Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain while car is sitting idle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Battery drain while car is sitting idle. Moving to a new city, and have left my Tesla S there for a couple of weeks, before I return. I’ve noticed the battery is draining and a fairly rapid rate, even though it is just parked. I turned off Sentry and climate control. Is there anything else I should do?

do you have any 3rd party apps installed? is cabin temp off? is always connected off? there are some things that drain the battery excessively. before I knew it I was losing almost 15 miles a night until I shut all the extra stuff off and then it became 1-2 miles a night.
if possible just keep the car plugged in while it is being stored

While I agree with most of what is in this article, there are a couple points that are either outdated or do not match my experience.

First is the comment of leaving plugged in with charging limit set to 50%. While I do not disagree with that approach, the part that is outdated is the statement that it will let the car drop to ~45% before recharging. Since a few months ago the logic appears to start charging whenever SOC drops below the set point, so what will happen is the car will regularly wake up to charge for a very short time period. While that's not necessarily a bad thing, it is not necessarily that energy efficient. The recharge strategy I've adopted while away from my car is to do something like a 50-70% cycle. Leave US with car at ~70%, plugged in, recharge limit set to 50. Then after 2-3 weeks as SOC is getting in the low 50s I'll reset charge limit to 70, let it charge, then once complete reset charge limit to 50. I have my own logging/monitoring script I have running and actually just implemented an automated charge maintenance function to do this (have my first proto of that code block running right now, should trip an automated recharge cycle later today provide no flaws in my logic).

The second point, and this is more the case of not matching my experience, is that for older MCU1 vehicles I do not find leaving always connected set to on makes much difference. The bigger benefit is from turning on energy saving. This combination of energy saving on with always connected on is what I've used since getting my MS90D in mid-2016 and found it works well with minimal vampire loss.

The one factor that might be contributing at this time of the year, especially in the US is ambient temp. I'm overseas on assignment with my car sitting in my garage plugged in over 5,000 miles away. I've noticed in the past couple weeks that my daily parasitic range loss has about doubled, from typically a little less than 1% to nearer to 2%. I've attributed that to the fact that it's much colder, and even with my car sitting in an unheated garage, I'm seeing much more influence all other things being equal.