Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain while parked or car in storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a private FastPark lot in Milwaukee that offers 120v outlets in back. Use your own charger. They said to just leave car plugged in while I was gone. Very slow to charge but hit 85% and held it before I returned. Look for that near you.
I checked out Omaha's new north parking garage a few weeks ago -- they have four Level 2 chargers, but I could not find one 110 VAC outlet on all the levels.

Are you running Teslafi or any other third party software? If so, those can drain the battery as well. In Teslafi's case, there are some changes you can make which would allow the car to sleep and thus minimize the battery loss.

I've left my car in CLT's airport for a couple of weeks with minimal loss (had range mode on, shut off preconditioning, etc.) with Teslafi associated with my X.

• Informative
Reactions: Tron 3
I usually park near where DIA has their level 2 chargers. They are almost always full, with plug in hybrids. My last trip was a row of model 3s. As I walked past, I got flashed by almost all of them. So it is very easy to trigger sentry mode.
And the problem with Level 2 chargers is that the drivers could be gone for several days, so those EV charging spots are now used up. Better for the (expensive) Level 2 chargers to be used by same-day/overnight travelers and make (almost negligible cost) 110 VAC/20A outlets available for everyone else who is gone for a longer time period.

• Informative
I'm feeling anxious about leaving my car for a week at Christmas (cold in Denver), can anyone please assure me if I leave it with about 80% charge (what it would take to get there from a full charge) will I have enough to get home?

How about leave your car at home and have it plug-in, although it doesn’t need charge but it won’t drain the battery. The battery will last longer this way. You should just take Uber to the airport for any long term parking. This is electric car, different from gas car.

I'm feeling anxious about leaving my car for a week at Christmas (cold in Denver), can anyone please assure me if I leave it with about 80% charge (what it would take to get there from a full charge) will I have enough to get home?
I left my X at Airport (4) days and it drained 100 miles of range. Temps were in the 40’s & 50’s. I was shocked. At dealer today for other issues and he said they have to rescue folks all the time.

If you are using Teslafi or any of the other car monitoring apps, SOMETIMES they can keep your car awake... Turn the car off & let us know your real energy loss when you return. It won’t be anywhere near the 20% it took you to get there.

Sometimes a charge to 100% just before you leave helps with warming the battery and range anxiety :0o

• Helpful
If you are using Teslafi or any of the other car monitoring apps, SOMETIMES they can keep your car awake... Turn the car off & let us know your real energy loss when you return. It won’t be anywhere near the 20% it took you to get there.

Sometimes a charge to 100% just before you leave helps with warming the battery and range anxiety :0o
I left my M3 unplugged during a 5-week vacation oversees. It had dropped less than 10% when I returned.

Charging to 80% for your extended park at the airport in cold weather should be fine. The advice about Sentry Mode etc. is good advice. However, to maintain good battery health, I wouldn't charge over 80% as some have suggested, when you're not going to use that charge right away. Generally, charging above 80% is used on trips where you're going to blow off that full charge right away, not when you're planning to leave the car parked for an extended period. Enjoy your trip!

I have done this a lot. The 1% loss per day that people used to experience is no longer an issue. There is no need to try to find a way to leave it plugged in or to charge above 80%. As others have mentioned, sentry mode uses power and should be off. Parked and sleeping, your model 3 will use less than 5% in two weeks. Checking on the Tesla app every day or two is no big deal and won't make much difference, so it is fine to do that if you feel like it. Vampire drain is a myth from a bygone time.

I have taken the option of leaving my car plugged in at home and taking a Lyft to the airport. Less stress, door to door service and the cost of the ride was only slightly more than the daily rate at the airport. That being said, I am only 30 miles from the airport.

• Helpful
Not sure what this has to do with anything... this is a privacy feature.
Sure go ahead and leave it on, Ive already test this as one of the drainers but you know more then all of us. Leave it on.

Zero Drain in 12 hours, posted results in another thread, but it’s a privacy feature LoL.

Airport Parking make sure you turn this one off, check no on both boxes.

Fred

Last edited:

I've never tried it, but if you are paranoid, try this place:
Juice Bar EV Stations | Canopy Airport Parking®

In addition, DIA garage parking DOES have free chargers as well, BUT, they are limited and I've seen ppl on Denver Post and /. indicate that they would ICE them.

• Helpful
Read your manual.

D7D218F0-B690-4133-AEF3-4A86A17071E8.jpeg

I did a little test once (model 3) parked in a parking garage for a day, with sentry mode on, it was about -10 miles per day.

Of course, your mileage drainage may vary depending upon how often sentry mode triggers (like if you have a lot of people walking by the car).

• Helpful
I'm going on a 15 day vacation. I will not have the ability to leave my car plugged in while I am away. Should I be worried about having an empty battery when I return? Anything you'd recommend to keep phantom drain as low as possible?
I have a Model 3 - Long Range.

I discounted the idea of leaving mine at Airport Parking when I compared the cost of Uber/Lyft to the daily parking rate and the hassle of checking in and catching their shuttle both ways. I'm sure the car will survive, but maybe you would sleep better knowing it is tucked in safely at home?

• Helpful
Reactions: Tron 3 and duanra