Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain Overnight.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to add to the data, my car always used to wake up once a day when parked up and stay online for around 10 to15 minutes, so drawing around 200 to 300 W from the battery, before going back to sleep again. It has followed this pattern all through last year, losing perhaps 0.1% of battery capacity per day. This doesn't show on Teslamate, as that resolves battery capacity to 1%, so it takes ten days without the car being driven to register a 1% loss.

Since the update just after Christmas, the behaviour of my car has changed markedly. It still wakes up once per day, but now stays online and awake for between 1 and 2 hours each time. This has noticeably increased the loss, assuming 250 W as the mean power when awake, then the loss has increased from under 0.1% per day to about 0.65% per day. Lower than some here are reporting, but still a very big increase from what it used to be. It's now staying online for around 11% of the time, versus around 1% of the time before.

The things I've done to try and eliminate anything spurious that we're doing being the cause are to make sure both our phones are physically switched off (they pretty much always are anyway at home, as we don't get a signal here), make sure the Android tablet that I leave always on with the Tesla app running is physically turned off and I've also tucked the remote control away in our metal keybox, in case that was somehow waking the car up. The only connection I still have running is Teslamate on a Raspberry Pi, but that is set so that it only talks to the Tesla API and does not wake the car up.

I've concluded from the pattern of wake ups that this is a software issue, that probably started around the time that 2020.48.26 was rolled out, as far as I can tell. This is the latest Teslamate data, showing the car staying awake and online for ~2 hours per day:

Teslamate data 1.jpg

I've concluded from the pattern of wake ups that this is a software issue, that probably started around the time that 2020.48.26 was rolled out, as far as I can tell. This is the latest Teslamate data, showing the car staying awake and online for ~2 hours per day:

View attachment 633226

Thanks for that. Hopefully it is a software problem. Mine started when I moved to 48.30, but I moved straight from 48.12.1, so anything above that could be the culprit.

Thanks for that. Hopefully it is a software problem. Mine started when I moved to 48.30, but I moved straight from 48.12.1, so anything above that could be the culprit.

It could easily be related to 202.48.30, as my car did both the 2020.48.26 and 202.48.30 updates on the same day, for some odd reason, and I didn't get to use it between the two updates.

Thanks for thr warning - will give it a try anyway, as it would definitely be worth it if it sorts out my drain issues!

I'll report back.....
... one other weird thing - the only available superchargers were in the Netherlands (NL eSIM) even though my car was in California! It took less than a mile for the location to change back to the UK but our Superchargers only came back a couple of hours later once i decided to search for a specific UK location.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
I don't have fancy graphs, but my car (SR+) installed 2020.48.35.5 on Monday 25th January, it's been sat on the driveway since Tuesday 26th where I parked it with 73% battery remaining.

Since then the weather has been between -4 and 3 degrees with lots of ice forming on the car overnight and occasional snow around. Sentry mode is disabled while parked at home.

The only App I have and use is the official Tesla one so I know nothing else is connected to the car, I haven't opened the app since I parked it on Tuesday.

Today (2nd of Feb) 1 week later the car is reporting 70% battery remaining. I have never noticed much battery drain when parked at home anyway, but this thread encouraged me to have a look.

Folks - just a word of caution if planning a full ‘screen safety & security button’ reset as described in post #126 above.

I had to do this twice at Tesla’s request during December & on both occasions the car returned to its original factory condition (map even showed me parked in Fremont until I started to drive). The current software WAS still installed on the car but all history was lost except total miles driven - historical kWh had reset to zero and most driver & car settings had changed back to default ( inc Netflix/Google logins etc)

I’m not sure if this would happen for everybody but it was quite a faff having to go into virtually every car setting for myself and my wife & reset everything (twice)
Interesting.

What you describe has never happened in my situation, but that doesn't mean it won't happen to some else.

Interesting.

What you describe has never happened in my situation, but that doesn't mean it won't happen to some else.

I had just finished supercharging at Hopwood, all connectivity had disappeared so was on the phone with Tesla Stockport Tech following their instructions during the first hard reset.

Maybe my experience is different to others because I was told to remain in the car, motionless for a full five minutes before pressing the brake pedal (absolutely still in the seat without touching anything, Tesla closed the call & said they would ring back 10 mins later, which they did).

As soon as I pressed the brake the car slowly came back to its original as-built state and the Tech on the phone relayed back to me everything they had been remotely monitoring on the logs, both prior and now.

I can only surmise that others rebooting the car via the screen are waiting for a shorter period before moving or touching something. When I expressed concern that my map was now showing the car parked in Fremont CA, the impression I got was that all this was completely normal and to be expected.

The second occasion I had to do this was at home because I had just updated to the next software release and did my usual two button-brake reset (done after every prior update) but connectivity disappeared again. After another inert 5 minute full reboot session the car restarted once more in the same way as at Hopwood.

Tesla called a week later and went through everything the logs had shown since and I even received a lengthy text summarising their findings and closing the incident.

Since then everything has been back as before with the reassurance of occasional phantom braking, blocked LH camera, UI changes & new bugs with subsequent software releases which lets me know I've arrived back to the same level as the rest of you - Phew!

So....if anyone else does a full reset via the screen, perhaps don't wait too long unless you really do want a total reboot (Californian desert did look quite tempting on a cold wet winters day though)

• Informative
I don't have fancy graphs, but my car (SR+) installed 2020.48.35.5 on Monday 25th January, it's been sat on the driveway since Tuesday 26th where I parked it with 73% battery remaining.

Since then the weather has been between -4 and 3 degrees with lots of ice forming on the car overnight and occasional snow around. Sentry mode is disabled while parked at home.

The only App I have and use is the official Tesla one so I know nothing else is connected to the car, I haven't opened the app since I parked it on Tuesday.

Today (2nd of Feb) 1 week later the car is reporting 70% battery remaining. I have never noticed much battery drain when parked at home anyway, but this thread encouraged me to have a look.

Is your car plugged into a charge point and connected to wifi when it's parked at home? It just crossed my mind that the cars may be doing more waking up to communicate with "base" if they know they are on wifi and/or plugged in ... just speculating. I had a notion that mine loses less if parked across the road and off wifi, and not plugged in, but that could be pure coincidence.

Is your car plugged into a charge point and connected to wifi when it's parked at home? It just crossed my mind that the cars may be doing more waking up to communicate with "base" if they know they are on wifi and/or plugged in ... just speculating. I had a notion that mine loses less if parked across the road and off wifi, and not plugged in, but that could be pure coincidence.
Mine is not plugged in and I've tried it with wifi both on and off - no difference. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado

I forgot to mention that - but yes my car is not plugged in and although WiFi is enabled the coverage where it’s parked is intermittent so I’d assume it’s probably not connected to the WiFi.

I can only surmise that others rebooting the car via the screen are waiting for a shorter period before moving or touching something
Agreed.

Unless one hears that HVAC temperature blend door "noise" at the 2 minute mark, it's not a real full shut down.

Most folks will use the full shut down and then open a door to exit the vehicle, thereby negating the procedure because some electrical device is being "woken up" during the 120 second time period.

Recently my overnight drain is poor too.

My car is garaged and today I’ve popped in every few hours and there is a fan running within the frunk area.

I’ve checked in the app and air con is not running. Overheat protection is off. The temp in the car is not warm.

I’ve performed a reboot and it still happens after a while.

I’m sure this has something to do with my poor battery drain.

Any ideas?

• Helpful
Reactions: H Mak
That definitely sounds as if something is awry. Clearly for a fan to be running something has to be turned on and drawing a fair bit of power. Tesla might be able to determine what's happening from the logs, as I'm pretty sure that an event like this would be recorded. Last time I had a minor glitch with something not behaving as expected, the service centre were able to check the logs whilst I was on the phone to them. They just asked me to make sure the car was awake and connected to wifi, and within a minute or so the chap was able to view the logs and pinpoint the problem. Hopefully they might be able to do the same for you.

Recently my overnight drain is poor too.

My car is garaged and today I’ve popped in every few hours and there is a fan running within the frunk area.

I’ve checked in the app and air con is not running. Overheat protection is off. The temp in the car is not warm.

I’ve performed a reboot and it still happens after a while.

I’m sure this has something to do with my poor battery drain.

Any ideas?

When you say you popped in, do you mean you went into the garage to have a look, or you opened a door on your car?

Seems obvious, but remember every time you interact with the car you're going to wake it up and set it off doing what it does (including random fan operation for no apparent reason).

Not meaning to sound smug or anything but the maximum I have ever seen overnight from a sleeping car is 2% and that was from a supermarket run at 7am on day one and a quick drive late afternoon on day 2 (in December). Even after recent cold nights the car shows 1% loss if I either drive or bother to check the app (rarely do).

Last week it wasn't used for 3 days including one night below zero and had lost only 2% overall on that occasion too.

(I will also add off-topic that on 48.35.5 I have been so far impressed that Netflix works almost instantly and closes promptly without crashing or any of the issues I had with a few previous updates. I was at Tesco this morning & stayed on the charger for a further 35 minutes watching a documentary. It's probably tempting fate to say that on many short drives & four at 17m so far, 35.5 has behaved very well)

Not meaning to sound smug or anything but the maximum I have ever seen overnight from a sleeping car is 2% and that was from a supermarket run at 7am on day one and a quick drive late afternoon on day 2 (in December). Even after recent cold nights the car shows 1% loss if I either drive or bother to check the app (rarely do).

Last week it wasn't used for 3 days including one night below zero and had lost only 2% overall on that occasion too.

(I will also add off-topic that on 48.35.5 I have been so far impressed that Netflix works almost instantly and closes promptly without crashing or any of the issues I had with a few previous updates. I was at Tesco this morning & stayed on the charger for a further 35 minutes watching a documentary. It's probably tempting fate to say that on many short drives & four at 17m so far, 35.5 has behaved very well)

That's interesting, mine will sometimes stay asleep for days without waking and without loosing any charge. Occassionally it will wake up once, always at the night time charge start time usually for 14, 18 or 31 minutes & again rarely loosing anything or maybe 1% max.