate (stored in the same garage as my TM3) works out to 17.5 watt hours per day.

Does seem the update has caused issues. I lost 6% in 18 hours last night. Even accounting for the temperature change that is crap.
Given I've tried everything else (it's been discussed in the update thread too)
Raised a service ticket and got a text within an hour saying it had been passed to virtual service to review. So will see what happens.

Be interested to hear your results as it sounds like you have a fairly stable test environment

Does seem the update has caused issues. I lost 6% in 18 hours last night. Even accounting for the temperature change that is crap.
Given I've tried everything else (it's been discussed in the update thread too)
Raised a service ticket and got a text within an hour saying it had been passed to virtual service to review. So will see what happens.

Be interested to hear your results as it sounds like you have a fairly stable test environment

01.16jan2021.jpg

Back of napkin math: assuming a usable capacity of about 72 kWh, the daily "vampire" drain is about 216 Wh per day.

• Informative
Reactions: Godsense
I've just found my S going into charge mode again shortly after finishing the set charge of 70%.
I'm beginning to wonder if the program for keeping at a set charge state doesn't have a hysteresis level set wide enough, or whether that's been changed during one of the updates?
If the vehicle wakes up, fires up the computer and starts charging when the SOC goes just below the setting it would certainly give a large drain over time.

I’ve lost 3% overnight while the car is not plugged in. Is this usual?

Do you have sentry mode turned on?

Did you use the app a few times to check the car?

Anything that wakes the car up can cause it to use power. When awake, whether with sentry mode running, or for some other reason, the car systems will use around 200 W to 300 W of power from the battery. When asleep, the drain from the HV battery is zero, as the main contactor opens to isolate it, and any remaining drain comes from the 12 V battery. If that gets low, the car will wake up and use the main HV battery to charge the 12 V battery.

I last went out in my car late on the 23rd December and on the way home home I topped up at a Supercharger so that when I parked up on the drive it had 90% charge left. Sentry mode is off. I occasionally open the boot and I also check for updates so it gets woken up most days by the app on my phone. Over the period there has also been a couple of software updates and I also use Teslafi.

It’s a September 2020 M3P and has lost 16% in just over 24 days 8 hours without moving. I’m not worrying about it.

Do you have sentry mode turned on?

Did you use the app a few times to check the car?

Anything that wakes the car up can cause it to use power. When awake, whether with sentry mode running, or for some other reason, the car systems will use around 200 W to 300 W of power from the battery. When asleep, the drain from the HV battery is zero, as the main contactor opens to isolate it, and any remaining drain comes from the 12 V battery. If that gets low, the car will wake up and use the main HV battery to charge the 12 V battery.

i don’t currently use sentry mode as the USB A port in the glovebox does not work (service appointment booked to fix). I didn’t open the app either so the car should have been asleep all night. I’m not using any third party apps to record data, so that shouldn’t impact it either. I wasn’t expecting the drain to be so much when it should have just been asleep all night.